PDA

View Full Version : The Perch Shelters in the White Mountains will be closed starting 7/12 to 8/20

peakbagger
06-25-2010, 16:04
From the Randolph Mountain CLub

The Perch is frequently used for a foul weather bail out option after Jefferson and is listed as such on most hiking guides. Gray Knob cabin is next closest alternative. The Perch was $8, Gray Knob is $12. They both tend to be full on weekends. Crag Camp is also near Gray Knob and has spectacular views of Kings Ravine and North NH (inlcuding the Mahooscus)

Perch is closed from 7/12-8/20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the latest news that I am sharing from Pinkham Notch to everyone, and to alert of anyone's travels in these woods.

The RMC Perch is "receiving significant rehabilitation this summer, and as a result, we are closing the shelter completely from July 12-August 20."

Thank you.

Regards,

Ridgewalker

Cookerhiker
06-25-2010, 17:02
I stayed at The Perch on my first section hike of the Whites back in '82. I didn't want to spend the $$$ for Madison. The Perch was a handy location only about a mile off the AT. Unfortunately, my most vivid memory on that early July hike was the black flies - they were terrible!

Anyway, thanks RMC for maintaining The Perch and good luck with the renovation.

peakbagger
09-13-2010, 08:50
FYI, I stopped by this weekend (9/11/10) and the Perch was reopened. There is still a lot of wood piled around the site. The composting toilet is functional but they are still building some decking in the area for the caretaker to access the backside of the composter for maintenance.

The perch work appears to be mostly replacing the sill logs and possibly reworking the foundation rocks.

Do note , this site gets heavy activity by college groups in the fall on weekends.