PDA

View Full Version : California Coastal Trail

russb
06-25-2010, 18:56
Anyone know much about this trail?

I will be in San Francisco next month and plan on checking out a portion from the Presidio to Golden Gate Rec Area.

For those familiar with it, any advice in the Golden gate Rec Area?

Bucherm
06-30-2010, 03:22
Anyone know much about this trail?

I will be in San Francisco next month and plan on checking out a portion from the Presidio to Golden Gate Rec Area.

For those familiar with it, any advice in the Golden gate Rec Area?

I just came back from visiting SF, seeing some High School buddies from when I lived on the Presidio. If you're into Urban Hiking, SF is a good place to do it.

Places to see within the Presidio: Fort Point, Battery Chamberlain, Baker Beach, Chrissy Field, the Yoda Fountain, walk along the Marina to Fort Mason and the National Maritime Museum while you're at it.

Across the bay is East Fort Baker, which is meh. I think you would like the Marin Headlands or Point Reyes much more. If you're there the first weekend of July, Go see the NIKE site in the Marin headlands. it will be open to the public. It's pretty neat.

If you want real hiking with less people(and in the SF area that may be a forlorn hope)Point reyes and Olema Valley may be your best bet.

There's a Redwood grove called Muir Woods, which is nice and all, but I almost consider it a zoo for trees.