PDA

View Full Version : Maps for Maine and water treatment

English Stu
06-24-2010, 15:00
I know carrying maps can be a personal thing, I do usually carry them but I wonder if I really need the maps or if have the relevant mapdanna for Maine would be sufficient. I have the trail data book and companion from an earlier trip.
Just wonder if anyone uses the sports type filter bottles. On my earlier trip I used Aqua Mira mostly, I did have a Katadyn water filter bottle but hardly used it till late on when apart from carrying 0.5 emergency water I used the bottle at water sources.The bottles are heavy and as i had jus tbought it couldn't get the nerve to put into a hiker box, I had already done that with a pump.

There is now the Travel Tap filter bottle, which I think is in the US, which weighs 5oz.Anybody used that, don't want add weight but also not to rely on Aqua Mira all the time would be good.
I find the pumps heavy and too much of a faff.

English Stu
06-24-2010, 15:03
Sorry that should be 0.5 litre emergency water carried, clearly you need to know where water is ahead.

garlic08
06-25-2010, 15:15
My opinion is that water treatment is needed so little in Maine that Aqua Mira is plenty sufficient. If something happens to your Aqua Mira, look for clean sources that don't have agricultural, industrial or domestic contamination upstream and take a chance with it. Contaminated water isn't exactly immediately dangerous to your life, anyway--you won't blow up if a little dirt gets in your water. You're better off paying attention to personal hygiene, overall, anyway. Handwashing, and not sharing food with those who don't, will probably contribute more to a healthy hike than water treatment will.

Maps are definitely a personal decision. Best advice I've seen here is if you have to ask, you should probably bring maps. The Trail is very well blazed and well-traveled.

mudhead
06-25-2010, 16:53
I have a set of those mapdannas. Gadget. Lot of info, but not a map. My opinion.

Most of the trail in Maine looks like a herd of cows trampled it. Except for the rocky parts.

MATC map set is affordable. 1/2 motel night. or less.

English Stu
06-28-2010, 14:53
Best advice I've seen here is if you have to ask, you should probably bring maps.

Good advice ,I have ordered the maps.

weary
06-28-2010, 18:32
I've hiked all of Maine AT at least twice, most of it four or five times, and Katahdin at least 20 times, summer and winter. But when I head for Baxter and Katahdin in a couple of weeks, I'll be carrying maps of Maine and of Baxter State Park and Katahdin.

Why? Aside from the admittedly remote possibility of getting off the trail in heavy fog condtions -- though always a possibility, especially for any one that likes to chase an un recognized bird call, seek out a flower friend, or an occasional wild creature -- maps just make a trip more interesting. They tell you what that mountain or lake is in the distance. They remind of earlier visits and adventures. And they tell you where you are on the trail.

Walking without maps means walking without thousands of bits of knowledge that the curious among us like to know.

Weary

putts
06-28-2010, 21:49
Walking without maps means walking without thousands of bits of knowledge that the curious among us like to know.

Weary

But Ive got a schedule to keep, miles to hike, ounces to shed and blue blazes burn my eyes. I don't have time to satisfy my curiosities until I get to camp - then I have my iphone. :-?

mudhead
06-29-2010, 10:45
Ah. You have seen them too.

ozt42
06-29-2010, 12:49
I wandered off the trail twice in the 100 mile wilderness a couple years ago. I probably would have found it again without the maps I was carrying but they did provide peace of mind.