PDA

View Full Version : Raven rock

HIKER7s
07-01-2010, 06:05
Has Raven Rock replaced DR yet????

bronco
07-01-2010, 17:06
the shelter is not done but the privy is in and there is nice tent sights at the new shelter area .

HIKER7s
07-02-2010, 05:36
the shelter is not done but the privy is in and there is nice tent sights at the new shelter area .

Is the trail cut into it on the AT now? Or, is it still a blue-blaze.

bronco
07-02-2010, 07:53
when you reach the drc sign going North look to your left, you will see an old small fire road with trees across it , just walk up the road or trail a little bit behind the hill to the right you will see the shelter.

HIKER7s
07-02-2010, 08:10
Thats a go, sounds good. thanks

HIKER7s
07-02-2010, 08:16
are there fire pit or equiv at the tent sites?

mad4scrapping
08-23-2010, 17:34
we were just there and could not find the new shelter. there were no signs. we ended up at the devils racecourse shelter.

english
11-24-2010, 23:48
I believe the Raven Rock shelter is complete now, the dedication was on 13th of November 2010, I haven't had the chance to stay there yet.

veteran
11-28-2010, 10:00
From the ATC:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.5399815/k.A01D/Trail_Updates/apps/nl/newsletter2.asp

english
11-28-2010, 10:42
Weather permitting, my daughter & I will hike up there this coming weekend and post a few photo's.

IronGutsTommy
01-13-2011, 14:02
i stayed at ravens rock.. my god what a beautiful shelter.. still has that new varnish smell.. no graffitti yet either. was there just before thanksgiving, 2010. absolutely beautiful. devils racecourse was still nearby and wasnt dismantled yet, and raven rock visiters will still need to hike down the blue blazed devils trail to get to a spring, but raven rocks an amazing shelter with ample tent sites, room for ten or so (in shelter), and three fire pits, one on either side of shelter with three benches for each, and a third in front of shelter. I can only imgaine what a hit itll be with trail weary thru hikers in 2011, the site can easily accomodate around 25 or 30 hikers. a must-stop

veteran
01-24-2011, 23:33
PATC Construction Crew at Raven Rock Shelter

mad4scrapping
01-25-2011, 20:59
Maryland has some of the nicest shelters I've seen!

asciibaron
02-08-2011, 11:30
i stayed at Raven Rock at the end of August. the layout is nice - i really like the covered picnic table and the benches around the fire pit. the ladder up to the loft was easy to use and it clearly was well thought out. the acorns hitting the roof were a bit of an issue - awoke at 3am to the loudest bang i've ever heard. just needs a swing to be my home away from home :)

water will be a constant issue since the shelter is on top of the ridge. that fact will also keep it nice for a long time, too steep and too far for the party crowd (i hope).

it is the easily the nicest shelter in Maryland. NOBO's should fill up water bottles for dinner/breakfast at the road crossing prior to the climb to keep from having to go back down the ridge at the shelter for water. you can get more water at Pen-mar park as you head north.

IronGutsTommy
12-08-2011, 20:27
i agree with asciibaron, on both water sources. the spring down from the shelters a steep walk, and the only thing worse than going back up that hill at the end of a long day is juicing your legs first thing in the morning.

Berserker
01-12-2012, 13:15
I was at this shelter last November. Lovely looking shelter as others have commented. I stayed in the tenting area. There are 5 tent pads, and a separate fire pit for the tenting area. There is also a separate picnic bench for the tenting area. Water as noted is down the ridge near the old Devils Racecourse Shelter, and is a good huff. The night I was there was brisk, but someone (caretaker?) had left split logs there for fires. The occupants of the shelter and I shared the wood. Had a nice fire that made the evening much more enjoyable.

dovecote
05-13-2012, 13:34
Was there on 5/7/2012. One described the shelter in the trail register as a "magnificant mouseless Maryland mansion". In addition to the amenities listed in previous posts it has bear cables to hang food.