PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions 7/3-7/5

back home
06-27-2010, 20:12
My son is currently thru-hiking the AT. He left Duncannon this morning, going north. A friend of his is flying into Philadelphia the evening of July 2, to spend a couple of days on the trail, to get a taste of the hiking life, never having done anything like this before. Unfortunately time is very limited. My son would appreciate suggestions for transportation to and from airport, as well as best segment of trail for such a short trip, anywhere between Pine Grove and DWG. We checked bus schedules, they are so limited, they would have virtually no time to hike. Looking for shuttle possibilities, any other advice. Thanks!

fiddlehead
06-27-2010, 20:47
Hamburg, PA or Pine Grove, PA are your best bets to catch him IMO.
Hamburg is 3 miles from Port Clinton (bus goes through Port Clinton but I don't think it stops there)
From Pine Grove, you need to hitch up 501 to the top of the mountain. There is a great overlook just southbound about .2 of a mile. There is a shelter just north of the junction.
I would leave a note at the overlook that the friend would be waiting at the shelter (not everyone goes to the shelter)
I hope this helps.

shelterbuilder
06-27-2010, 21:21
Your son may have to slow down his pace a bit in order to be able to link up with his friend in Port Clinton on July 2nd! If the friend can get from Philly to Reading, I think that he could pick up a BARTA bus (local bus transportation) from Reading to Cabela's (just outside of Hamburg on Rt. 61). [Someone with more info on the local bus system: help us out here...emerald????] And I believe that the Schuylkill Transportation Systems (STS) has a line that comes down from Pottsville on Rt. 61 to Cabela's...pick that one up, or CAREFULLY walk up to Port Clinton (1 1/2 miles or so).
There may also be shuttles available locally - check with ATC.

back home
06-27-2010, 21:49
Thanks for the replies, ya'll! I guess I didn't make my question clear enough. My son is planning to hitch to the airport to meet his friend, then they will need a ride to the AT that and on Mon. 7/5 the friend will need to return to the airport for a 6:00 p.m. flight. My son may or may not accompany friend, depends on arrangements. I'm thinking that some local shuttle would be their best option, if available. Also, they thought about hiking together at DWG, do you guys have any other suggestions for a 2 day hike in that general area? Thanks for the input!