PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for short-sleeve ....

nawlunz
06-25-2010, 22:39
hiking shirts? Will be for western backpacking trip...so, expect dry, warm temps during the day. Will be out of 9 days..forget t-shirt, so need a suggestion for a good, wickable, lightweight shirt for backpacking...will probably bring two..wear one, the other washed and clean....

so, a wickable, light, short sleeved shirt that washes well, dries quickly..

Cabin Fever
06-25-2010, 22:49
Patagonia Capilene products are fantastical. So is Under Armour based on your descriptions.

BadAndy
06-25-2010, 22:51
I absolutely love EMS techwick stuff to hike in, works much better than under armor for me personally

Mountain Wildman
06-25-2010, 22:53
Keep an eye on Steep and Cheap.com, They've been listing shirts today, Just missed a Royal Robbins collared button down shirt, Synthetic blend. I've seen it there a few times today, usually 45 bucks for 19.99 I think.

trailangelbronco
06-25-2010, 22:53
I buy Columbia polyester wicking tshirts for $19.99. exact same as the North Face, Under Armor, ETC ETC brands. Just as light, dries just as fast, same material and Columbia is a darn good brand.

Rocket Jones
06-25-2010, 23:29
WalMart had Starter brand short-sleeved shirts on sale a few months ago for three or four bucks each. Even at the regular price (about twice that) they're inexpensive and a great value.

Mags
06-26-2010, 01:11
Many Western hikers use long-sleeve shirts for sun and bug protection.

I only use short sleeves for day use stuff as I don't like sunscreen for more than a day.

My current shirt was bought at the thrift store for $6. 50/50 Rayon-polyester blend.

Couple that with my dorky sun hat (military-style boonie hat), and I have great sun protection.

bigcranky
06-26-2010, 09:20
Columbia long sleeve fishing shirt. Seriously, listen to Mags, wear long sleeves. You can always roll them up. My Columbia is my favorite outdoor shirt.

Cooldays
06-26-2010, 09:28
I'll tell you what I think is perfect. I don't have one though. I Would like a long sleeve super light wicking shirt with a quarter zip to ventilate. The problem I have is that all the outfitters only carry these in black which is ridiculous for a "sun" shirt. It just shows how marketing is more important than practicality. I have one in black ( I can't remember the brand but maybe mountain hardwear.....

I think they should be in some reflective light color for use in a hot sun....

GeneralLee10
06-26-2010, 11:09
If it were me I would use a long sleeve shirt something like Mags said. Cheep, can be tossed in the trash if need with no Big money loss. I have a fishing shirt with the long sleeves, when not wanted I just roll them up.

Feral Bill
06-26-2010, 13:36
How about this? http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/20622?parentCategory=502684&feat=502684-tn&cat4=502683

bulldog49
06-26-2010, 13:37
Can't go wrong with Patagonia capilene. Keeps you dry and cool.

Grinder
06-26-2010, 14:52
for the budget minded, walmart has a couple of choices. both are branded "dristar" with a star logo

The one made from 100% polyester is good and I recommend it. Mine are two + years old and holding up well. IIRC they are proced at around $10

The second have the same label but are made from 100% recycled polyester. These have a rough thread sewing the sleeves on which irritates my armpits. They are priced well under $10/ (Around $7 IIRC). I wouldn't recommend these.

Grinder
06-26-2010, 14:54
OOOPS!!

sorry. I missed the "tshirts need not apply" criterion.

Tinker
06-26-2010, 22:58
Columbia long sleeve fishing shirt. Seriously, listen to Mags, wear long sleeves. You can always roll them up. My Columbia is my favorite outdoor shirt.

Long sleeved, loose fitting shirts protect you from the sun without the overuse of sunscreens and allow airflow underneath while providing a bit of "shade" under the loose fitting material. Despite being slow to dry I've found that Dickies work shirts (cotton/polyester) are pretty comfortable, and like a good jacket or windbreaker they can be opened at the front for good ventilation (at least for guys ;)).
I think there are a few nylon versions of this type of shirt which have underarm ventilation. I think I'll look into this.

Tinker
06-26-2010, 23:03
Many Western hikers use long-sleeve shirts for sun and bug protection.

I only use short sleeves for day use stuff as I don't like sunscreen for more than a day.

My current shirt was bought at the thrift store for $6. 50/50 Rayon-polyester blend.

Couple that with my dorky sun hat (military-style boonie hat), and I have great sun protection.

Easterers are habitually behind the eight ball on tecnology.
I can't honestly say whether I've tried the things you mention with or without coaching (I've been hiking a loooooooooong time and met lots of folks smarter than I could ever hope to be :o).
Whatever - loose clothing works in hot weather, and cotton WON'T kill you at 85 degrees F.

traildust
06-27-2010, 09:28
Target. Cheap, washable, drys fast. Use them on the farm when cutting grass and working the rows of veggies in hot sun. Turn hose on to cool down and in less than 10 minutes I am dry.

Deadeye
06-27-2010, 09:39

Campmor has these and similar Campmor brand. Nylon shirts, soft & comfortable, and much lower stink factor. Capilene is fine if you are olfactorily numb - it smells within the first hour of wearing.

nawlunz
06-27-2010, 13:04
thickness and ability to provide greater warmth? I am thinking about purchasing one or two for a backpacking trip this summer....I think the idea to get long sleeve from several posters seems sound, given that the trip will be in Sierras in July, and I expect lots of sun....just trying to determine if the Patagonia line is worth it, and whether the capilene 1 t-shirt or long sleeve crew will suffice and do the job in wicking and keeping me cooler...at night, temps will drop, so wondering how great the difference in Capilene 1 or 2

Feral Bill
06-27-2010, 14:02
Easterers are habitually behind the eight ball on tecnology.
I can't honestly say whether I've tried the things you mention with or without coaching (I've been hiking a loooooooooong time and met lots of folks smarter than I could ever hope to be :o).
Whatever - loose clothing works in hot weather, and cotton WON'T kill you at 85 degrees F.

SInce it has been brought up, cotton is an excellent choice in the dry summer heat of the west. An old dress shirt works for me.

bigcranky
06-27-2010, 14:33
thickness and ability to provide greater warmth? I am thinking about purchasing one or two for a backpacking trip this summer....I think the idea to get long sleeve from several posters seems sound, given that the trip will be in Sierras in July, and I expect lots of sun....just trying to determine if the Patagonia line is worth it, and whether the capilene 1 t-shirt or long sleeve crew will suffice and do the job in wicking and keeping me cooler...at night, temps will drop, so wondering how great the difference in Capilene 1 or 2

Short answer: Yes, Cap 2 is thicker than Cap 1.

Long answer: I like a loose nylon button front shirt for hiking out West. I find a tight-fitting pullover base layer is less comfortable.

trailangelbronco
06-27-2010, 14:57
SInce it has been brought up, cotton is an excellent choice in the dry summer heat of the west. An old dress shirt works for me.

I live out west and Cotton gets wet with sweat and then heavy and then takes forever to dry. Or, at least on my sweaty back!

Tinker
06-28-2010, 00:02
I live out west and Cotton gets wet with sweat and then heavy and then takes forever to dry. Or, at least on my sweaty back!

If it's hot enough you generally are more comfortable when your clothing is wet (from you or outside sources). The downside to cotton on a long trip is that it takes on a funky smell after a while and mildew can grow on it if it stays wet for too long.
Cotton wicks very well (depending on one's definition of "wicks"). It sucks water up from your body or any other source like a sponge (or, for that matter, a wick). Most synthetic fibers don't wick that well without special treatments (either chemically applied or by altering [usually air bulking] the fibers).

Mags
06-28-2010, 22:33
Capilene is fine if you are olfactorily numb - it smells within the first hour of wearing.

That's OK...most people do, too, when hiking. ;)

CosmicMiami
07-10-2010, 12:15
I'm hitting the trail (and the 'yak) with the long sleeve Sette cycling jersey from pricepoint.com. Has a zippered pocket in the back and a 1/4 zip front. I think they also have a full zip front too. They are light and cool on the road, should be on the trail too.

Oh...and they're cheap too.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2010, 12:37
WalMart had Starter brand short-sleeved shirts on sale a few months ago for three or four bucks each. Even at the regular price (about twice that) they're inexpensive and a great value.

Rocket here is on the right track here, EMS is having a sale on their $60 Tech shirts this weekend, and you can go get a shirt at Walmart for $5 that is microwoven 100% poyester that won't have all the vents and pockets, but you can trash it and don't care. I have several shirts that fit the bill under different labels that are perfect for hot sunny days and downpours. A little extra effort and you will find some colors acceptable - might take a few trips.

coyote13
07-25-2010, 14:05
Ditto!! I love my Columbias.big pockets too

johnnybgood
07-25-2010, 15:09
Targets C9 brand is 100% poly and wicks moisture well. I've been able to buy new C9 and Starter shirts at my local Goodwill for $3.99 so IMHO there's no need to pay mucho di~nero for a short sleeve shirt.