PDA

View Full Version : I've been shopping around for a Sleeping Bag

UCONNMike
11-07-2004, 21:19
and I'm looking to shave the pounds and oz. on my thru-hike next summer. The wealth of sleeping bags available is mind blowing, but I've found a bag that meets my price demands and weight demands. I wanted a bag in the 2 pound range and the one I've found is the Slumberjack Super Guide 30°F ThermoliteŽ Extreme Sleeping Bag (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38505756&memberId=12500226)
Has anyone seen this bag or had any experiences with it, and do you have any other suggestions for a good light and not expensive bag for my hike. Thanks.

Doctari
11-07-2004, 21:34
Looks like what I have been looking for.
I'm not really all that worried about the weight at this time (23 Lbs w 4 days food & 1 L water, FSO) but my bag packs at 8" x 18" so kindof takes up most of my pack. So one that is the same temp rating at a pack size of 6" x 16" will be ggggrrrrrrrreeeeat! And at 1/2 the weight that aint bad either (current bag = 4Lb 2 Oz).
Price seems nice too.
You do know that the Mfg's temp rating is usually fairly optimistic right? I sleep way warm, so a Mfg's temp rating of 30o should do me down to an easy 25o, but that is just me.

Doctari.

SalParadise
11-07-2004, 22:56
yeah, add at least 15 degrees to the temperature rating of any bag. You could check out Marmot's Never Winter or Never Summer bags, around $160. Marmot's cheapest one runs around $70, though it's a little narrow in the feet. Or Kelty makes a couple for around $90 that just don't pack quite as small. Lafuma makes one around 2 lbs. for about $100 and it packs quite small. Otherwise if you're looking to go cheaper than that, that Slumberjack's probably your best bet.

Lilred
11-08-2004, 00:22
and do you have any other suggestions for a good light and not expensive bag for my hike. Thanks.

Campmor has a 20 degree down bag that I use and like very much. There's one on ebay right now for sale, it's a long. comes in around 2 pounds. I spent a couple of very cold mornings in it. One on top of Tray mountain, where the wind was blowing right into the shelter, and another one in Muskrat Creek shelter, where I awoke to my washrag frozen solid as a rock. both nights I was toasty warm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=87101&item=7111452650&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It's at 57.00 right now. Campmor sells it for around a hundred or so. You've only got 17 hours left on this bid. Great deal. Check it out.

Here it is on the Campmor site.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/our_retail_store.jsp

UCONNMike
11-08-2004, 00:45
Wow, thanks a bunch. I'll take a look at that.

grrickar
11-08-2004, 10:14
Check out the Kelty Light Year Ultralight bags. They make two versions (two different temps). Both can be had for under $100 on Campmor, and both are filled with down and compress nicely.

I have a Mountain Hardware 15 degree synthetic bag, and it is heavy, doesn't compress well even with a compression sack, but it is really warm.

My intro to the world of down bags will be one of these Kelty bags for summer camping and hiking. I went with a cold weather bag thinking it would do everything, and it would if I used it as a quilt I suppose, but why carry more bag than you need?

ga>me>ak
11-08-2004, 11:37
I have the Slumberjack Elitist(sp?), right at 2 lbs, used it in 20 range with no problems.

Jaybird
11-08-2004, 12:33
and I'm looking to shave the pounds and oz. on my thru-hike next summer. The wealth of sleeping bags available is mind blowing, but I've found a bag that meets my price demands and weight demands. I wanted a bag in the 2 pound range and the one I've found is the Slumberjack Super Guide 30°F ThermoliteŽ Extreme Sleeping Bag (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38505756&memberId=12500226)
Has anyone seen this bag or had any experiences with it, and do you have any other suggestions for a good light and not expensive bag for my hike. Thanks.

spend a few extra bucks & go for a 20 degree bag...you'll be glad you did! :D

p.s. my WILD BILL 2.0 (20 degree bag) came from Campmor a couple years ago....suggested retail:$99.

SalParadise
11-09-2004, 01:03
Unfortunately from 30 degrees to 20 there's usually a big jump either in price, compactability of the bags or weight. If you can spare the weight, you could always go with a fleece liner and a 30-degree bag, which would add (subtract?) about 15 degrees to the rating of your bag. It's roughly a pound and they run $15. Plus you can ditch it and might be more comfortable in a higher-degree bag during the hot and muggy summer nights.
Also remember that a tent adds about 10 degrees of warmth from what it is outside, so if you're in a shelter, it'll feel colder because you'll be exposed underneath and to drafts.
on a side note, I've often heard that Western Mountaineering bags are warm and they tend not to exaggerrate their temp ratings as much.

TakeABreak
11-10-2004, 01:02
The comments above about going to a bag ratings is correct to get a warmer/lighter you usually have to pay more, I started my thru hike 2/12/00 with a 15 degree bag, a Marmot Pinnacle Long (675 Down) $300., 3 1/4 lbs. today Marmot has a 900 down, Helium Long, 2 lbs for $359. More money but a 1 1/4 lb savings.

Marmot also has a Hydrogen Long bag, 1 lb 9 oz, 900 down, $309.

Although I have used either of the new bags, Marmot Impressed me with the Pinnacle bag (never got cold even 10 degrees), I would consider the 900 bags for shaving lbs, if you are doing summer thru hike a degree would be a consideration to start with, with want to buy two bags and switch to 15 degree bag later when it gets cold.

erichlf
02-02-2005, 19:49
Has anyone seen this bag or had any experiences with it, and do you have any other suggestions for a good light and not expensive bag for my hike. Thanks. I had that bag. The rating is far from the real rating. I believe it got down to maybe just below 50 and I was starting to get cold. I hated that bag. Save your money up and get something better. Sleeping bag is not where you want to go cheap. I ended up getting a WM Highlite. Much better buy, and is $200. Not too bad for a down bag weighing in at 16 oz and rated for 35F. They have other that are a bit heavier but go down to lower temps.