PDA

View Full Version : Quilt Materials, and Insulation

Foyt20
06-24-2010, 22:54
I have digested a fair ammount of info over the last week or so, and am planning to make a quilt in the very near future. I am on information overload and need some clarification.

I have two questions.

1) Is it ok to use a non breathable material for the outer layer? I have fabric for the inner layer, but not enough for both. This is just a test quilt, if it actually does turn out well, I will invest in some momentum, just wanted to make it and see how it turns out.

2) I want to use synthetic insulation. I would like the quilt to be comfortable to 40-45 degrees. I always carry a down jacket with me, even in the summer as it is way lighter than any of the fleeces I own. What should I use as insulation. 1 layer of climashield xp, or 2, and what if any other brands are there out there.

Thanks for any advice that can be bestowed.

:banana

Seeker
06-25-2010, 08:33
one of the things i hate about my sleeping bag is the fact that the covering is NOT very breathable... i'm seriously considering going to a cut-down synthetic blanket, especially in the summer.

for your test quilt, i'd say it's fine, but for your 'final' one, i'd go for a very loose weave. you can get away with it for a synthetic filing. very fine down will work its way out if the covering isn't 'tight'...

have no advice on filling... perhaps Ray Jardine's site, if you've not already checked it, will have something.

also, if you've not already done so, visit a fabric shop. i know things tend to be cheaper on line, but in a store you will hopefully find a little old lady who's been sewing for 50 years. explain what you're doing and what you need, and i'm sure you'll find the answers. (that's why they're more expensive.)

mister krabs
06-25-2010, 08:38
Non breathable material will mean that you will have soggy insulation from the moisture coming off your body. Go to walmart and get some nylon from the 1$ a yard rack.

Rocketman
06-25-2010, 09:37
Non breathable material will mean that you will have soggy insulation from the moisture coming off your body. Go to walmart and get some nylon from the 1$ a yard rack.

There is no more $1/yard fabric at most WalMarts. In fact, as part of the modernization program, very few WalMarts carry fabric cutting supplies at all.

The price of the bargain fabrics went up to $1.50/yard last year or the year before.

There used to be three (3) Walmarts in my local community which carried fabric, and now there are ZERO (0). However, there are now five (5) WalMarts locally.

Please don't give newbies old out of date information.

mister krabs
06-25-2010, 10:25
Please don't give newbies old out of date information.

Both of my local walmarts still have fabric, one's a super and one's a regular. Mea Culpa on the price, I haven't bought any lately.

Foyt20
06-25-2010, 11:56
All the fabric I have from Walmart was from the bargain bins about 2 years ago (working on the road I got to stop at a lot of walmarts across NJ and PA). I guess I will have to take a look at my local that has a fabric department still.

greentick
07-18-2010, 01:57
I sewed one up a few years ago with primaloft 3oz and "seconds" ripstop (1.1oz?). I have taken down to 39* comfortably. I had shorts on, just zipped up my rainshell and put my feet in that. I have used the quilt in the mid-upper 40s with just shorts and a T. I sleep a little warm so YMMV.

Last time I used it was around freezing, wearing a montbell UL down jacket and the above method. The small section between teh hem of the Montbell and teh Precip (my butt) got chilly. I did sleep fairly well regardless.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16297&noignore=0&postid=12153#post12153

greentick
07-18-2010, 02:04
I've sewed up a couple with the walmart ripstop, comes out a few oz heavier.

mudhead
07-18-2010, 07:22
You home?

Bags4266
07-18-2010, 09:16
I have made 3 top quilts, one with the combat xp 3.7 oz weighs in at 16oz good to the upper 40's low 50's. The other two are climashiel 5.0 they weigh in around 24 oz and were good to high 30's for me an average sleeper. Use breathable fabric. On one of the 5.0 I put in side flaps of just ripstop held the heat in better when moving around.

sbhikes
08-09-2010, 13:42
In my experience, if you make a "test" item and it turns out pretty good you end up using it. So you may as well start with some kind of breathable fabric and save expensive breathable fabric for the final piece if you ever get around to it.