PDA

View Full Version : food drops in massachusetts

tenlots
06-23-2010, 22:10
All this info is great,but kinda old. I looked in the new hiker companion but sometimes the ones on the trail know best. I am looking to hike ct to vermont in early sept. I can only carry 4 days of food and then need to reup. Any advise and info would be greatly appreciated....tenlots

grayfox
06-24-2010, 09:14
The data books will be your best source of info.

That said, you know the problems for resupply in Mass. High prices and not much close to the trail.

I spent some time in Great Barrington, visiting dead relatives in the cemetary and camping in nearby parks. Here is a link to a pdf of October Mt State Forest. You might be able to use the info on trail access that it shows.

The Park is beautiful. I drove the rental car over the mountain and saw a wolf while I camped there!

grayfox
06-24-2010, 09:18
Yeah, I'm not awake yet.... http://www.mass.gov (http://www.mass.gov/)

grayfox
06-24-2010, 09:22
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/octm.htm OK try this..sorry.

berkshirebirder
06-24-2010, 09:44
grayfox, you saw a WOLF on October Mt? Not coyote but wolf?

burger
06-24-2010, 10:51
grayfox, you saw a WOLF on October Mt? Not coyote but wolf?
A wolf isn't out of the realm of possibility--one was killed in northern MA a couple of years ago.

But, yeah, coyote is a zillion times more likely.

grayfox
06-24-2010, 12:55
OK, so this is kind of a funny story. I think it was 2004.

I set up camp in the park kind of late and made a quick dinner. It was late Oct. so the light was fading fast. A camper pulled in as I was finishing and I could see the people through the brush that was between the campsites. As I doused my campfire and headed to the tent, the guy called out to me, "Just wanted to let you know that we have a dog and he likes to visit other people. Didn't want him to scare you in the dark" I answered, "Oh, that's OK. I like dogs and they like me."

I was so tired that I just put my dinner dishes and pots and pans in the open tent vestibule and went to sleep. I knew that was a bad idea but I figured the neighbors dog would bark and keep any wild animals away. Sometime in the night I heard the dishes clatter and looked out the open screen door. I saw a long black snout with big fuzzy ears and big black eyes. My first thought was no wonder they think their dog might scare people, he looks just like a wolf. I thought he must be a big German Shepherd or somethng. So I said, "Go home. I ate it all and there's nothing left for you." He backed up silently and was gone instantly. I made a mental note to not leave any dishes out the next night and went back to sleep.

So, the next mornng I was having breakfast and I hear my neighbors moving about. I hear a dog bark and rustling in the bushes. The neighbor calls to the dog to come back. But as I turn to toward them I am very suprised to see a small terrier dog run to me from the brush. He is closely followed by his master.

I say, "Is this your dog."

He says, 'Yes."

"Your only dog?"

"Yeah, why?"

I did not tell him why or tell anyone what I was sure I had seen in the night. It is never a good idea to tell people about seeing a wild animal because it does nothing for you and can be real bad for the animal. But later I did overhear some people who do not share my concern talking about rumors of wolf sightings in the area.

One can never be sure, of course. But I have been to the Wolf Center up in Ely when I was canoeing the boundary waters and I am pretty sure that what I saw was a wolf. It was the eyes more than the color and size Coyote eyes are very different.