PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Trail recommendations

PecosBackpacker
06-26-2010, 00:58
Originally, a buddy and I were planning on starting around the Asheville area for an 8 day trip. We discovered that GSMNP will probably be a better option. WE discovered that Clingmans Dome or Newfound Gap are recommended mid-points. Before I get my map in the mail, can someone recommend some good hikes in the area? We want to do four days up and four days back using one of the two above mentioned spots as halfway points. Are there any loop trails where we can hike up one way hike back another? Thanks for all your help.

Marta
06-26-2010, 06:58
All the trails in the Smokies are excellent and beautiful. National Geographic Map #229 shows the trails in detail, and explains the rules for making reservations, should you need some.

In eight days you could circumnavigate half the park. My suggestion would be to start at Deep Creek ranger station and hike up to the ridge to Mt. Cammerer, take in the fire tower, then go down to campsite 35 for the night. Pass through Cosby and continue along towards the Old Settlers Trail, go up towards Mt. Le Conte, and along The Boulevard to the AT and down to Newfound Gap or up to Clingman's Dome.

(Are you planning to leave food in a car there? If so, you might want to leave it in a bear canister. Hitch to Gatlinburg or Cherokee? Other than a waterless bathroom and a big parking lot, there aren't any services at Newfound Gap.)

There are a number of trails by which you could return to Big Creek, some of which will take you up and over Mt. Sterling. The Cataloochee area is where you are most likely to see elk.

Or you could follow a similar plan leaving from Fontana at the other end of the park. Hike up one side, around Abrams Creek and Cades Cove, come up to Clingman's Dome or Newfound Gap, and return along the Fontana Lake side of the park.

Have a great hike!

TIDE-HSV
06-26-2010, 08:30
Other than a waterless bathroom and a big parking lot, there aren't any services at Newfound Gap.)

When did they take the water out? I washed up there for many years after hikes. It was cold but very wet...

Marta
06-26-2010, 11:45
When did they take the water out? I washed up there for many years after hikes. It was cold but very wet...

Sigh. I know, but the the sinks are gone. I think they were taken out year before last. There are some hand sanitizer dispensers on the wall...at least in the women's bathroom.

TIDE-HSV
06-26-2010, 12:02
Sigh. I know, but the the sinks are gone. I think they were taken out year before last. There are some hand sanitizer dispensers on the wall...at least in the women's bathroom.

Oh, good grief! I guess they were a PITA to keep from freezing. A couple of years ago, my wife and I had hiked into Kephart Prong shelter, then up to Icewater and over to LeConte and down. We were planning on stopping at the visitors' center in Cherokee to clean up before driving on east to visit friends on Hatteras. When we got to the Smokemont center, the restrooms were closed. It turned out that there had been a gasoline spill into the Cherokee water supply and the whole town's water had been closed down. We had to drive on to next rest stop to wash up...

Marta
06-26-2010, 12:04
Oh, good grief! I guess they were a PITA to keep from freezing. A couple of years ago, my wife and I had hiked into Kephart Prong shelter, then up to Icewater and over to LeConte and down. We were planning on stopping at the visitors' center in Cherokee to clean up before driving on east to visit friends on Hatteras. When we got to the Smokemont center, the restrooms were closed. It turned out that there had been a gasoline spill into the Cherokee water supply and the whole town's water had been closed down. We had to drive on to next rest stop to wash up...

The toilets still have water in them, of course. I really can't figure out why they took out the sinks.

TIDE-HSV
06-26-2010, 12:06
I was assuming they hadn't gone back to pit toilets. Seems like the water supply lines would present exactly the same freezing problem as the sinks...

-Ghost-
06-28-2010, 00:19
Id really recommend trying to get up Mt. LeConte at some point. Pretty awesome.

Ox97GaMe
06-29-2010, 00:02
There are some definite high points no matter which part of the park you choose. Some areas that I like....

SE Quadrant: Mt Sterling, Panther Creek, Big Creek, Gunter Falls, Balsam Mtn, Cataloochee Valley, Enloe Creek,

NE Quadrant: Mauldran Bald, Mt LeConte, Rainbow Falls, Charlies Bunyon, Ramsey Cascade

NW Quadrant: Abram Falls, Scott Mountain, Cades Cove, Little River, Spence Field, Silers Bald, Clingman's Dome

SW Quadrant: 40 Mile/Wolf Creek, Gregory Bald, Forney Creek, High Rocks, Hazel Creek, The Tunnel

There is no water in the bathrooms at NFG, but there are drinking fountains with spigots in the parking lot area, so you can get drinking water. They replaced the restrooms at Clingman's Dome with new pit toilets and remodeled the old building into an information center. havent been there yet (opened last week), but heard it is pretty nice.

The main thing to remember when doing your planning... the AT runs the main ridge in the park. Any trails extending from that will be pretty steep up or down, depending on your route. Plan extra time to make those 2000-4000 ft climbs if you arent in shape. Definitely try to look at a topo map when doing you planning.

double j
06-29-2010, 01:00
x2 for charlies bunyon a must see !