PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for Northbound hiking starting in the middle of February

louise
06-28-2010, 23:12
I'm planning on starting the AT mid-February. I'm not one-hundred percent sure what I should wear. I definitely want something light, warm, and non-restricting. I'm probably going to use the Patagonia Capilene 3 for as my baselayer. On top of that, I'll probably wear a jacket similar to Patagonia nanofleece with some kind of light, packable rain jacket. However, I'm not one-hundred percent sure what I should do pants wise. I'll probably have some packable rain pants, but I don't think I'll need to wear those the whole time. Also, for any one who has hiked the AT this early in the season, I'm planning on sticking to some Salomon trail runners instead of a heavy boot. I'm a very small person, and I'm planning on packing very light. Thanks!

Blue Jay
06-29-2010, 08:45
The most important thing is to test your sleeping/shelter system prior to your hike. By layering you can stay warm during the day because you're body is working and producing heat. Sleep out at temperatures as cold as possible, at altitude, near your home prior to your hike. Practice setting up as fast as possible until you can do it in your sleep. If you are dry and warm enough to sleep in bad conditions you will be fine.:welcome

The Solemates
06-29-2010, 09:38
wicking tee shirt
long underwear top
lightweight microfleece
heavy fleece jacket
rain jacket

long underwear bottom
convertible pants
rain pants

socks
extra pair of socks
pair of fleece socks

windproof fleece hat
bandana

heavyweight convertible glove/mittens

midweight waterproof boot

0-degree sleeping bag
z-rest

This is what I took on my hike. I started 1 February. We had many nights below 0-degrees. hope that helps.

louise
06-30-2010, 20:49
Thank you so much!