PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the Trailhead for NOBOers?

Bloodroot
11-07-2004, 07:19
Curious to see how everyone got from home to Springer?

orangebug
11-07-2004, 08:36
I live in Georgia and I'm a section hiker. (Personal vehicle)

Now, you have little choice how to get to Amicalola Falls or Springer without using a car at some point. There are plenty of shuttlers who will pick you up at the airport (at least one commercial shuttle that will drop you off in Dawsonville) in Atlanta. There is at least one hostel with a great deal including the first night, shuttle and fuel.

Bill...

walkin' wally
11-07-2004, 09:13
found the info.
thanks

Lilred
11-07-2004, 09:41
I'd guess I should mark personal vehicle, although I have always gotten a ride to the trailhead and been picked up by my husband after my section hikes. Or would that fall under shuttle? Anyhow, I never have had to worry about parking.

Bloodroot
11-07-2004, 15:29
///////////////////////////

Bloodroot
11-07-2004, 15:30
Sorry guys I totally chewed up the wording on this post :) I asked one thing on the poll and another on the thread. Tried to fix but for some reason I couldn't edit. Anyhow, I think I have all the major issues taken care of except transportation to Atlanta. I know the options, just trying to get feedback from the majority on what means of transportation they chose. Thanks.

Jason

orangebug
11-07-2004, 16:05
If you fly to ATL, you have to resupply with fuel and such. If you take bus, train or car, you have your choice of bringing all your gear and simply hitting the trail after shuttling or getting a ride to Springer/Amicolola.

grandview
11-07-2004, 16:14
Curious to see how everyone got from home to Springer?bloodroot,
to my fellow wv hillbilly, you get anywhere close to augusta and i'll drive you on up there to springer....i'll even do a couple sections with you if you feel like company...

Bloodroot
11-07-2004, 16:17
If you fly to ATL, you have to resupply with fuel and such. If you take bus, train or car, you have your choice of bringing all your gear and simply hitting the trail after shuttling or getting a ride to Springer/Amicolola.
Thanks of reassuring me of that. Right now Im leaning towards railheading just so I dont have to deal with the airlines in ATL losing my ***** again(horrible experience there when I came home for leave in July).

Bloodroot
11-07-2004, 16:20
bloodroot,
to my fellow wv hillbilly, you get anywhere close to augusta and i'll drive you on up there to springer....i'll even do a couple sections with you if you feel like company...
Hey now there's a thought! Splendid idea! I can always use some company :clap You wanting to hit it up anytime in April?

orangebug
11-07-2004, 16:54
Most stories of lost gear involve buses, at least from my experience. If you keep your gear in a duffle bag, airlines seem a good bet from my observations and travel. I tend to get cheap duffles and discard them (Big Lots, Tuesday Morning, and such).

grandview
11-07-2004, 18:56
Hey now there's a thought! Splendid idea! I can always use some company :clap You wanting to hit it up anytime in April?

ABSOLUTELY

Freighttrain
01-29-2005, 11:48
i bring a buddy or family to drive my car home