PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite trip next month

flemdawg1
06-27-2010, 21:16
I've got another business trip next month to San Fran (your tax $s @ work) and thought I'd bring my wife along then stay over the weekend and visit Yosemite NP. I'll prob get to YNP late afternoon Thursday and have to get back to SF for a 11 am flight home Sunday. Meaning that I'm really looking at an overnight hike or a shortish 2-night. Suggestions?

Kerosene
06-27-2010, 23:19
Well, I was going to suggest climbing Half Dome, but in looking at the National Park Service website (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lyv.htm), it looks as if you have to have a permit that might be hard to obtain on short notice.

Adayak
06-28-2010, 11:09
If you're up for a challenge do the Upper Yosemite Falls trail.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2010, 11:28
I'd look for a hike out of Tuolomne Meadows. One example: hiking out-and-back on the JMT along Lyell Fork (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=157095) would be beautiful and not particularly difficult unless you have an elevation issue but you can go your own pace.

But because you're going on a summer weekend, I suggest you check in with the permit office when you arrive and find out what's available.

Pacific Tortuga
06-28-2010, 11:50
Do you have reservations?, Park will be a little busy next week all squeezed together in a 2 mile valley. Not a pretty picture, good luck.

sbhikes
06-28-2010, 12:12
I suggest Tuolumne Meadows, too, but rather than Lyell Canyon, go hike in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. It's the best scenery I've ever seen.

flemdawg1
06-28-2010, 12:21
Do you have reservations?, Park will be a little busy next week all squeezed together in a 2 mile valley. Not a pretty picture, good luck.

No reservations yet, the trip is in 4 weeks and I thought I need to figure out where I'm going before applying.

Mrs Baggins
06-28-2010, 13:08

You don't just show up at Yosemite and spend the night. Not in the summer. You may get lucky and get there just as someone has canceled a room or maybe a "housekeeping" tent. Yosemite in the summer is a frantic madhouse of people and traffic and cars parked all up and down the sides of the roads because the lots for viewing the falls are too packed. You can try an outlying town but they usually get booked up as well if they're at all close to the entrances.

flemdawg1
06-28-2010, 13:18
You don't just show up at Yosemite and spend the night. Not in the summer. You may get lucky and get there just as someone has canceled a room or maybe a "housekeeping" tent. Yosemite in the summer is a frantic madhouse of people and traffic and cars parked all up and down the sides of the roads because the lots for viewing the falls are too packed. You can try an outlying town but they usually get booked up as well if they're at all close to the entrances.

Don't need a hotel, bringing the tent. I need info for what trails to go on, shuttling points, logistics (how much water to carry, cold weather gear?), etc.

Pacific Tortuga
06-28-2010, 13:35
Weather is usually perfect, bugs are hungry, water is plentyful, chilly at night, any trail is well worth the effort, finding a piece of land to throw your tent on, near impossible.
This did get me to thinkin' (not a word) about how expensive it is now, entry and camping fee's. There must be campers in small parties that can have another tent spot open, one family that can use some cash to offset the cost. Or go to the backcountry camp site, they may have a opening, is it still first come first serve ? Shuttle's are available not sure what the or how to find their scheduals.
Bring her in the fall on your non-taxpayer dime, it will still be worth it.

Mrs Baggins
06-28-2010, 14:39
From YNP's website:

Yosemite National Park has 13 popular campgrounds (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm), of which up to seven are on a reservation system. From April through September, reservations are essential and even the first-come, first-served campgrounds (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm) often fill by noon from May through September.

Campground Reservations
Reservations are required March 15 through November for Yosemite Valley’s car campgrounds and summer through fall for Hodgdon Meadow, Wawona, and half of Crane Flat and Tuolumne Meadows. Campground reservations are available in blocks of one month at a time, up to five months in advance, on the 15th of each month at 7 am Pacific time. Be aware that nearly all reservations for the months of May through September and for some other weekends are filled the first day they become available (often within minutes after 7 am)!

yaduck9
06-28-2010, 15:13
I did a spur the moment trip and passed through Yosemite three weeks ago. I camped on the east side of the mountain at aspen campsite for 14 bucks and no reservation, but the down side is that you need to travel through the park via TIOGA Pass to get to the east side ( about 45 minutes ).

You will probably have much better luck hiking out of one of the trail heads along the Tioga pass and avoiding all of the folks who will be concentrated in Yosemite valley. Where ever you go, it will be beautiful, crowded or not.

Just my two cents.

And if you drive on Tioga pass, keep an eye peeled for the folks who plant themselves in the road for a better camera shot.

Good Luck

flemdawg1
06-28-2010, 15:27
Going to try using the Backpacker's campsites, if needed & available. First, I need to know where I'm going BPing and get my permit. Is it better to get try for a permit walking up or try to get whatever is available?

Criteria for hike:
2&1/3 day without too much mileage or elevation gain (DW isn't in great shape and sometimes has excercise-induced asthma).
Good views & camping.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2010, 16:59
Going to try using the Backpacker's campsites, if needed & available. First, I need to know where I'm going BPing and get my permit. Is it better to get try for a permit walking up or try to get whatever is available?

Criteria for hike:
2&1/3 day without too much mileage or elevation gain (DW isn't in great shape and sometimes has excercise-induced asthma).
Good views & camping.

Then I reiterate my advice (Post #4) unless your partner's asthma results in an aversion to hiking over 8,000'. Go to the Permit Office, aim for a Tuolomne Meadows start, but settle for what they offer.

flemdawg1
06-30-2010, 15:39
Just about everything is booked up for TM. I Founfd this on BPL
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/21452/index.html?skip_to_post=293284#293284
and going up Yosemite falls to Riboon meadow to Old big oak Road is open for reservations. Should I reserve this and hope to get a walkup late Thursday for doing it in reverse?

flemdawg1
07-01-2010, 14:24
Put in my reservation for Wilderness Permit
1st choice: Rockslides to Yosemite Falls
2nd Choice: Yosemite Falls to OBOFT
3nd Choice (simply because i needed one): Yosemite Creek Campgound to Porcupine creek

flemdawg1
07-01-2010, 15:12
Got my 1st choice, I can't wait!!

10-K
07-01-2010, 15:32
Got my 1st choice, I can't wait!!

Don't you love it when things fall your way? :)

Mrs Baggins
07-01-2010, 19:43
Watch for a horse-mounted ranger named Billie! Friends since we were 12 years old, my maid of honor at my wedding, and has been in the park for 30 years. Say Hey if you see her! And do take bug repellent! We were going to spend 7 days there on our honeymoon in 1975 - left in 4 days because I had more than 60 bites on my legs alone. They were biting through the Cutter repellent. Have been back many many times since, and mozzies are always horrific in the summer in the valley.

flemdawg1
07-06-2010, 16:46
Watch for a horse-mounted ranger named Billie! Friends since we were 12 years old, my maid of honor at my wedding, and has been in the park for 30 years. Say Hey if you see her! And do take bug repellent! We were going to spend 7 days there on our honeymoon in 1975 - left in 4 days because I had more than 60 bites on my legs alone. They were biting through the Cutter repellent. Have been back many many times since, and mozzies are always horrific in the summer in the valley.

Definately thinking about buying some Permethrin treatment for my trail clothes the week prior to going.

chelko
07-08-2010, 14:00
Just got back from yosemite yesterday. Did some dayhiking with my daughter. Panorama Trail, Yosemite Falls Trail. Weather was great. Crowds and bugs were much better that I imagined.