PDA

View Full Version : AMC Huts Wells

jmcdonou
06-29-2010, 09:31
Does anyone know who drilled the wells for the huts in the Whites? I am researching drilling and thought they would be some knowledgeable folks to get in touch with.

Thanks
Joe

Old Hillwalker
06-29-2010, 09:46
Try this: Call 1-800-372-1758 (AMC) and ask to be connected to Joe Bendis (AMC Construction Crew). He should be able to tell you. As you probably surmise, they used a helicoptered in, portable drill rig. The most exotic well was the one at Carter Notch where it was drilled horizontally into the mountain side.

fredmugs
06-29-2010, 11:26
I know this is off topic but can hikers not staying at the huts take breaks there, get water, etc? I plan on hiking through the Whites in two weeks.

Ender
06-29-2010, 11:31
In the past you could stop, rest, and get water. I can't imagine that's changed.

Old Hillwalker
06-29-2010, 15:58
Try this: Call 1-800-372-1758 (AMC) and ask to be connected to Joe Bendis (AMC Construction Crew). He should be able to tell you. As you probably surmise, they used a helicoptered in, portable drill rig. The most exotic well was the one at Carter Notch where it was drilled horizontally into the mountain side.

Meant to say Tom Bendis. Joe was the chopper pilot. Sorry, at my age I needed to initiate a flashback to recover the correct memory. If it wasn't for flashbacks I wouldn't have any memories at all.

summitnh
06-29-2010, 16:18
I know this is off topic but can hikers not staying at the huts take breaks there, get water, etc? I plan on hiking through the Whites in two weeks.

Definitely Yes, They usually have left over baked good for sale too.

walkin' wally
06-29-2010, 17:59
Does anyone know who drilled the wells for the huts in the Whites? I am researching drilling and thought they would be some knowledgeable folks to get in touch with.

Hopefully not BP

jmcdonou
06-29-2010, 23:04
Thanks Hillwalker. I sent AMC an email but those names will definitely come in handy when I make the call.

Wally, you cracked me up. Ya I'm looking to drill for H20 nothing else...don't even want to get mixed up with all of that mess.

I loved the huts on my thru-hike stopped in for an incredible sandwich and it was nice to shed those pesky ounces off my back by shipping my filter ahead.

peakbagger
06-30-2010, 07:38
You might want to contact the helicopter firm

http://www.jbihelicopters.com/services.php

I was using his services about the same time to move a big air conditionng unit and remember him discussing it. He had done a lot of work supporting a company with a custom drilling rig that was built so that it could be broken down into units that could be transported via helicopter. Joe Benson is (or was) the owner and chief pilot

Old Hillwalker
06-30-2010, 20:33
You might want to contact the helicopter firm

http://www.jbihelicopters.com/services.php

I was using his services about the same time to move a big air conditionng unit and remember him discussing it. He had done a lot of work supporting a company with a custom drilling rig that was built so that it could be broken down into units that could be transported via helicopter. Joe Benson is (or was) the owner and chief pilot

Joe Benson or Brigham. I think it's Joe Brigham. At least that's who it was the last time I was involved in AMC Heli hut re-supply work. A very loong time ago. (1985 when I worked with the AMC Construction Crew as a volunteer)

peakbagger
07-01-2010, 09:45
You are right Brigham, not Benson, it has been a few years!

shelterbuilder
07-01-2010, 22:03

Ah, now you've got me curious! Was the portable rig a "Deep Rock" unit? How were the well locations determined - dowsing or more "scientific" methods?