PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Hike Today

ac2rivers
06-25-2010, 20:16
I decided it was time for a break at work so I drove 1300 miles to Millinocket to hike. Someone please tell me that they have done something like this for hiking.

To anyone that has never hiked Katadhin, it is well worth any drive. I have never climbed a mountain on the east coast that was like it.

solstice
06-25-2010, 20:48
I haven't.... but I would.

In fact, I fully intend to quit my job next year because they won't give me a leave of absence to hike the AT. ^_^d

ChinMusic
06-25-2010, 22:03
I decided it was time for a break at work so I drove 1300 miles to Millinocket to hike. Someone please tell me that they have done something like this for hiking.

I live in Illinois. I have to drive decent distances all the time for trips. 600 miles is common for me to get to the AT. For 1300 miles it had better be for more than one day. I'm driving out to Yosemite next month (1900 miles) but that will be for a week-long trip.

I have it in my mind NOT to hike Katahdin until it is at the end of a thru. I would like for that to be the first time. I guess I'm "saving myself".

Donnie
06-25-2010, 22:08
How was the weather today? Did you get the opportunity to meet any (potential) thru-hikers starting of finishing his/her trek? I have finally started my own countdown for my 2010 SOBO attempt.

ac2rivers
06-28-2010, 00:36
It was 55 degree at the ridge with 50+ mph gusts and no clouds. I ran into 2 guy that were also from South Carolina while eating dinner in Millinocket. One had brought the other up to flip-flop from Katahdin back to Harper Ferry. I couldnt have asked for a better day to hike it was worth every mile that I drove and I would do it again, but only if I could find someone to ride with me.

Red River Falls
06-28-2010, 06:02
About three weeks ago, I flew to Boston and drove to Baxter to hike Katahdin. I did this because I enjoy the AT and wanted to see the end of the trail and this mountain. I camped in the park one night.

I know I probably will never thru-hike the trail and really am only interested in a potential section hike.

As for Baxter Peak, I did enjoy the experience, had great weather, similar to your description. I then went on to Acadia National Park for a few days.

Glad you enjoyed it.

MedicineMan
06-28-2010, 06:52
Yeah I cheated and skipped ahead and read the end of the book too. Never thought at the time I'd ever hike to Mt.K or even Maine, still might not but no regrets and if I do get that far I'd love to climb it again but using the knife edge versus the Abol slide and Hunt. We also spent time in Acadia while up there and ate a lifetime of lobster. I agree, in the east there is no other mountain like it.