PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a Press-Bot?

LeafAndStar
06-29-2010, 23:10
I remember seeing this nifty little device a few years ago called the Press-Bot, which was a french press that fit inside a standard widemouth nalgene bottle. I'm a bit of a coffee fiend, and stubborn about using a french press at home. Well, I decided that it was time to finally buy one, and everywhere I can find that sells them is out of stock, and the manufacturer's site has their store down for who knows how long redesigning it.

Here's the site if you've never heard of it http://www.venturedesignworks.com/pressbot.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Franco
06-30-2010, 00:18
For 1 or 2 maybe this is a better solution.
http://www.rei.com/product/761283
Probably easier to clean too .
Franco

Mountain Wildman
06-30-2010, 00:28
Try their 800 number and ask them.

1 800 819 7935

LeafAndStar
06-30-2010, 00:47
Well, got an email back from them. Apparently it's no longer in production despite being still listed as a current product on their website. So looks like I'm in the market for another light weight and preferably small and easy to pack method of making coffee.

Does anyone have any experience with the H2jO! by GSI? I'm getting mixed reviews on it. Seems like a love it or hate it kind of thing. I'm also open to other suggestions as well since I can't be the only caffeine addict on this forum to ever want a cup of joe when I crawl out of my tent =)

Mountain Wildman
06-30-2010, 01:01
I bought and tried the MSR MugMate over Memorial Day weekend and was not happy with the results, The coffee seeps through too quickly and does not capture enough coffee from the grounds, I put more grounds in and put it back in my Snow Peak 600 and swooshed it around, Kind of like a tea bag. The coffee was a little better but still not as good as from my coffee maker at home and the coffee was luke warm from the extra sitting time, even though my mug is double wall. I ordered a GSI French Press and tried it at home, It was better than the mugmate filter but it calls for coarse ground coffee and I used regular drip coffee, may not have been coarse enough and I still have to get the formula right. I will work on that at my campsite over this weekend and maybe try the mugmate again using a coffee filter with it.
The one that works best will be added to my pack and the other will be posted here for sale. The GSI Press is a little heavy at 10 oz. but I will gladly carry the weight if it gets me a good cup of coffee each morning, My Thru-Hike is next year and I'd rather have coffee in the morning than food. So, No, you are not alone in your addiction.:sun

10-K
06-30-2010, 09:17
I'm a coffeeholic, no doubt. I've tried all kinds of stuff and always go back to Folgers Singles.

couscous
06-30-2010, 09:28
Another option is the Starbucks VIA ready-brew packets (Columbia or Italian Roast). My daughter got me some for Christmas to use while backpacking.

sherrill
06-30-2010, 09:49
I'm a coffeeholic, no doubt. I've tried all kinds of stuff and always go back to Folgers Singles.

Same here, although I want to try the Starbucks as I've heard rave things about it.

Oklahoma
06-30-2010, 11:26
I used the press bot on a few trips it makes good coffee but it is fragile. Mine began to fall apart after 200 miles. I have now switched to the GSI H2jo at REI. It is not a press it is a filter that screws onto your widemouth. It works great you can leave it on your bottle or stow it in your pack.

greentick
07-05-2010, 20:00
Press coffee is so good in the field that I never have an issue with finding someone else in my section hiking group to carry it.

I have the press bot somewhere but haven't used it in a while.

I have also used the jetboil press with great results.

The starbuck via is nice but pricy.

With the presses I would get the beans ground at the grocery store coffee aisle, the machine has a "press" setting that makes a courser grind. You still get that nice sludge in the bottom.

HedgePig
07-05-2010, 20:40
It might be too wide even for a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle but have you looked at an Aeropress? It's similar to a Franch press but different. They make very good coffee and are light too.

I'm sure they are available at many places but if you are interested in coffee, check out sweetmarias.com They sell the Aeropress and a lot more besides. (No I don't have shares, I'm just a very happy customer)

LeafAndStar
07-05-2010, 22:51
oh I always grind my own Greentick... HAS to be a burr grinder though, blade grinders are just not up to par. Like I said, coffee addict =)

I'm more a preparation snob than a bean snob though. You can make the cheapest beans from Walmart taste as good as any coffee shop's if you just handle them right. Well, close enough anyway.

I'll have to look into the Aeropress though. I've heard of them but haven't played with one yet. Next time I get some cash I'm gonna grab an H2JO since they're so cheap just to experiment. I'll let you all know how it works out for me.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions! I've gotta tell ya, it's forums like this that get me over my distaste with past forum experiences. You guys are great.

heckdog
10-07-2013, 11:22
A Grand Canyon backpacking guide here in Flagstaff is working to bring these back!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/briansiebert/press-bot-a-high-quality-french-press-in-a-nalgene (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/briansiebert/press-bot-a-high-quality-french-press-in-a-nalgene)

greentick
10-07-2013, 15:28
ha! didn't notice this was a resurrected thread until I saw I already posted... 3yrs ago!

Starbucks via is just too convenient and with minimal residue. If I'm not worried about weight/space I'll do one of the presses - superior taste. Good to see that it might make a comeback.