PDA

View Full Version : Gsmnp

maintenance man
11-08-2004, 13:54
Ok, Charlie's Bunion and Cammerer are things I shouldn't just pass by when going through the Smokeys. Anything else?

chris
11-08-2004, 14:06
The are the only two close things to the AT in the Smokys, although technically Clingmans is off the AT as well. Personally, I'd deviate from the AT and head over to Gregory Bald in the south, but that is a bit further off that most people want to go, and purists might cringe at the suggestion. However, before Fontana Dam was built, the AT did, I believe, go over Gregory Bald.

More over, if I was going through during the spring time (say, April), I would not take the AT at all, or at least only do small parts of it. There are other, very nice (but harder) routes across the Smokys where you could hike without the crowds.

Jaybird
11-08-2004, 14:22
Ok, Charlie's Bunion and Cammerer are things I shouldn't just pass by when going through the Smokeys. Anything else?

there's OVER 900 miles of hiking trails thru the Great Smoky Mtns Natl Park (GSMNP)...& too many highlights & waterfalls to miss....wander off the trail a bit...enjoy the scenery! :D

MisterSweetie
11-08-2004, 16:10
anyone have suggestions on maps for GSMNP? Not talking about trail maps, but driving maps. When I put in "clingman's dome" for example in my online map source of choice, it gives me the address of GSMNP, but not Clingman's. So I don't really know a good way to get driving times to specific locations in the park. Any suggestions?

The Solemates
11-08-2004, 16:16
I live in Memphis, not too far from Oxford. It takes me about 6 hrs to get to Gatlinburg via 40. From there, its 30 min or so to Newfound Gap on 441. I think the northern route (40) would still be quicker than the southern route (78-20-85) even if you were coming from Oxford.

hope this helps...

MisterSweetie
11-08-2004, 16:30
I live in Memphis, not too far from Oxford. It takes me about 6 hrs to get to Gatlinburg via 40. From there, its 30 min or so to Newfound Gap on 441. I think the northern route (40) would still be quicker than the southern route (78-20-85) even if you were coming from Oxford.

hope this helps...

Ha, yeah, it does help, but I was thinking on a much smaller scale than 8 hours. For example, if I'm in Knoxville, I wonder how long it'd take to get to Clingmans, or Cades Cove, or any specific junction on the AT for that matter. What I mean is that I can't get something like Mappoint to give me good driving times, from a place close like Knoxville or Gatlinburg, or even Maryville, which seems to be directly next to the park.

But thank for the help, in any event.

And Memphis, eh? You take hiking trips often? I've been looking for someone to hike with...

SGT Rock
11-08-2004, 16:54
Try www.expedia.com. They worked fine for me.

The Solemates
11-08-2004, 17:04
I always use Mapquest. Yea, we try to do as much hiking as possible. We just moved to Memphis this August. Before then, we were only 30 minutes from all kinds of stuff in the northwest corner of SC. Now we have to drive a bit further, but its worth it. We went to northeast MS for some dayhiking this past weekend. I am planning a week-long trip around Christmas.

Lilred
11-08-2004, 17:36
Ha, yeah, it does help, but I was thinking on a much smaller scale than 8 hours. For example, if I'm in Knoxville, I wonder how long it'd take to get to Clingmans, or Cades Cove, or any specific junction on the AT for that matter. What I mean is that I can't get something like Mappoint to give me good driving times, from a place close like Knoxville or Gatlinburg, or even Maryville, which seems to be directly next to the park.

And Memphis, eh? You take hiking trips often? I've been looking for someone to hike with...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtype=address&cat=&address=&city=Townsend&state=TN&zipcode=&search=%20%20Search%20%20&searchtab=address

Here is a map from mapquest that will take you to Townsend Tn, which is right at the edge of GSMNP and about seven miles from Cades Cove. You DO NOT want to go to Knoxville. If you're coming straight out from Hwy. 40, get off at the Lenoir City exit, Hwy 321 and follow that thru Maryville. There's a real nice campground in Townsend called Tuckaleechee Campground, just a few miles from the Park. HOpe this helps

chris
11-08-2004, 17:55

I've driven through Knoxville to various points in the Smokys many times. These are my seat-o-the-pants times.

From Knoxville to Sugarlands will take you anywhere between 1 hour and 3 hours, depending on what traffic is like in Pigeon Forge and Seviersville. From Sugarlands (one of the main info centers in the park), it will take you anywhere between 20 minutes and 1 hour to make NewfoundGap, depending on how hard you drive and how many idiots there are on the road. From NewfoundGap, it is about 15 minutes up to Clingmans Dome. NewfoundGap is the only junction you can drive to, except the ends at Fontana and Davenport Gap. Both of these will take some time.

The trailhead at Abrams creek is the closest one to you and is a good place to access Gregory Bald. There are some river fords, however. From Knoxville to Abrams is under an hour, again depending on how fast you drive. Traffic is usually minimal. Note that if you try to drive around the park on 129 you have to go over Deal's Gap. This is a very, very twisty road and it will take you some time to get to Fontana (or Twentymile).

I'd stay away from Cades Cove if I were you. If you do want to experience it (and some of my favorites trail are in this area), hike through on a loop.

Doctari
11-08-2004, 20:32
anyone have suggestions on maps for GSMNP? Not talking about trail maps, but driving maps. When I put in "clingman's dome" for example in my online map source of choice, it gives me the address of GSMNP, but not Clingman's. So I don't really know a good way to get driving times to specific locations in the park. Any suggestions?

I am not surprised the dome isn't on the driving maps, cant get to it by car. Clingmans dome is a (steep) 1/2 mile hike from the parking lot. If comming from Gatlinburg: go to Newfound gap & take a Right. If from Cherokee: Newfound gap & take a Left. If on wheels, that am the only way there. Newfound gap is about 20 - 25 miles from either town. could take you anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending on how many "winabagos" you get behind (2 hrs). True stories: Or 90 year olds who do 6 MPH (finally passed him after 1 hr), or people who REFUSE to use the pull offs & stop at every blind curve, blocking traffic (after 45 min I caught up, on foot, asked him to pull over, he was shocked), etc.
Good lord do I HATE tourons!!!! :mad:

So, you need to get to either the Gatlinburg side or The Cherokee side & head into the park. It's a straight shot from there to the gap, then follow the signs.

Doctari.

Tn Bandit
11-08-2004, 20:41
Depending on the season when you visit the park can make a difference of the trails you choose. Right now you can hit any trail any day without to much traffic. In the spring/summer out lying areas of the park is suggested such as Cosby, Greenbrier or Big Creek all easily reached from I-40. Great hikes from these locations such as Mt. Cammerer from Cosby, Ramsey Cascades from Greenbrier and Mt. Sterling from Big Creek. The backcountry campsites are often crowded in Cosby during peak but not usually in Greenbrier or Big Creek, in fact a great campsite at the base of the firetower at Mt Sterling is the highest non-shelter campsite in the park near 6K! Here are a few links of hikes in the park:
http://www.localhikes.com/GetHikes.asp?Search=1&QuickSearch=Yes&QuickSearchType=1
http://www.localhikes.com/GetHikes.asp?Search=1&QuickSearch=Yes&QuickSearchType=8
enjoy the Smokies,
Tn Bandit
SMHC
www.localhikes.com

SGT Rock
11-08-2004, 21:27
To save time, getting into the park, do not go therough Gatlinburg, use the Maryville-townsend method of entry. you could go towards Cades Cove and hit the Bote mountain trail to get to the AT.

Lilred
11-08-2004, 23:00
To save time, getting into the park, do not go therough Gatlinburg, use the Maryville-townsend method of entry. you could go towards Cades Cove and hit the Bote mountain trail to get to the AT.

If you want to see Cades Cove, you might want to go on a Wednesday or Sunday morning. They close the cove to cars and you can rent a bike and ride the 11 mile road loop. It is by far the best way to see Cades Cove. It is closed to cars till 10 A.M. I believe. You can rent bikes at the campground. Also, there is another trail that leads out of the campground to the AT. The Spence Field trail, or something like that. Spencer Fields?? anyone know the right name??? Cades Cove is one of my favorite spots in the Smokies, if you can avoid the tourists.

Lilred
11-08-2004, 23:05
I am not surprised the dome isn't on the driving maps, cant get to it by car. Clingmans dome is a (steep) 1/2 mile hike from the parking lot. If comming from Gatlinburg: go to Newfound gap & take a Right. If from Cherokee: Newfound gap & take a Left. If on wheels, that am the only way there. Newfound gap is about 20 - 25 miles from either town. could take you anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending on how many "winabagos" you get behind (2 hrs). True stories: Or 90 year olds who do 6 MPH (finally passed him after 1 hr), or people who REFUSE to use the pull offs & stop at every blind curve, blocking traffic (after 45 min I caught up, on foot, asked him to pull over, he was shocked), etc.
Good lord do I HATE tourons!!!! :mad:

So, you need to get to either the Gatlinburg side or The Cherokee side & head into the park. It's a straight shot from there to the gap, then follow the signs.

Doctari.

They close the road to Clingmans dome sometime in the winter, if it's not closed already, it doesn't reopen till the first of April sometime.

orangebug
11-08-2004, 23:14
It was 3 years ago, but I went to a conference at Tremont and was able to drive through Cades Cove in the early daylight as the deer wandered about. The fog was something that I lack words to describe. The solitude (late February just before a blizzard) was a holy experience.

Maryville and Townsend are the only ways into the Park that allow you sanity. Clingman's Dome road should close pretty soon, but you should check the GSMNP website. The lands in the coves and valleys are very different from our experiences on the ridgeland of the AT.

Enjoy this treasure.

Groucho
11-08-2004, 23:53
Also, there is another trail that leads out of the campground to the AT. The Spence Field trail, or something like that. Spencer Fields?? anyone know the right name??? Cades Cove is one of my favorite spots in the Smokies, if you can avoid the tourists.

From the campground or picnic area (can't remember which) the Anthony Creek trail leads 3.2 mi. to the Bote Mountain trail; a right on this trail leads 1.7 mi. to Spence Field. About 2700' of climb. Smokies Map (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/national_parks/great_smoky_trail99.pdf) pdf.

SGT Rock
11-09-2004, 00:33
Clingman's Dome Road closes 1 Dec. Bote Mountain trail is a little before Cades Cove on the Road and takes you up to Spence Field Shelter.