PDA

View Full Version : 6 day hike

wolf
11-06-2004, 21:23
To Any Hikers
I Need Some Info On The Trail,im Planning A May Hike From Some Ware In Va.to Haroers Ferry,the Hike Will Be Around 6 Days Thats All The Time I Have.i Need I Starting Point To Be Dropped Of At On The Trail We Will Hike To Harpers Ferry To Get Train Or Is The A Bus That Runs To Phila Or Del.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2004, 22:46
Front Royal, Va. to Harper's Ferry is 54 miles. That would be a good 6 day hike. Get on the trail where it crosses US 522 about 4 miles out of town. Catch a train in HF to Wash., DC then on to Philly.

A-Train
11-06-2004, 23:06
On the flipside, you can also hike north out of Harpers Ferry for about the same number of days and more mileage (80 miles) and hit Boiling Springs, PA. From there you can easily hitch into Carlisle and then get a bus home to Philly. You could probably also hitch from Pine Grove State Park, which is closer.

I know you mentioned Virginia, but this would be closer to home and the scenary is a tad more interesting IMO.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2004, 06:52
I agree with A-Train. Was gonna suggest something similar instead of Front Royal to HF. That's probably my least favorite section on the AT.

Pole Climber
11-07-2004, 08:54
Wolf
If you hike from 522 to Harper's Ferry, hope you dodn't get eaten by a wild animal. Have fun on the rollercoaster!! You do have some nice shelters in that section & the Bear's Den Hostel. Hope you have a great hike!
Pole Climber

Skyline
11-07-2004, 11:23
Or, you could hike all or most of Shenandoah National Park, ending in Rockfish Gap. From there, you can get a shuttle or hitch to either Charlottesviille (east) or Staunton (west), and catch an Amtrak train to Philly via DC.

IMO hiking at the higher elevations of Shenandoah National Park, with its better views and backcountry features, is far superior to the growing exurbia that is fast encroaching the A.T. north of Front Royal. And you avoid that rollercoaster thing and a couple of nasty shelters (Manassas Gap and Dick's Dome).

If doing all 100 miles of the A.T. in SNP in six days is a bit ambitious, you could start at Thornton Gap (US211) and hike south to Rockfish...that should be very do-able.

chris
11-07-2004, 14:07
Hike to Waynesboro as Skyline suggests. SNP is super cruisy. Or, hike north to Duncannon, my favorite town on the trail. Both can be done in 6 days if you are a little motivated.

A-Train
11-07-2004, 16:33
Hah, Glad to see me and Lone Wolf agreeing on something :)

I thought that Front Royal to Harpers Ferry was about the least inspiring and interesting part of the AT, though it could have been a product of the downpours. Dick's Dome is a treat though!