PDA

View Full Version : Rusty's Hard Time Hollow

Birdy
06-25-2010, 11:32
I'm in Waynesboro having just left Rusty's. I understand that there has been much confusion as to whether Rusty is open or closed (or at least I was confused). In any case, I promised Rusty I would post a message from him on Whiteblaze but regrettably forgot it--it was written on a blackboard and saved by my camera, which I left at the motel.

My paraphrase of the message is that Rusty is rock n' rolling (he specifically rejected the open/closed terminology) for I believe March through July and otherwise only to Alumni. Basically he said he would welcome any walk-in during the Nobo rush, but wanted a lower profile at other times.

This is my recollection but I will get his message posted verbatim when I arrive in Harper's Ferry.

Birdy

Ga -> Me 2010

Pedaling Fool
06-25-2010, 13:35
Does anyone really care?

The Solemates
06-25-2010, 13:35
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59111&highlight=rustys

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60944&highlight=rustys

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59290&highlight=rustys

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49752&highlight=rustys

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25926&highlight=rustys

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47685&highlight=rustys

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33333&highlight=rustys

Lone Wolf
06-25-2010, 13:58
whatever..........

max patch
06-25-2010, 14:01
Bfd

mcstick
06-25-2010, 14:13
I'd say that's good news if its news at all.

weary
06-25-2010, 14:15
Does anyone really care?

Sure they do. Rusty is a trail legend. Thousands have enjoyed his hospitality over the years (decades?)

He's now old and probably weary of the frustrations and sniping associated with running a "donation" based hostel.

I can understand that. Though I've never run a hostel, I've done a lot of trail related things. It's never easy and often isn't even pleasant. I debate with myself often about whether to give up the frustrations of putting out trail newsletters, or of organizing a local land trust's stewardship needs.

People find it easy to criticize those who do important things. They rarely volunteer to try to do better.

Weary

sherrill
06-25-2010, 14:23
My paraphrase of the message is that Rusty is rock n' rolling (he specifically rejected the open/closed terminology) for I believe March through July and otherwise only to Alumni.

Still hanging on to that March thing.

Pedaling Fool
06-25-2010, 14:33
Sure they do. Rusty is a trail legend. Thousands have enjoyed his hospitality over the years (decades?)

He's now old and probably weary of the frustrations and sniping associated with running a "donation" based hostel.

I can understand that. Though I've never run a hostel, I've done a lot of trail related things. It's never easy and often isn't even pleasant. I debate with myself often about whether to give up the frustrations of putting out trail newsletters, or of organizing a local land trust's stewardship needs.

People find it easy to criticize those who do important things. They rarely volunteer to try to do better.

Weary
I don't know why you like to pick on me...What have I ever done to you. :cool:

If I ever called you an idiot for preaching GW...well I'm sorry:D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/3-06-08_195.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26247&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=6936&cutoffdate=-1)

RITBlake
06-25-2010, 16:03
I've been a defender of Rusty in the past and I really enjoyed my stay there, but it seems like posts like this seem to pop up every single year. It gets tired after a while, no?

weary
06-25-2010, 17:42
I don't know why you like to pick on me...What have I ever done to you. :cool:

If I ever called you an idiot for preaching GW...well I'm sorry:D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/3-06-08_195.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26247&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=6936&cutoffdate=-1)
Sorry. However, I wasn't picking on you -- at least not deliberately. However, you have a talent for asking questions about people and issues I think important to defend, and therefore feel obligated to answer.

You're my favorite conservative, i.e. someone who acts responsibily, even if you don't believe in the right reasons.

BTW what is this "preaching GW" that you think I do? I preach about a lot of things. I just can figure out which of these is "GW."

Weary

Etchasketch
06-29-2010, 19:21
His mother just passed away, he was snowed in for 30-something days and the rangers had to snowmobile food and supplies in to the hollow for him. he called up Wingfoot and said something along the lines of, "I'm having a rough time here, can you hold up on putting me in the book? i MIGHT throw in the towel," wingfoot went and published that rusty is closed... I'm hiking SOBO and I just stayed at Rusty's the same day Birdy was there.22nd or 23rd? The man is a true saint. His hostel has so much history. Hes hung out with Ed Garvey and Earl Shaffer, playing guitar on the back porch. It is one the most unforgetable experiences I've had on the trail. I carry my dremel tool and some diamond bits with me. I spent about 6 hours etching the windows of his vans with the Hard Time Hollow logo... er, the whole image that he's got on his shirts. He gave me two t-shirts and aggresively tried to refuse my donation. He is no con artist, if you think such a thing... think it to yourself. It is common sense, when you get soda, beer, burgers, snacks, a place to sleep, and blueberry pancakes in the morning, It costs him so you give a little in return. I'll be visiting Rusty once i finish the trail, because its people like Rusty that make people like you and I fall in love with the trail all over again. - Addicted to Freedom

ETCHASKETCH sobo 2010

Lone Wolf
06-29-2010, 19:51
His mother just passed away, he was snowed in for 30-something days and the rangers had to snowmobile food and supplies in to the hollow for him. he called up Wingfoot and said something along the lines of, "I'm having a rough time here, can you hold up on putting me in the book? i MIGHT throw in the towel," wingfoot went and published that rusty is closed... I'm hiking SOBO and I just stayed at Rusty's the same day Birdy was there.22nd or 23rd? The man is a true saint. His hostel has so much history. Hes hung out with Ed Garvey and Earl Shaffer, playing guitar on the back porch. It is one the most unforgetable experiences I've had on the trail. I carry my dremel tool and some diamond bits with me. I spent about 6 hours etching the windows of his vans with the Hard Time Hollow logo... er, the whole image that he's got on his shirts. He gave me two t-shirts and aggresively tried to refuse my donation. He is no con artist, if you think such a thing... think it to yourself. It is common sense, when you get soda, beer, burgers, snacks, a place to sleep, and blueberry pancakes in the morning, It costs him so you give a little in return. I'll be visiting Rusty once i finish the trail, because its people like Rusty that make people like you and I fall in love with the trail all over again. - Addicted to Freedom

ETCHASKETCH sobo 2010

well that's awesome. there's a lot you don't know though

Etchasketch
06-29-2010, 23:26
Many times I've wondered, How much there is to know. I haven't done a background check on the guy, or caught wind of his alleged "con artist" ways first hand, but when you meet good people you know it. Rusty is good people, no doubt. Rusty's Hard Time Hollow is open, and if you visit this year you will not be let down. That is as simple as it gets. Not much more to know. Maybe the guy likes to lather himself up in vasoline and roll around in the chicken coop in his birthday suit, I have no idea. thats none of my business... He'll treat you like gold and you'll have a memorable visit, to say the least.

"I may not know where I am, but I ain't lost" - RHTH

Skyline
06-30-2010, 00:17
Okay, this Spring his word was that the Hollow was definitely CLOSED:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59290

Guess he's had another change of heart. So long as he can handle it, good for him, and good for the hikers who want to experience Rusty's. It's a one-of-a-kind place.

max patch
06-30-2010, 13:20
well that's awesome. there's a lot you don't know though

You've been dancing around Rusty for years now making negative comments without saying anything. Put your big boy pants on and say what you want to say. Or just don't say anything at all.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2010, 13:52
You've been dancing around Rusty for years now making negative comments without saying anything. Put your big boy pants on and say what you want to say. Or just don't say anything at all.

my big boy pants?

mcstick
06-30-2010, 14:30
you're big boy pants.

mcstick
06-30-2010, 14:31
your big boy pants

weary
06-30-2010, 15:01
my big boy pants?
Well, I would leave your choice of pants to you. Or wear none at all if you prefer. Just tell us what you think we should know about Rusty, or stop hinting.

mcstick
06-30-2010, 16:09
Well, I would leave your choice of pants to you. Or wear none at all if you prefer. Just tell us what you think we should know about Rusty, or stop hinting.

tough to explain what you think in one-liner form.

Panzer1
07-01-2010, 01:44

Whats the idea with treating new hikers different from previous hikers?:confused:

Panzer

Skyline
07-01-2010, 10:17
Whats the idea with treating new hikers different from previous hikers?:confused:

Panzer

In the past, it has meant that he welcomes old friends to visit. He sometimes calls them "alumni." However, this sign is from 2008. As the OP stated, the Hollow is apparently open again to new folks on an abbreviated schedule to accommodate the traditional NOBO itinerary.

fredmugs
07-01-2010, 10:44
Who's a bigger drama whore? Rusty or Brett Favre?

Skyline
07-02-2010, 10:20

Brett Favre.

weary
07-02-2010, 16:47
The question isn't funny. I suspect it's based on assumptions that aren't true. No one I've ever met seemed less of a "drama whore," than Rusty. I had the impression that he might been considered a "failure" by a generally better off family.

Anyway, I haven't heard a shred of evidence that his management flip flops dealing with the Hollow are based on a desire for dramatic impact. Rather they are almost certainly responses to the natural frustrations faced by every hostel owners in dealing with long distance hikers -- especially as old age infirmities set in after two or three decades in the hostel business.

Rusty is neither a wealthy nor a sophisticated person. In 1993 he told us he got by working for minimum wages cutting grass and doing maintenance for the neighboring national park during the off season. I don't know how he managed to do it, but then, at least, the pancake mix that hikers enjoyed cooking for breakfasts came from government surplus food stocks.

He was frustrated then because his siblings failed to understand why he couldn't close the hollow over the Fourth of July weekend to attend a family wedding. "They don't believe I have 30 hikers expecting to stay here this weekend," he said. I counted 36. Most of us stayed three nights. Some 4. A few seemed ready to spend the summer, though I met some of the latter on the trail later.

Weary

Rain Man
07-15-2010, 15:50
Just so happened, I met Etchasketch this past Sunday on the AT, just north of Partnership Shelter. A really nice hiker, from Maine. He relayed his experience at Rusty's.

Rain:sunMan

Bob McCaw
08-04-2010, 14:43
Rusty called about a week ago to say he's moving and won't be living at the Hollow any more.

Take it for what it's worth.

turtle fast
08-04-2010, 19:27
So is it an opportunity for someone to contract with Rusty to open a unique hostel?

Lone Wolf
08-04-2010, 21:33
So is it an opportunity for someone to contract with Rusty to open a unique hostel?

heck no. he doesn't own the property.

johnnybgood
08-05-2010, 18:22
It ain't settled yet.

Rusty called about a week ago to say he's moving and won't be living at the Hollow any more.

Take it for what it's worth.
...and yesterday Favre said he's retiring , today it's maybe , tomorrow who knows.

weary
08-05-2010, 18:57
It ain't settled yet.

...and yesterday Favre said he's retiring , today it's maybe , tomorrow who knows.
Cynicism is a convenient way to disguise ignorance.

But it is not appropriate just yet. Rusty is an elderly, single man, in questionable health, with little formal education, and, it seems, with little, if any material wealth. He's lived on povery level jobs, while carving out a niche by providing a hostel that many hundreds of hikers have enjoyed for more than two decades.

I suggest that we all try to generate a sense of understanding, rather than of condemnation, at least until the facts become known.

Weary

Lone Wolf
08-05-2010, 21:11
Cynicism

But it is not appropriate just yet. Rusty is an elderly, single man, in questionable health, with little formal education, and, it seems, with little, if any material wealth. He's lived on povery level jobs, while carving out a niche by providing a hostel that many hundreds of hikers have enjoyed for more than two decades.

all by CHOICE. he is a VERY cynical man. with alterior motives. you were there last in 93, weary?

Ruthless Cur
08-06-2010, 04:37
I've been gone for many years now - seem like ages. Just happened to check in to the trail gossip since I'm considering a visit to the East Coast from California. I first stayed at Rusty's in '89. You could transpose this forum 20 years back (I know, not possible w/o the internet back then) and NOTHING has changed. Let it be known that the truth has been told whether thru gossip or fact or 1st or 2nd-hand account about Rusty's over the years (and certainly not on the internet). The old farts (like LW) know the history. I had a special relationship with Rusty as others in our group that I hung out with at the Hollow. It was special - almost as special as snuggling up to LW on those cold Spring nights in the Smokies. Rusty exposed himself back then to his darkest and brightest side. Unfortunately, he never came completely clean and honest about his past - we all knew this but tried to accept him in the present. Eventually, he rejected us (because of what we knew?), and wanted to start anew - which is easy with a new crop of thru-hikers coming thru every year. Make no mistake - he has his demons, but as times change, we also change within (old age dictates these things), so I can only be hopeful that Rusty's old haunts are in his past. He's had a tough go - and tried his damndest to make it right and the Hollow was the result of it and many have benefited. I have nothing but compassion for Rusty - gossip can be hard to live with - especially when it has everything to do with your passion and livelihood. I don't pretend to be updated with the AT gossip these days nor do I really care to be, but I hope it is all good - as I remember it.

Bare Bear
08-06-2010, 11:49
Rodney King said it best, "Cain't we all just git along?"