PDA

View Full Version : Does the early bird get the shaft?

THE DITTFIELD
06-27-2010, 07:03
So my buddy back east tells me that we have to pick up our (reserved)backcountry permits prior to 10am on the 4th of August, or they may get gone.... So I ask, "Can't we get them on the 3rd?" I mean, what happens if we get there a day early to prevent a late arrival? He is saying that we can't get them until the 4th. Also, the bus jumping from Lone pine to Yosemite will have us arriving a day early. It seems that the bus schedule will have us arriving in Yosemite(from Mammoth Lakes) at 11am. This means we have to get there on the 3rd in order to pick up our permits on the 4th. Can we crash in the parking lot until the morning? Anyone else find themselves in a pickle like this? Any advice/helpful answers are appreciated! :o

tothetrail
06-27-2010, 09:47
It is explained on the permit reservation confirmation.

If you will not make it by 10:00 AM, call them no more than two days prior to ask them to hold your reservation for late arrival. As long as you call them, you can pick up your permit anytime that same day.

THE DITTFIELD
06-29-2010, 01:14
Yes, it certainly is! I just got the copy of the confirmation emailed over to me and see. Thanks for the help!

aufgahoban
06-29-2010, 08:06
There is a backpackers campground there in Yosemite, so if you need to spend the night you can. I don't think they even charge for backpackers.

OHBob
06-29-2010, 09:20
I stayed at the backpacker's camp last, and intend to do so again this year. If there was a charge, no one collected it from me.

Tipi Walter
06-29-2010, 09:50
I always heard that the early bird catches the worm, but that means the early worm gets eaten. Hmmm . . . . . . . .

sbhikes
06-29-2010, 12:42
Does anybody know if that's the same for picking up permits in Mammoth? Do I have to be there on the day of my permit before 10AM?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-30-2010, 10:58
you aren't heading for a trailhead where there won't be a lot of competition for the permits, plus all trailheads reserve extra permits for walk-ins. Even if there's a deadline, you probably are good to go. Call them if you're delayed and let them know you're still on schedule, just a little later that day, and they will hold the permit.

Places like the Mount Whitney Trail and Happy Isles in Yosemite are the exception, as there are always people waiting for somebody to drop out during season.

longneck
07-28-2010, 14:45
For what it's worth, I was able to pick up my wilderness permit a day in advance, at the Big Oak Flat entrance station. Just walked into the information office, gave them my name, she typed some stuff into a computer, and presto I had it.