PDA

View Full Version : Trail Angeling

trailangelbronco
06-26-2010, 21:26
When I was six years old, living in Maine, my Grandfather took me on my first overnight hike in New Hampshire. One the way to the trailhead, we stopped at another trail crossing and my Grandfather unloaded a Styrofoam Cooler full of Pops and home made cookies and left it on the AT, about 50 yards in from the road. He explained what the AT was, and that people would be crossing the trail after walking all the way from Georgia.

Blew my little mind, and I was hooked for life. I grew up hiking on that trail in Maine, NH and beyond, but never had 5 months to thru hike it myself. From that age on thru when I moved out west at age 22, I left alot of snacks and coolers on AT crossings. Met some pretty cool and interesting people, and I was jealous of most.

Any one here live near the trail and do the same?

Mountain Wildman
06-26-2010, 22:38
I live 4 miles from the Rattle River Trailhead on Route 2 outside of Gorham, NH.
I moved here, Well, because it is Paradise, Beautiful, sparse population, no traffic, no seatbelt laws, no cell phone laws, open carry for firearms, no taxes, no knife blade length limits, no state or sales tax, Well, you get the idea, Paradise. I had heard of the A.T. but didn't know much about it, I didn't realize I lived in a "Trail Town" until I started researching for my Thru-Hike. I just love seeing mountains in every direction I look. I grew up in a city of 80,000, Population here is 2,900. It didn't occur to me to do trail magic, I have been helping out hikers, giving rides to the trail head, offering my help as needed etc..., I think trail magic would be the next most likely step, I am sure I will end up being the recipient of trail magic on my thru next year. Thanks for jogging my thought processes, This is about the perfect time to do trail magic, I've already seen quite a few pass through here.

jesse
06-26-2010, 22:59
Should never leave anything.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2010, 23:59
Any one here live near the trail and do the same?

i live 60 yards from the trail and have no communication with the walkers. they ain't in need of anything

Different Socks
06-27-2010, 01:23
Few years back, while on vacation I left 5gal buckets full of things hikers could use and eat at shelters in Maine and Virginia.

Lemni Skate
06-27-2010, 06:02
Just make sure you go back to clean up. That trash doesn't pick itself up.

Cookerhiker
06-27-2010, 12:32
In May '05, I set up camp at Lewis Mountain CG in Shenandoah NP, picked 3 thruhikers at random back south at HighTop trailhead parking lot, and told them if they made it to Lewis Mountain and came to my campsite, there was a feast awaiting them. They came! Menu included marinated chicken & vegetables grilled on skewers, wine, homemade bread, salad, homemade brownies for dessert. In the morning, it was buckwheat pancakes with real maple syrup, fruit, coffee or hot chocolate, even bacon.

In June '06, I arrived at Gathland SP in Maryland, grilled hot dogs, burgers (both meat and veggie), potato salad freshmade guacamole with raw veggies & chips, beer & soda, and brownies. I had a sign in sheet just to know how many I served and follow their subsequent progress.

In both those cases, I lived over 60 miles from the Trail. I enjoyed it but now I live 4 hours away from the nearest point (Davenport Gap) so haven't made it back.

To reiterate what's already been brought up: if you leave a cooler with stuff, come back promptly to check on it and remove the trash.

trailangelmary
06-27-2010, 12:46

According to the NPS, you should not leave coolers on the trail unattended. I used to and risked getting a fine of $300 for littering. I now only do that sort of magic if I have time to stay.

trailangelbronco
06-27-2010, 14:19
Yes, I always drove back to the site after my hike to pick up the cooler and any discarded cans. On this site, I guess I should have known to mention that before ruffling feathers.

trailangelmary
06-27-2010, 14:25
Yes, I always drove back to the site after my hike to pick up the cooler and any discarded cans. On this site, I guess I should have known to mention that before ruffling feathers.

No ruffled feathers here, Bronco. Just some info about what happened to me and the NPS "law". By the way, the only way they knew to contact me was because I always identified my cooler with my name, contact info and a prayer.

trailangelbronco
06-27-2010, 14:53
Good advice. I guess I was an outlaw. LOL

jesse
06-27-2010, 15:33

That is in violation of LNT principles.

jesse
06-27-2010, 15:35

Hikers left empty cans?

Mountain Wildman
06-27-2010, 15:53
Maybe I will just continue to help out with free rides and any other way I can help and avoid being fined.:-?

Virginia Trails
06-27-2010, 19:42
We try to help hikers out, too. This year we had three thru-hikers we met online spend the night at our house. We helped another two slackpack through SNP and also sent them a care package later in the their hike. We've given countless rides through Shenandoah. And one night, earlier this summer we packed up our backpacks with fruit, sub sandwiches, chips, brownies, ice and sodas. We carried all the treats down to the Bearfence Shelter in SNP. We visited with the hikers, then hauled all the garbage from the feast out. We've never left an unattended cooler or food along the trail, though.

trailangelbronco
06-27-2010, 19:47
That is in violation of LNT principles.

The hikers who found the ice cold pop's and cookies didn't give a dam about that.

couscous
06-28-2010, 13:02
In teaching LNT classes I stress the underlying principle is to avoid diminishing the hiking experience of those who follow you. Leaving trail magic - especially beverages - or caching water does not diminish the hiking experience of those benefiting from your generosity. Especially on hot/humid days in areas with little water, your actions will more likely contribute to LNT principles by preventing hikers from bushwhacking to search for better water sources. I usually leave water and ice tea and pick up the ice tea before nightfall to avoid impacting animals.

ExplorerAtHeart
06-28-2010, 13:28
I was in Roanoke last spring fro a convention. Went up and hiked the trail on the last day. The day before i was scouting the area and gave a hiker named kneedeep a mile long ride to the bottom of the mountain.

JAK
06-28-2010, 13:39
Some folks here leave buckets full of stale donuts smeared in lard, and a leg hold trap.
I think it is for bears. Same idea?

Lone Wolf
06-28-2010, 15:26
In teaching LNT classes I stress the underlying principle is to avoid diminishing the hiking experience of those who follow you. Leaving trail magic - especially beverages - or caching water does not diminish the hiking experience of those benefiting from your generosity. Especially on hot/humid days in areas with little water, your actions will more likely contribute to LNT principles by preventing hikers from bushwhacking to search for better water sources. I usually leave water and ice tea and pick up the ice tea before nightfall to avoid impacting animals.

great rationalization teach leave no trace but leave a trace :-?

trailangelbronco
06-28-2010, 16:26
He left no trace after coming back to pick up the Ice Tea, same day that he left it.

I guess we could take it a step further and all hike backwards, using a fallen branch to cover the trace of our boot prints to ensure truly leaving no trace.

Sierra Echo
06-28-2010, 16:29
I have learned you cant make everyone happy.
Especially on this forum. You generally cant even make 50% of this
forum happy! :D

Cool AT Breeze
06-28-2010, 16:55
Some people don't want to be happy.

Sierra Echo
06-28-2010, 16:58
I agree with you 100%!
I personally love being happy and having a good time.
Its interesting too. Out on the trail you meet all these friendly people
and you stop and chat. Then you get on here and everyone is grumpy and calling each other idiots.
I would have to say that I have never ran into the majority of the people on this forum out on the trail!

couscous
06-28-2010, 17:05

So true. Lone Wolf is correct I have left a "trace", but it's only temporary until I have picked up the empty jugs .. then it's back to "no trace". When I mentioned to "Cricket" and "Pale Blue Dot" on June 13th that I left cold sweet tea and water a mile ahead of them at VA 608, they expressed gratitude and eagerness rather than indignation.. maybe that was due to the heat. When I left the area, so did all trace of my visit.

Mountain Wildman
06-28-2010, 17:19

It's very true and very sad, We don't know which day will be our last.
Why would anyone go through life being unhappy and miserable?
Bad things do happen but life goes on. I lost a very special person last month and I mourn the loss but I am not walking around in misery.
Enjoy every day, you are not guaranteed another one!!

Lone Wolf
06-28-2010, 17:38

I agree with you 100%!
I personally love being happy and having a good time.
Its interesting too. Out on the trail you meet all these friendly people
and you stop and chat. Then you get on here and everyone is grumpy and calling each other idiots.
I would have to say that I have never ran into the majority of the people on this forum out on the trail!

It's very true and very sad, We don't know which day will be our last.
Why would anyone go through life being unhappy and miserable?
Bad things do happen but life goes on. I lost a very special person last month and I mourn the loss but I am not walking around in misery.
Enjoy every day, you are not guaranteed another one!!
who is unhappy?

sbhikes
06-28-2010, 22:31
I live a couple hours away from the PCT. My boyfriend and I brought some avocados from our trees and some Montrail and Merrell shoes that didn't fit plus a cooler full of drinks and some snacks to one of the trail angel's houses. We drove people into town and back to the trail a few times. Other times we've driven by the trail on our way elsewhere with hopes of being able to give someone a ride, but so far no luck. We brought more avocados to a ruck at Walker Pass (we have eight 40-foot avocado trees) plus more drinks. They were well-received. My mom lives real close to the trail and she has started leaving her phone number on the trail so people can call her to get a ride to town. Sometimes she'll invite people to spend the night and she'll feed them. She went up to one of the well-known trail angel's houses not too far from hers and did a bunch of yard work to help them get ready for the hikers. I might go up to visit my mom this summer and give rides to hikers in town. Trail angeling is really fun and keeps the fire alive.

Edie
06-30-2010, 07:52
For every good deed, there will always be someone who will find something bad about it. This is true for many areas of life.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2010, 08:16
For every good deed, there will always be someone who will find something bad about it.

leaving food unattended is not a good deed

Old Hiker
06-30-2010, 08:18
who is unhappy?

< Old Hiker trudges in, sighs, raises his hand, lowers hand, trudges out. >

Erin
07-01-2010, 00:47
When I drove out east for a trip in 2004 I knew I would cross the trail and packed cokes and candy bars in my cooler for potential hikers. Even though I stopped at AT crossings in Virginia, the Shenandoah and New York and eventually Maine, I never saw a hiker and was afraid to leave unattended food and sodas.
So I never made it as a trail angel. But thanks to you that do.

sasquatch2014
07-01-2010, 06:11
It's not always about food. I know sounds crazy right.

Last night after I dropped a hikers mom off so she could hike a few days with her son on his Birthday we were standing in front of the, and I use this term lightly "outfitter", in Kent with som eof the other hikers. I happened to hear one of the hikers telling one of the other hikers that he wasn't sure what he was going to do about his feet. He had gotten new shoes 5 days back near Bear Mt and they were eating his feet up. The big issues was he had a size 14 foot.

It was getting late and was already 8:00 pm. A quick call to EMS down in Danbury and we found out the store was open until 9:30. In to the car we hopped and we were Danbury bound. We got there and after dealing with EMS about the return we headed back to Kent a bit after 10:00 with a new pair of shoes that he really likes.

When we got to Kent it was almost 11:00 and we saw one of the guys they had been with earlier jogging down the road towards the trail. We flipped around and headed back to give him a lift. Ok we did just kind of trail him for a bit in a sketchy manner to screw with him a bit first. Turns out he had a problem with a tent pole snapping on him and was heading back to get his gear because he remembered some food type items that might had gotten it chewed up due to the smell.

By 11:30 or so they were all heading back to the one room that the hikers mom had rented who was so excited to share the trail experience with her son. I am not sure but by my low count i would say it was her and at least 5 hikers in the room. Welcome to the trail.

The hiker who needed new shoes was at a low point and with out expecting it or asking even got exactly what he was needing. The hkier who after a tent mishap and a sudden need to jog back to the trail got a ride to and from at 11:00 at night. It's not all about food.

couscous
07-01-2010, 06:53
Excellent point. Sometimes it is simply transporting them to a Post Office 9 miles away on a Saturday morning so they can get their mail drop before it closes for the weekend.

sasquatch2014
07-01-2010, 18:32
Excellent point. Sometimes it is simply transporting them to a Post Office 9 miles away on a Saturday morning so they can get their mail drop before it closes for the weekend.

I agree the most thankful are those who got somethingthey could not have had on their own. Most hikers have food and drink, is it a soda or a beer of sweets maybe not buit they won't go hungry. Do they have a way to get 30 miles away in 45 min before a store closes? Can they get simple ater out of a stream that has gone dry? These are the things that seem to make some of the biggest impressions, this doesn't mean that I wont hike in some tasy cold beverages to the shelter from time to time.

Mountain Wildman
07-01-2010, 19:27

Last night after I dropped a hikers mom off so she could hike a few days with her son on his Birthday we were standing in front of the, and I use this term lightly "outfitter", in Kent with som eof the other hikers. I happened to hear one of the hikers telling one of the other hikers that he wasn't sure what he was going to do about his feet. He had gotten new shoes 5 days back near Bear Mt and they were eating his feet up. The big issues was he had a size 14 foot.

It was getting late and was already 8:00 pm. A quick call to EMS down in Danbury and we found out the store was open until 9:30. In to the car we hopped and we were Danbury bound. We got there and after dealing with EMS about the return we headed back to Kent a bit after 10:00 with a new pair of shoes that he really likes.

When we got to Kent it was almost 11:00 and we saw one of the guys they had been with earlier jogging down the road towards the trail. We flipped around and headed back to give him a lift. Ok we did just kind of trail him for a bit in a sketchy manner to screw with him a bit first. Turns out he had a problem with a tent pole snapping on him and was heading back to get his gear because he remembered some food type items that might had gotten it chewed up due to the smell.

By 11:30 or so they were all heading back to the one room that the hikers mom had rented who was so excited to share the trail experience with her son. I am not sure but by my low count i would say it was her and at least 5 hikers in the room. Welcome to the trail.

The hiker who needed new shoes was at a low point and with out expecting it or asking even got exactly what he was needing. The hkier who after a tent mishap and a sudden need to jog back to the trail got a ride to and from at 11:00 at night. It's not all about food.

That's Awesome!!!:)