PDA

View Full Version : Mill River Suspension Bridge, Clarendon Gorge

Arden
06-28-2010, 00:42
Hi;
I was at the Mill River Suspension Bridge on the AT in Clarendon Gorge. There is a railroad crossing of the Vermont Railway crossing route 103 immediately at the parking area for the trail, which descends to the bridge from the road.
It's quite a sight. The high walls and the rushing Mill River.

There was a plaque in memory of a young man who died there when the old bridge had been partially washed out due to heavy flooding. He tried to cross the damaged span but fell into the river, which apparently washed his body down stream. He was never seen again, but I think his pack was recovered.

It was a sad story, and I learned more about it when I returned home and looked up the name of the kid on the web.
Now, I don't recall his whole name, but the last name "Brugman" comes to me.

Has anyone been over the bridge recently and recall the name on the plaque which sits over the span at the north (route 103) side of the bridge?

I am going to be going back up to the Rutland/Killington area this fall, and will be taking another look around the gorge.
I'm thinking of tenting in the pine forest just on the other side of the bridge. Is it legal? Maybe a little too close to the road, and the water for it to be a legal tent site... Would be pretty cool though.

Arden

Jeff
06-28-2010, 06:19
I believe the bridge was dedicated to the memory of Robert Brugmann. Camping is discouraged near the bridge. Lots and lots of locals come there to swim so it's not really a safe place to overnight.

Sure do agree it is a beautiful spot...and the Whistle Stop Restaurant nearby makes it even more beautiful to most hikers!!!!

Arden
06-28-2010, 09:45
Thanks for the advice Jeff;
I do normally stay away from tenting close to roads, but maybe in winter when no one is swimming it would be a good place.
Might even catch a train on the Vermont Railway line. It's freight only (except for maybe an occasional passenger excursion), so when I say "catch", I'm thinking more of just seeing or photographing:D

The Clarendon Shelter is not far in the other direction. I have been there, but never slept there.

Actually, I would like to do a "thru-hike" in VT. Maybe take Amtrak to Rutland, hike along 103 to Clarendon Gorge, then north to the Connecticut River.
I can then take another Amtrak train from White River Junction back home.

I think I would do that hike in late fall or in winter. I've got the gear, and I think it would be an interesting experience, and without the bugs!

Arden

Blue Jay
06-29-2010, 08:59
Thanks for the advice Jeff;
I do normally stay away from tenting close to roads, but maybe in winter when no one is swimming it would be a good place.
Might even catch a train on the Vermont Railway line. It's freight only (except for maybe an occasional passenger excursion), so when I say "catch", I'm thinking more of just seeing or photographing:D

The Clarendon Shelter is not far in the other direction. I have been there, but never slept there.

Actually, I would like to do a "thru-hike" in VT. Maybe take Amtrak to Rutland, hike along 103 to Clarendon Gorge, then north to the Connecticut River.
I can then take another Amtrak train from White River Junction back home.

I think I would do that hike in late fall or in winter. I've got the gear, and I think it would be an interesting experience, and without the bugs!

Arden

This is great, I might steal your train shuttle idea, thank you. Why didn't I think of that?

Jeff
06-29-2010, 09:15
In Rutland you can easily walk from the Amtrak station to the bus depot (behind the Twelve Tribes Hostel). Give the bus company a call... they can probably get you close to the trailhead on VT103.

http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm

Arden
06-29-2010, 17:41
In Rutland you can easily walk from the Amtrak station to the bus depot (behind the Twelve Tribes Hostel). Give the bus company a call... they can probably get you close to the trailhead on VT103.

http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm
Actually, I think doing it SOBO would work better.
The train's arrival in Rutland is late (9:05PM daily except Fri, 11:30PM Fri), so you will need to spend the night there (in a hotel $$) unless you can get to the trail and up to the Clarendon shelter by night.

Doing it SOBO, you arrive by train in White River Jct at 6:45PM.
You have a 5mi taxi ride (won't be hard to find a cab at the train station) to the trailhead, then another 3mi or so south on the trail to the Happy Hill shelter/Campsite.

Heading SOBO, you will want to arrive in Rutland on Sat or Sun, as the train leaves at 4:45PM on SAT/Sun, but at 7:40AM on weekdays. That's a bit early to get up, off the trail, and to the station.

There is tenting Lean-To's and even cabins, and showers available at Gifford Woods SP, where the trail crosses VT 100 near the junction of US 4 in Killington.
I would probably spend a night there (heading sobo), then my last night at the Clarendon shelter; or just cut out the last section and get off at Gifford and get transportation back to Rutland.

Of course if you do your hike in late fall or winter like I would like to, Gifford Woods will be closed, but you may still be able to tent there. Otherwise, there is the Tucker Johnson shelter up on the Long Trail, about 1/2mi from the AT/LT Junction, or the Churchill Scott shelter 2mi S of the US 4 crossing.

Arden

Arden
06-29-2010, 17:46
And if you do it in winter, when Killington is open for skiing, you can add a day of skiing to the trek.
Just leave your pack at the Cooper lodge (doubt anyone would bother your stuff), hike up the Killington Peak trail to the gondola station, take the gon down to the base and rent ski equipment for the day.
When you're done, just drop the equipment off, take the gon back to the summit and hike the trail back to the lodge.

Arden