PDA

View Full Version : trying to get to NYC via AT

joestein
06-27-2010, 19:09
Ill be up to NY in less then a month and i wanna go into the city, and from what I've gathered the AT station only runs on sat. and sun. So what are my options?

thanks for the help....

oh and i just past Harpers Ferry 2 days ago... yay.

and Im enjoying the AC at FREE STATE HIKER HOSTEL... great hostel!

Cookerhiker
06-27-2010, 19:20
You have a few options. I'd narrow it down to the following:

Bus from Bear Mountain to NYC via Shortline
Take a cab from Bear Mountain to Peekskill across the river and take the train in on the MetroNorth Hudson line
Train from Pawling
I'd recommend the last option. It's the same line (MetroNorth Harlem line) that services the AT weekends-only station. Pawling is an easy hitch south (right) down NY Rt. 22. Trains run all day whereas the Shortline bus only runs 1-2 times. When I section-hiked (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=103303) from Bear Mountain to Rt. 22, I returned by hitching and taking one of these trains.

The link is a PDF hard to read: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/6212010HarlemLineM_F.pdf
but you can use the back button and punch in a custom-made timetable for yourself.

Depending on date/time you reach Rt. 22, Sasquatch can probably help you.

LIhikers
06-27-2010, 19:20
There's a bus from Delaware Water Gap, PA
train or bus from just south of Harriman State Park, NY
I seem to remember a bus from route 17a someplace, maybe Greenwood Lake
Bus from Bear Mountain, NY
Trains from Pawling, or Garrison, NY

Arden
06-28-2010, 23:19
Isn't there a side trail that crosses the AT just before you head down Agony Grind (Arden Mountain) to route 17 which will take you to a point on route 17 across from the Harriman train station?

I can't remember the name of that trail right now, but it's about 2 miles from the AT to the train station.
You would turn left onto this trail if you are heading NOBO on the AT.

Service on Metro North/NJ Transit from Harriman is not all that great, but I do believe there are daily trains. You would need to change at Secaucus Junction to get into NYC (Penn Station).

Tuxedo station is in the opposite direction on route 17 off the AT (turn right), but it's a longer walk and I prefer not to hike along that road. It's a 50mph highway and it's a bit scary (for me anyway), although I have hiked there on occasion.

You could also get a taxi to pick you up at the AT on route 17 and take you to the Tuxedo train station, where you can get either the train, or a bus (for the bus, you would need to be on the opposite side of the highway from the train station. There is a row of stores there).

Hope this helps

Arden

eric j
06-29-2010, 07:03
You could hike the camp smith trail to Peekskill, from the summit of Anthonys nose, east side of Bear Mtn. Bridge. Walk thru Annesille creek park, Metro North Station is a 1/4 mile. Trains every hour, half hour peak I believe.:sun

Cookerhiker
06-29-2010, 07:14
...Service on Metro North/NJ Transit from Harriman is not all that great, but I do believe there are daily trains. You would need to change at Secaucus Junction to get into NYC (Penn Station...

Or you ride all the way to Hoboken and take the ferry or PATH line into NYC.

Arden
06-29-2010, 17:49
You could hike the camp smith trail to Peekskill, from the summit of Anthonys nose, east side of Bear Mtn. Bridge. Walk thru Annesille creek park, Metro North Station is a 1/4 mile. Trains every hour, half hour peak I believe.:sun
I like that idea. Anthony's nose is definitely worth visiting!

XCskiNYC
06-29-2010, 18:42
Just east, trail north, of the AT station (located on the Metro-North Harlem Line), you will cross NY22. Turn right, south, on NY22 and it's about a 3 mile road walk into Pawling. Trains leave from there to the city about once every couple of hours.

The Shortline Bus from Bear Mtn. mentioned above is right on the trail, at the Bear Mtn. Traffic Circle. The schedule info is at the Coach USA site.

If you'd rather take a train from near Bear Mtn., probably the easiest way is to pick up NY403 at the NY403/US9 road crossing just west (trail south) of the Greymore Friary grounds, at the Appalachian Market convenience store. NY403 westbound begins at this Y-intersection. Stay on 403 (it changes name to Lower Station Road after about 3 miles) until you hit Garrison Station on the Metro-North Hudson River Line. The whole walk's about 4 miles. Trains leave for NYC about once an hour.

weather220
06-29-2010, 18:58
you could also take the long path and hike all the way to new york city. it intersects the AT in harriman state park, between the lemon squeezer and fingerboard shelter.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58851&page=2

sasquatch2014
06-29-2010, 21:37
If you want to do the Pawling stop give me a shout and we can talk about timing etc. Not a big deal drop folks off a lot. Sounds like we have a little while to work out options. Cell is 845 220 8856 or you can PM me either way.