PDA

View Full Version : Request Suggestion's

World-Wide
06-28-2010, 00:17
Hello all. I've followed this site while stationed in Okinawa where the majority of my hiking experience remains. While in Kirkuk, Iraq it was great to keep in touch w/hiker's such as MADDOG who currently made it to New Jersey just days ago. I just retired from the Air Force after 20 years, 5 months and 19 days. I would like to take off on the trail this coming February, but I'm having trouble w/not working for the first time in over 20 years. Guess what I'm requesting is your opinions on whether I should jump back into the job market or hit he trail. Regardless of your comments, they're all appreciated. Bless all those like MADDOG who are on the trail now!! :) World-Wide

wcgornto
06-28-2010, 00:21
Trail first, then job market. The job market can hardly be worse after the trail than it is now.

fiddlehead
06-28-2010, 00:34
Hike now.
Hike whenever you can.
Work is for when you can't hike (monetarily, physically, mentally, or prior commitments)
No hesitation. Just do it.

mudhead
06-28-2010, 09:00
You have seen how quick stuff happens.

Get your paperwork squared.

Go.

You have earned some time for yourself.

sixhusbands
06-28-2010, 09:14
First of all , thank you for your service to our nation for all those years!
You must be in good shape but the daily grind on the trail will take its toll. You could spend the time between now and Feb getting your leggs in trail shape or just chilling on the beach. Hopefully I will see you on the trail and the first cheeseburger is on me! Good luck

ebandlam
06-28-2010, 09:35
Thank you for your service to our country.. 20 yrs is a long time.

I'd say - do the hike now. Once you start on a job, the daily trials and tribulations can distract you from what you have dreamed of (a situation I find myself in). So go out there and hike. Enjoy!!

sbhikes
06-28-2010, 12:11
If you need to work, get a low-committment job. Something you can walk away from easily when it's time to go hike.

Feral Bill
06-28-2010, 12:26
You did not mention any other commitments, like family. So take care of yourself. This could be interesting after 20+ years as a team player.
You could work on training for your post-service career between now and then. Maybe nice transition time this summer, some classes in the fall, then off to the trail.

Welcome back.

Deadeye
06-28-2010, 13:09
You have seen how quick stuff happens.

Get your paperwork squared.

Go.

You have earned some time for yourself.

Ditto to that and the crappy job market will be better when you're done (we hope)

fredmugs
06-29-2010, 11:40
If you can afford it and don't have any personal obligations I would do it. Sounds like you really want to accomplish this and there's a lot of people on here that regret not doing a through hike when they had the chance.

TexasEd
06-29-2010, 15:28
Spouse and kids (if any) need to be considered first.

If that is not an issue go for it.

Feral Bill
06-29-2010, 15:59
If you can afford it and don't have any personal obligations I would do it. Sounds like you really want to accomplish this and there's a lot of people on here that regret not doing a through hike when they had the chance.

Come to think of it, as retired military you have a steady retirement income and medical coverage. You could make a new career of long distance hiking.

fredmugs
06-30-2010, 08:35
Come to think of it, as retired military you have a steady retirement income and medical coverage. You could make a new career of long distance hiking.

That's my long term plan. Hopefully finish sectioning the AT next year and then start doing hiking trips out west with the purpose of finding a place to live once I retire.

Cabin Fever
06-30-2010, 08:59
Talk to Mountain Squid. He is retired Navy and a trail maintenance machine among many other good things for the AT. I am sure he will have some good advice.

Maddog
06-30-2010, 09:49
hey man! if money isnt an issue, go for it! youve paid your dues...you deserve this! im having the time of my life! start training...it really pays off! go to the ramada plaza in macon and climb the stairs with your pack! top-to-bottom 5x a day and youll be ready to rock! see ya soon! happy trails! MADDOG

FritztheCat
06-30-2010, 17:10
I retire in 30 days after 20 years and hit the AT next April for my thru. My humble advice would be to hike if you can afford the time away from employment. Military retirement isn't that great but at least it is steady, reliable income. You may be in a transition period where you don't really know what the next step is so a thru hike would be a great way to mull options over in your mind as you hike.

Congrats on your retirement brother!

10-K
06-30-2010, 18:21
Asking if you should hike or work on a hiking site is kinda funny. :)

Thanks for your service!

Lone Wolf
06-30-2010, 18:23
Guess what I'm requesting is your opinions on whether I should jump back into the job market or hit he trail.

the answer is an absolute no-brainer