PDA

View Full Version : To flip flop or not?

johnny84
06-23-2010, 21:50
I am a current thru hiker considering a flip flop at Harper's Ferry. I will be there this week and plan on taking a few days off at home as I am from Baltimore. Please give advice on the idea of going southbound to finnish my thru hike at HF. The choice is not the matter of timing but for the adventure. Thank you all for your time and consideration. GoNzO

max patch
06-24-2010, 14:20
If you do that you will hike in NE in the summer instead of in the fall. And you really don't want to miss NE in fall.

Skyline
06-24-2010, 15:06
What Max Patch said.

But you can have the best of both worlds! Delay your flip-flop until late July to mid-August, depending upon your pace. Then you'll get Maine in August and perhaps part of September; much of the rest of New England while leaves are turning. Bring cold weather gear tho, but you knew that.

Spokes
06-24-2010, 17:21
I struggled with the exact same issue while planning my thru hike last year. In the end I decided a flip-flop was antithetical to the whole idea of a thru-hike. I'm glad I went NOBO.

I must say the anticipation of seeing that sign atop Mt. Katahdin is what kept me motivated each day on the trail. Of course hiking up and seeing it come into view through the fog then finally being able to touch it was the climax of the whole experience.

Why waste an exhilarating feeling like that just walking back into Harper's Ferry?

billslade
06-24-2010, 23:34
Gonzo - keep heading north and save the best for last. Enjoy your time on the trail it will be over before you know it. Let the big K pull you onward.

johnny84
06-28-2010, 23:21
Thank you all for your time. I will keep walking NOBO!