PDA

View Full Version : August start and New England weather

naturejunkie
06-24-2010, 11:47
Okay, so I am looking a beginning my SOBO on August 7th or so. In 2008 I started two months earlier. While I know what to expect in the latter stages of my hike, I'm not real sure what to expect out of Maine, New Hampshire, etc. with an August start. Any insights? Cheers!

The Solemates
06-24-2010, 12:20
aug in maine is probably like late april in the south. the potential for snow is diminished drastically, but it could perhaps get down to freezing on a few select nights. of course the whites are a little bit different story because they have more drastic weather patterns, but not too bad. I'd bring a 30-degree bag, convertible pants, raingear, hat, short sleeve top, long sleeve top, and lightweight fleece if I were leaving then. have fun!

mudhead
06-24-2010, 12:25
Short days.

Shutterbug
06-24-2010, 14:21
Okay, so I am looking a beginning my SOBO on August 7th or so. In 2008 I started two months earlier. While I know what to expect in the latter stages of my hike, I'm not real sure what to expect out of Maine, New Hampshire, etc. with an August start. Any insights? Cheers!

August to October is my favorite time to hike in northern New England. I have hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness the last week in October and found it to be enjoyable. It is possible that you would run into an early snow, but unlikely.

I climbed Mt. Washington on Labor Day a few years ago. The weather was great.

As others suggested, you always need to be prepared for the unexpected when you hike in Maine and New Hampshire, but chances are good that you will have great hiking weather.

Be aware that the fall brings out the leaf watchers by the droves. You will see a lot of tourists close to trailheads.

DLANOIE
06-27-2010, 10:33
As mentioned by Shutterbug, expect crowds. August is the busiest hiking month up here in Maine with the exception of the more remote areas of the A.T.. But, the shelters will be packed with weekend warriors if you were planning on using them(get in early). ALso shorter days and some COOL nights at the higher elevations. In NH this is the best time to be hiking; no bugs, cool temps, but the summits will almost certainly have atleast someone on them most of the time. Enjoy your hike!