PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic/Trail Angels

Glenn
11-08-2004, 13:38
I've been reading the archives and see some people seem to have a negative attitude twords "trail angels". What are the turn-offs ? My wife and I give fruit and give FREE rides to town. We want no credit and want to be thought of as a good part of the trail .

Blue Jay
11-08-2004, 13:55
I've been reading the archives and see some people seem to have a negative attitude twords "trail angels". What are the turn-offs ? My wife and I give fruit and give FREE rides to town. We want no credit and want to be thought of as a good part of the trail .

There are no turn-offs. Some people just feel bad when others are feeling good. Ignore them and have fun.

Jaybird
11-08-2004, 14:55

Yo Glenn

as for this section-hiker....continue on with your "good works".........

loads of us appreciate it! THANK YOU! :D

Flash Hand
11-08-2004, 15:25
Ignore them... I found that trail angels are new friends. The hikers who don't want any help from trail angels, will just pass. You will expect to hear some negative opinions, but don't forget that majority of positive opinions are on your side. I had about 3 trail magics, and met several trail angels and never forget about them.. They made the huge difference for the A.T. community.

Flash Hand :jump

Rain Man
11-08-2004, 15:31
.... We want no credit and want to be thought of as a good part of the trail .

Well, sorry, but you get credit anyway! :)

Trail angels are a GREAT part of the trail, IMHO. Keep up the good work.
:sun
Rain Man

A-Train
11-08-2004, 16:52
the arguement against trail magic is generally held by folks who hiked many years ago or "back in the good ole' days" when there was less public attention and awareness. Things were harder then, so it turns some off to see hikers getting lots of free handouts now a days.

The fact is that hikers still have to walk from georgia to maine. The mountains are just as steep as they used to be. There is A LOT of trail magic now, sometimes too much IMO. But the fact is, you can't blame the hikers for taking. I mean really, who is gonna say no to a cold drink or a piece of fruit? :)

Giving rides is a great way to give back. Keep it up!

Doctari
11-08-2004, 20:41
I am usually so happy to see someone with food/drink I didn't carry I can't imagine being mad about them being there.

If someone gets mad at you, calmly take the food/drink back and bid them good day. Then give to someone who apreciates it. :clap

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doctari.

stupe
11-08-2004, 20:58
Some people are jerky. Keep up the trail magic.

kevin
11-08-2004, 21:12
I've heard the argument against trail magic before, but never really understood it. If someone think trail magic interferes with the purity of their experience, they are under no obligation to participate. For me, those individuals that offered me a ride into town or back to the trail were part of the trail experience that make it more than a hike, but "magical" experience. Seeing people go out of there way to help others for nothing more than a thank you is something that makes the trail community special.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2004, 21:17
"Trail angels" are fine as long as they are angels to ALL hikers not just thru-hikers.

smokymtnsteve
11-08-2004, 21:31
I enjoy trail devils much more ;)

orangebug
11-08-2004, 21:46
Some cultures treat all strangers/pilgrims as if they are angels. I suspect that we call "trail angels" those who only seek to be the hospitable hosts of angels. Make sure you return the hospitality in the future.