PDA

View Full Version : Golite Odyssey Pack

Freedom Walker
06-24-2010, 22:05
I am about to order this pack for the following reasons. 5490 cubic inches, 3lbs, 8 oz. on sale for $160.00 from Backcountrygear. Good reviews. I want a big bag because I need to carry extra water when finding it is in question. This is due to a medical condition I have, and I can't risk dehydration. I am a big guy and have larger clothes, sleeping bag etc. The most weight I will ever carry including pack is 35-40lbs. Am I making a good choice. Considering I carried a 50 lb pack last Oct, getting it down to 35-40 is a good start.

scope
06-24-2010, 23:03
I have the Quest, a size down from the Odyssey, but much the same pack. I'm curious, how much volume of water do you intend to carry at times, and how do you intend on packing it? The internal hydration sleeve with take a 3L platty, and you can put either a 2L platty in both side pockets, or a tall bottle like the 1.5L Smart water bottle. That much water, 6-7 liters is a lot to carry. You might run into some comfort issues if your gear weighs 35-40 lbs plus the water. Unless its much different on the Odyssey because its a bigger pack, then my opinion is that the pack and suspension is as good as anything given that it is mostly for lightweight backpacking - 35lbs is reasonable, but pretty close to the limit, at least on the Quest - lets say 40 on the Odessey (I don't think Golite mentions a weight range). I also have a Granite gear pack, and while its a little smaller than the Quest, I can load the frock out of it and it still carries pretty well (most I've been able to get in it was 45lbs). I would probably look for something more substantial if you're seriously going to load this thing down with water weight.

Also, don't know if the "Compaktor" system is selling you on the pack or not, but I think its mostly pretty useless. Kinda messes with the whole balance of the pack and just doesn't feel right. (one of the reasons I have that other pack)

Still, it is a good pack and a good value. I find the Quest quite roomy, but I've also spent some time over the last few years getting lighter and less bulky gear.

avalonmorn
06-24-2010, 23:14
http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=150001110&mc=175&t=&lat=This is a comparision chart that helped me decide on a woman's Pinnacle. I like it.

Freedom Walker
06-25-2010, 07:16
[QUOTE=scope;1026445]I have the Quest, a size down from the Odyssey, but much the same pack. I'm curious, how much volume of water do you intend to carry at times, and how do you intend on packing it? The internal hydration sleeve with take a 3L platty, and you can put either a 2L platty in both side pockets, or a tall bottle like the 1.5L Smart water bottle. That much water, 6-7 liters is a lot to carry.

How much water, depends on the time of year and known info of water sources. If I am not sure, at least a gal. Thats 8 lbs. Goal is to be under 35 lb including water and food. In some reviews of the Odyssey, the users found the pack doing good with that weight range but when it got closer to 50 lbs, the comfort suffered.

mister krabs
06-25-2010, 08:33
Also consider volume as it will affect how the pack carries. Unless you've got a huge synthetic bag and lots of fleece, I think you'll have a hard time filling it up. Water is heavy but comparatively low volume. Perhaps something that is smaller but still has a traditional frame internal or external would ride better. A tall kitchen garbage bag is about 3000 cu. in. filled to the top, could you really fill almost two of them?

Llama Legs
06-25-2010, 11:15
I've had that pack for over a year and done Springer to Fontana with the early birds in cold weather this year. It's my pack when I need to haul more clothes, warmer sleeping bag, and a roomier tent for the longer nights in Feb/Mar. I've found it to be very watertight – though I still use a liner and a dry sack on my down stuff. I don't use or need a pack cover with the Odyssey. I'm small (5'7") and ended up with the medium. The large didn't seem really large – so that might be your limitation. Like any piece of gear, don't keep it if it doesn't fit correctly. It's a steal compared to many, many smaller/leakier and more expensive packs.

Freedom Walker
06-25-2010, 23:42
I've had that pack for over a year and done Springer to Fontana with the early birds in cold weather this year. It's my pack when I need to haul more clothes, warmer sleeping bag, and a roomier tent for the longer nights in Feb/Mar. I've found it to be very watertight – though I still use a liner and a dry sack on my down stuff. I don't use or need a pack cover with the Odyssey. I'm small (5'7") and ended up with the medium. The large didn't seem really large – so that might be your limitation. Like any piece of gear, don't keep it if it doesn't fit correctly. It's a steal compared to many, many smaller/leakier and more expensive packs.

Thanks for the info. I am 6'2' so I think the large is best. I plan on using it year round for those weekend trips where you bring some extra items for comfort as well as long distance hikes for up to 10 days. That is why I wanted a larger pack. The pack I have now weighs 7 lbs, so I am cutting the pack weight in half. Glad to hear it holds up well in rain, but I had all already bought a good lightweight pack cover from Outdoor Research. What is the most weight you have carried in it? James