PDA

View Full Version : Month long hike any suggestions???

Acorn
06-25-2010, 16:48
I am planning a 3-4 week hike on the northern half of the AT the second week of July. Any advice on a good place to start?

Cookerhiker
06-25-2010, 17:09
I'd start at State Rt. 2, the last road crossing in Massachusetts, hike north, and see how far you get. It's 277 miles to Pinkham Notch so you could make it there in 3 weeks, certainly 4. The advantage is you start on a more moderate terrain through Vermont (there will be some ups and downs) and in doing so, build up strength to enjoy the White Mountains. And if you reach Pinkham with time to spare, continue on over the Wildcat & Carter range to US Rt. 2 outside Gorham.

In other words, aim for Rt. 2 to Rt. 2!

Mountain Wildman
06-25-2010, 17:15
If it was me, I would determine my daily mileage and choose a starting point that would position me 3 to 4 weeks from Katahdin, It Would be a great way to end a month long adventure by summiting Katahdin.

Marta
06-25-2010, 18:25
I'd start at Katahdin and head south. You might make it as far as Goreham. It's a great time of year to hike in Maine.

Mountain Wildman
06-25-2010, 18:32
I'd start at Katahdin and head south. You might make it as far as Goreham. It's a great time of year to hike in Maine.

That would work also, I live in Gorham so I kinda look at it as my starting point, But next year I'll travel south and start my Thru-Hike at Springer.:D

Acorn
06-28-2010, 19:30
I just got a four week vacation approved by the boss, and will be starting July 15. I like the idea of starting at Mt. Kat but don't think ill be up for the steep climbs so soon. The MA/VT state line Northbound sounds great.

I plan on hammock camping, and was wondering if I can get by without a skeeter net? Also is a 15F sleeping bag over kill (cold sleeper?)

What would be the best way to get to MA rt.2? Plane to Albany,NY the catch a bus?

Jack Tarlin
06-28-2010, 19:39
Early or mid-nJuly is decidedly NOT a great time to be hiking in Maine, unless, of course, you enjoy being eaten.

I think you're wise to be looking at Southern New England. And as an option other than Albany, I'd consider the Train/Bus option, i.e. I'd look at getting to Springfield or Pittsfield MA There are several fine folks who live near Pittsfield (like in Dalton MA, just a few miles away) who'd be happy to help you. Write back if you need help contacting these folks.

innermountain
06-28-2010, 19:49
I agree - I'd start Kataydin an head South as well. The northern part of the AT was my favorite part, so starting in the north and hiking south is kind of like eating dessert first. And who doesn't like to do that!?!?!

Cookerhiker
06-28-2010, 20:09
I just got a four week vacation approved by the boss, and will be starting July 15. I like the idea of starting at Mt. Kat but don't think ill be up for the steep climbs so soon. The MA/VT state line Northbound sounds great.

I plan on hammock camping, and was wondering if I can get by without a skeeter net? Also is a 15F sleeping bag over kill (cold sleeper?)

What would be the best way to get to MA rt.2? Plane to Albany,NY the catch a bus?

Re. transportation, Peter Pan bus lines (http://www.peterpanbus.com/) serve Williamstown, either from New York or Boston. In Williamstown, you can catch a local (county) bus to where the Trail intersects Rt. 2.

I think a 15 degree bag is definitely overkill. That happens to be my winter bag's rating as well and I wouldn't take it the time of year you'r going. Do you have a 40 degree bag?

Re. bugs with a July 15 start, you will have mosquitos at night. I don't know much about hammocks but if your face is exposed, you'll be hearing them and feeling them all night.

Tinker
06-28-2010, 21:31
I'd start at the Ma/Vt. line and hike to Canada on the Long Trail. :)