PDA

View Full Version : No water

Liv2Ride
06-29-2010, 14:34
Be aware that at the moment there is no reliable water source going north bound on the BMT from the middle of Hemp Top Mountain and all the way across Big Frog Mountain. Did 3 sections over the weekend and the only good water is all the way down at Rough Creek. In between Hemp Top and Big Frog is Double Springs Gap but there was no water there so we had to keep going another 5 plus miles to get to Rough Creek. Apparantly, that part of Tennessee isn't getting the same amount of rain that we've had in Georgia.

Tipi Walter
06-29-2010, 14:37
Thanks for the update. It's getting dry around here. I wish I knew that section better, I bet if you go off the trail a couple hundred yards down from a gap you may find a small spring or water seep. But this takes a lot of time to explore.

Liv2Ride
06-29-2010, 14:59
Thanks for the update. It's getting dry around here. I wish I knew that section better, I bet if you go off the trail a couple hundred yards down from a gap you may find a small spring or water seep. But this takes a lot of time to explore.

Yep, looking at the map and GPS it showed multiple streams here and there but when we tried to scout out one stream after topping Big Frog it was around 200 ft below and off of the trail. Not worth the fall to say the least. So...onward we went. Probably should have just stayed down at Double Springs looking farther out for water rather than taking Big Frog after having hiked more than 6 miles. It was a long hard, hot waterless day to say the least. Thank God Rough Creek was flowing good but not over flowing. I've been warned about folks having to wait out a day for Rough Creek to drop low enough to cross after a rain. So, it all worked out I just wish that Double Springs Gap wouldn't have been dry.