PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade Question

Goonky
06-24-2010, 09:48
New to hiking, any thoughts welcome.

A few years back I did a day climb of Mt Katahdin with some friends. It was very hot - almost 100 degrees and as you probably know, there is no dry heat in Maine, it's very humid.

We thought we could get up early and beat the heat and I was told it would be significantly cooler on the top of the mountain. Neither proved to be the case. I did try and eat and drink along the hike but I eventually got to a point where I couldn't eat or drink without feeling like I was going to throw up. I realize this was probably the onset of heat exhaustion, and I obviously had not been drinking and eating enough. The only thing that got me through that hike was at every water source - stream or pond, I jumped in and got wet to cool myself down. Needless to say, it's dangerous to let this happen, and it also made for a miserable hike.

After we got back to the car, one of my friends told me to stop at the first convenience store I came to and to get a gatorade and chug it. I did that, and in minutes I felt a thousand percent better. It was amazing to me the difference that it made.

Since then I have always hiked with at least powdered gatorade. I am planning a 3 day solo hike in 2 weeks and it's been hot here in Maine. I've never done a solo overnight and want to make sure I am well prepared and handle it well. Here's my question : While I definitely understand the importance of drinking water while hiking, would it be better to just drink gatorade if it's that hot? I have a 2 liter camelbak and thought I would keep water in that, and then carry one 1 liter water bottle and put gatorade in that and work back and forth between the two.

I don't want to get into a situation again where I've become dehyrdrated to the point where I can't drink or eat. It was scary. Really, looking back, the weather was so awful, it was probably dangerous to let people climb. I don't know though, maybe better preparation on my part would have been enough.

Any thoughts welcome on dealing with hydration and the heat.

ebandlam
06-24-2010, 09:58
The issue was not with dehydration as much as it was with loss of electrolytes. I have felt the same way when I am out mowing the lawn for a long time in the Atlanta heat. When we sweat, our natural tenancy is to drink more water, but we need to keep in mind that we replenish the loss of salt. Gatorade does exactly that - replace salts and electrolytes. This is also the reason why it works well when one is nauseous (sp). There is a technical name for this condition where the body losses quite a bit of salt and for the life of me I can remember the name at this very moment (hypo-------).

fredmugs
06-24-2010, 10:02
With regards to hydration I have seen some of the worst advice given here on WB. Be very careful.

I used to be a Gatorade person as well but it never really satisfied my thrist the way water does. The first time I hiked in GA my hiking partner ran out of water and I gave him my Gatorade to drink. He got really sick from it and apparently Gatorade has never sat well with him but obviously that's not the case with you.

My personal opinion is you do not have to drink ONLY Gatarode. You might want to consider drinking water while you are on the move and Gatorade with meals. Later in the day and before you go to bed you might want to stick with water because it will probably help you sleep better.

Don't let anybody on here tell you that you need to consume a certain quantity of anything. Nobody knows you and how you react. If you like Gatorade drink it.

ebandlam
06-24-2010, 10:10
To add to fredmugs point - Gatorade is one option among many, to replenish electrolytes or salts. One suggestion that I have read is also to add a bit of salt to water. I have not tried this..

Spokes
06-24-2010, 10:13
....... There is a technical name for this condition where the body losses quite a bit of salt and for the life of me I can remember the name at this very moment (hypo-------).

Hyponatremia

Pedaling Fool
06-24-2010, 10:13
The issue was not with dehydration as much as it was with loss of electrolytes. I have felt the same way when I am out mowing the lawn for a long time in the Atlanta heat. When we sweat, our natural tenancy is to drink more water, but we need to keep in mind that we replenish the loss of salt. Gatorade does exactly that - replace salts and electrolytes. This is also the reason why it works well when one is nauseous (sp). There is a technical name for this condition where the body losses quite a bit of salt and for the life of me I can remember the name at this very moment (hypo-------).
I basically agree with this.

But don't think you can substitue gatorade-type drinks for water, it's only real attribute is that it replaces electrolytes.

If you're sweating enough and only drink sport's drinks you will dehydrate.

My personal approach is a healthy diet of homemade food (dehydrated veggies and jerky). The jerky has ample salt in it to get me through.

bigcranky
06-24-2010, 10:14
Gatorade is okay. I like to mix it half strength.

Lately I have been using Gookinaid ERG and found it works very well for me. I drink a liter at the end of the day, before making dinner.

Tinker
06-24-2010, 10:25

Lately I have been using Gookinaid ERG and found it works very well for me. I drink a liter at the end of the day, before making dinner.

I used to use Gookinaid exclusively while hiking as an electrolyte replacement in addition to filtered water. Lately I've been using Gatorade, liquid (diluted) or powdered (weak). Gatorade makes me queasy if I consume it full strength while hiking. After a hike it's easier for my stomach to handle full strength.
REI used to carry Gookinaid powder in a tub. I haven't seen it there lately.

Ken - Where did you pick up your Gookinaid?

Virginia Trails
06-24-2010, 10:46
I like to drink plain water, and get my electrolytes from a chewable gummy-type format (like Clif Shot Bloks http://www.clifshot.com/food/products_shot_bloks/)

Whenever I drink Gatorade, my mouth always feels sticky and pasty from the sugar. Water just quenches my thirst better. Of course, everyone has their own personal preferences. It doesn't really matter what you do, as long as your body is getting what it needs.

Panzer1
06-24-2010, 10:55
you should rely mostly on water but carry a single serving of powered gatorade for emergencies.

Panzer

Tuckahoe
06-24-2010, 11:05
In real life I am a blacksmith, so I know about working in the heat and humidity. So, if I might add, when it comes to keeping hydrated, hydration has to start well before your planned activity.

Elder
06-24-2010, 11:05
A little known property of Gatorade is that taste is an important indicater of your personal need for salt/electrolytes.
It was designed to replace sweat..
when you first drink it, it may have virtually no flavor...you need it!
shortly, your body absorbs the electrolytes, the flavor becomes more pronounced.
So, drink it regularly while hiking/sweating, if it tastes strong, drink water.
I like a weak mix myself.

Spokes
06-24-2010, 11:49
Gatorade is so-so. That "makes me feel better" sensation is more the result of a short lived sugar high. But since Gatorade is readily available it'll do in a pinch.

Now for peak performance you really need to avoid simple sugar consumption (like what's in Gatorade) and focus more on ingesting complex sugars like maltodextrins or glucose polymers available in a variety of other endurance products.

See more about the 10 biggest mistakes endurance athletes make here (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/the-10-biggest-mistakes-endurance-athletes-make.1273.html?sect=essential-knowledge-section).

Phreak
06-24-2010, 12:24
Gatorade needs to be diluted to 50% strength for optimum absorption. I can't drink full strength sports drinks... way too much sugar for my system. I also take Endurolytes (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes.elt.html) for electrolyte replacement.

skinewmexico
06-24-2010, 12:31
I've been having good luck with these - http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

and that way I can just drink plain water, which I like better than gatorade.

peakbagger
06-24-2010, 13:06
An alternative to Gatoraid is NUUN tablets, they are electrolyte replacements with no sugar. I used to use Gatoraide hiking but found that afterwhile I didnt want the sugar. THe lemon lime Nuuns are about the best flavor.

Goonky
06-24-2010, 13:57
Thank you all so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I will definitely drink water as my main source and only use Gatorade perhaps at meal times as one of you suggested, or if I feel I need it. I'll look into the other resources for replacing electrolytes as well.

Since I'm a newbie, I may just post my food list next week before I leave and let you guys critique it. :) I want to eat as healthy as possible, but also carry as little weight as possible obviously. My other food fear is carrying either too much or not enough food.

This forum is so wonderful, it has helped me so much and answered lots of questions and alleviated lots of fears. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

bigcranky
06-24-2010, 14:02
I
Ken - Where did you pick up your Gookinaid?

At REI and our local outfitter. But to tell the truth, I haven't bought any in a year. Need to find some for this upcoming hike.

twosticks
06-24-2010, 15:14
What about those propel packets? It uses sucralose instead of sugar and it have the electrolytes and other things as well.

yaduck9
06-24-2010, 15:22
Just to coattail on to what everyone else has stated.

Try to stay hydrated, if you become thirsty you are probably dehydrated.

Be aware of the amount of sugar in Gatorade. Read the label on the bottle, can't remember the exact number but it is a bit scary IMHO. The label will state how many servings the bottle contains, so drinking the whole quart may be equivalent to drinking two to four daily servings of sugar....problematic. Cutting it in half ( or even a quarter ) with water may be the healthy thing to do...

You may want to consider a snack size bag of potato chips, or salted nuts, and straight water as an alternative.

Might want to consult a doctor on what he recommends.

Just my two cents.....

daddytwosticks
06-24-2010, 15:53
Agree w/Peakbagger...tried the NUUN tabs and liked them. I do believe they may have some sort of artificial sweetener in them? :)

turtle fast
06-24-2010, 16:39
Another NUUN fan....I like the fizzyness. The tablets remind me of alka-seltzers in water, but they have a good light taste. The only problem is that they were expensive.

Philetus
06-24-2010, 17:43
I haven't tried NUUN, but I'm guessing that CamelBak's house brand is pretty similar. I found these in Neels Gap and feel in love with them:

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/elixir/lemonlime.aspx
(http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/elixir/lemonlime.aspx)

I like the sugar-free aspect, and I like tablets over powder. My basic routine was to drink plenty of water at a source before we started a day, then have a 20ish-oz sports bottle with one of those with lunch and with dinner. Seemed to work well for me. YMMV

TexasEd
06-24-2010, 17:57
In real life I am a blacksmith, so I know about working in the heat and humidity. So, if I might add, when it comes to keeping hydrated, hydration has to start well before your planned activity.

This is important.

You have to drink before you hike and during your hike to prevent dehydration.

DapperD
06-24-2010, 21:21

A few years back I did a day climb of Mt Katahdin with some friends. It was very hot - almost 100 degrees and as you probably know, there is no dry heat in Maine, it's very humid.

We thought we could get up early and beat the heat and I was told it would be significantly cooler on the top of the mountain. Neither proved to be the case. I did try and eat and drink along the hike but I eventually got to a point where I couldn't eat or drink without feeling like I was going to throw up. I realize this was probably the onset of heat exhaustion, and I obviously had not been drinking and eating enough. The only thing that got me through that hike was at every water source - stream or pond, I jumped in and got wet to cool myself down. Needless to say, it's dangerous to let this happen, and it also made for a miserable hike.

After we got back to the car, one of my friends told me to stop at the first convenience store I came to and to get a gatorade and chug it. I did that, and in minutes I felt a thousand percent better. It was amazing to me the difference that it made.

Since then I have always hiked with at least powdered gatorade. I am planning a 3 day solo hike in 2 weeks and it's been hot here in Maine. I've never done a solo overnight and want to make sure I am well prepared and handle it well. Here's my question : While I definitely understand the importance of drinking water while hiking, would it be better to just drink gatorade if it's that hot? I have a 2 liter camelbak and thought I would keep water in that, and then carry one 1 liter water bottle and put gatorade in that and work back and forth between the two.

I don't want to get into a situation again where I've become dehyrdrated to the point where I can't drink or eat. It was scary. Really, looking back, the weather was so awful, it was probably dangerous to let people climb. I don't know though, maybe better preparation on my part would have been enough.

Any thoughts welcome on dealing with hydration and the heat.As other's have said regarding the heat, wether it be hiking, biking, working outside in it, etc...the most important rule in my opinion, the Golden one so to speak, is to not let yourself get dehydrated. This is most likely what happened to yourself. Besides avoiding the hottest part of the day if possible, limiting physical activity when very hot and humid, wearing proper clothing, etc...staying hydrated is numero uno. Allowing oneself to even become slightly dehydrated equates to a marked drop in physical performance and ability. Thirst is a lousy indicator of dehydration. Once one becomes thirsty, they are already in a state of dehydration, NOT just becoming dehydrated. One way to gauge wether one is consuming enough fluids is when one urinates, it needs to be clear. If it is not, then one needs more fluids. The power of sports drinks such as Gatorade, Powerade, etc...it's very best use, in my opinion, is for damage control. In other words it's best use is when one has unwittingly for whatever reason allowed themselves to become dehydrated. Consuming a sports drink like this will have a more rapid effect in rehydrating the body than will consuming water alone. The reason for this is because of the fact that it contains sugar. Consuming water alone when one becomes dehydrated is good, but on average, it's ability to rehydrate quickly is marginal at best. It takes like 20 minutes for water to penetrate the lining of ones stomach to get into the system and begin rehydration. Drinking a sport's drink like Gatorade, which is mixed with sugar, results in a faster rehydration time. The sugar acts as a "catalyst" to cause the stomach lining to absorb the fluids faster than regular water would be, hence a quicker rehydration of fluids occurs. This is supposed to be the advantage of sports drinks. As everyone is different, as other's have said, everyone needs to asses what works for them and what their bodies can tolerate. As with your suspicions, I have read that alternating back and forth between drinking a sports drink like Gatorade and then taking drinks of water in between is a suggested consumption method, or I guess just watering down as other's have said their sports drinks would work just as well. I have also heard that in the really hot weather one can benefit from consuming salty snacks occassionly also.

Shutterbug
06-24-2010, 21:47
I sometimes hike with an Army medical doctor. He recommends Fulfill. It is the Wal-Mart version of Propel but has a few ingredients in addition to what is in Propel. I used it hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim last summer. It worked as advertised.

JAK
06-24-2010, 21:55
Another way to get your electrolytes is from jerky. Also, chai (tea) if you make it with alot of skim milk powder as I do. Skim milk and honey will also do the trick. Cinnamon or nutmeg is a nice touch, and then you are getting back into a chai of sorts.

"As he strolled along, he sang a song, of a land of milk and honey,
Where a bum can stay, for many a day, and he don't need any money."

sbhikes
06-24-2010, 22:28
I like to drink Crystal Light Hydration or plain water. Salt can be had from salty snacks. Calories/sugar can be had from cookies. The Crystal Light Hydration is good because it has the electrolytes and tastes good so I can chug a 20oz container quickly. Other drink are good, too, by you can get Crystal Light in the grocery store and it's not expensive.

Bear Cables
06-24-2010, 22:57
Thank you all so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I will definitely drink water as my main source and only use Gatorade perhaps at meal times as one of you suggested, or if I feel I need it. I'll look into the other resources for replacing electrolytes as well.

Since I'm a newbie, I may just post my food list next week before I leave and let you guys critique it. :) I want to eat as healthy as possible, but also carry as little weight as possible obviously. My other food fear is carrying either too much or not enough food.

This forum is so wonderful, it has helped me so much and answered lots of questions and alleviated lots of fears. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

I would suggest that before you start you hike while at the trailhead, drink a good bit of water. Start your hydration early.

Bear Cables
06-24-2010, 23:02
As other's have said regarding the heat, wether it be hiking, biking, working outside in it, etc...the most important rule in my opinion, the Golden one so to speak, is to not let yourself get dehydrated. ..... Thirst is a lousy indicator of dehydration. Once one becomes thirsty, they are already in a state of dehydration, NOT just becoming dehydrated. One way to gauge wether one is consuming enough fluids is when one urinates, it needs to be clear. If it is not, then one needs more fluids.

When we hike Philmont with the Scouts the girl who was our ranger told the kids to remember C square P Square...Clear and Copius Pee Pee. It really is a great measure of one's hydration.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2010, 23:07

huh? you want want someone with a badge that never walks up the mountain tellin' you it's "dangerous" to walk up the mountain? 1 more reason the AT should not be in a closed-minded state park

WILLIAM HAYES
06-24-2010, 23:26
check out Hammer Nutrition they have several products with no sugar most endurance atheletes use their products -i use endurolytes and perpetum from Hammer
Hillbilly

fiddlehead
06-25-2010, 00:10

If you ever run a marathon, you'll notice that the first few aid stations have only water.
Later on in the race, they'll have gatorade or mixed half and half with water.
Or, some runners will grab one of each and mix their own.

I think too much is not good. But some (electrolyte replacement) is necessary, whether it be salt, gatorade, coconut water or those EmergenC packets when it's hot.

You should strive not to become dehydrated. Once you become dehydrated, your in trouble and better sit down and drink for an hour or something at the next water source.

Rick500
06-25-2010, 09:26
At REI and our local outfitter. But to tell the truth, I haven't bought any in a year. Need to find some for this upcoming hike.

Gookinaid has been rebranded as "Hydralite". REI still has it.

sbhikes
06-25-2010, 09:41
I disagree that dehydration requires sitting down and drinking for an hour. I have been dehydrated many times. If you are dehydrated, drink something. Rest if you need to, but otherwise you should feel fine right away. It's as simple as that. You can tolerate all sorts of things, including heat and being very thirsty.

What is important is to recognize the symptoms and be able to tell the difference between dehydration and hyponatremia and be able to respond appropriately to each. A good solution to hyponatremia when you are backpacking is to make some soup. Miso soup with sea weed is really good. Potato chips or Fritos are like the perfect food, too. Fat, salt and carbs.

Every year I observe former AT hikers and other people from moister climates attempt the PCT and there are always a few who just can't get a handle on the hydration issue. They drink too much water, eat too many energy bars attempting to fix their low energy with sugar and wind up in a doctors office in a salt-encrusted t-shirt telling the doctor how they are supposed to watch their sodium intake.