PDA

View Full Version : first hike ideas

Sheryll
06-28-2010, 08:14
Hello everybody,
I am still new to this site. I love reading the responses, but have not posted much.
I would like to ask everybody for ideas on a first hike. My husband, 15 year old son and I are wanting to do a short weekend hike. We are brand new at this, but have been reading up on hiking and checking out this website. We did a couple of day hikes last year and loved it, now we want to try a little backpacking. Someone suggested Standing Indian as a first time hike. What do you guys think?
(we live in Jacksonville Florida so we have to consider drive time too)
Thanks in advance for any help!
Sheryll

solstice
06-28-2010, 10:33
Gold Head Branch State Park (2 hours N of Orlando) has a section of the Florida Trail passing through it, and a nice trail into a ravine (the temps are lower as you descend, good for those horrible Florida summer temperatures!

Alternatively, Ocala National Forest has a nice Florida Trail section going southbound.

Alternatively, you could do the start of the AT! It would be a half a day's drive to Amicalola Falls State Park for you, but completely worth it. Lots of places to check out along the way also. I recently day-hiked Amicalola-to-Springer and back and loved it. You could hike the 8.8 miles of the Approach Trail, camp at Springer, and hike down to Amicalola the next day, or you could keep going north.

The AT in Georgia has many good access points (service roads, and shuttle services abound) that it would be an ideal first time overnight.

Have fun!

Adayak
06-28-2010, 11:04
Hey Sheryll, I'm also in Jacksonville... though I'm out at the beaches so not too close to Middleburg.

This time of year, I'd recommend planning a drive to north Georgia for a weekend hike. You can get there in around 5 hours. Hiking in Florida is brutal this time of year, and the bugs will get pretty bad.

But if you're set on Florida, check out this website: http://www.floridahikes.com

She has tons of details on every trail in the state.

Sheryll
06-28-2010, 11:15
thanks for the replies. I am actually wanting to get away from florida. (gotten to where I hate it here) love the mountains. we actually did a few dayhikes in the NC, SC area last year. I will check out North GA. I had heard of Amicalola, but not been there yet.
We had thought of trying the FL trail in the fall or winter, when the heat won't kill us, and the bugs won't carry us away.

Kerosene
06-28-2010, 11:46
My newbie 20-yo daughter and I hiked from Standing Indian to Winding Stair Gap just before Memorial Day. I was surprised at how easy the hike was, and she had a great time, despite not being in very good shape.

You could get a shuttle from Franklin all the way up to Deep Gap, or you could park at Standing Indian Campground and climb up one of the blue-blazed trails to the AT. I nominate the 4-mile long Kimsey Creek Trail on a warm day for all its dipping options.

We overnighted at Carter Gap Shelter, about 8.5 miles from Deep Gap. From there it was an easy 6.5 mile afternoon to Big Spring Shelter. If you park at Standing Indian Campground, then you could get out at Rock Gap Shelter and walk along the road back to your car.

bigmac_in
06-28-2010, 12:02
My newbie 20-yo daughter and I hiked from Standing Indian to Winding Stair Gap just before Memorial Day. I was surprised at how easy the hike was, and she had a great time, despite not being in very good shape.

You could get a shuttle from Franklin all the way up to Deep Gap, or you could park at Standing Indian Campground and climb up one of the blue-blazed trails to the AT. I nominate the 4-mile long Kimsey Creek Trail on a warm day for all its dipping options.

We overnighted at Carter Gap Shelter, about 8.5 miles from Deep Gap. From there it was an easy 6.5 mile afternoon to Big Spring Shelter. If you park at Standing Indian Campground, then you could get out at Rock Gap Shelter and walk along the road back to your car.

This is an excellent suggestion for your first backpacking trip!

sbhikes
06-28-2010, 12:08
North Georgia is beautiful. Even being someone out west who can hike in the Sierras, I thought it was lovely in Georgia. I don't think you can go wrong.