PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mountain Area hike.

cdbrizzle
07-01-2010, 11:11
Hey guys. I am taking my brother for his first "backpacking" trip next week to Roan Mountain, just a one nighter. I had planned on parking at Carvers Gap and hiking to Roan High Knob and camping for the night. The next day we would hike out and towards Jane/Grassy Bald.
However, I am beginning to think that the Friday hike would be to short. Should I hike the balds instead and camp on the balds? What's a good one nighter at Roan?

Thanks!

10-K
07-01-2010, 11:31
Carver's Gap to Indian Grave Gap maybe....

cdbrizzle
07-01-2010, 11:33
camp at Indian Grave?

10-K
07-01-2010, 11:37
It's about 25 miles from Carver's Gap to Indian Grave Gap which is probably enough mileage for a 1 night trip for someone who has never been backpacking.

So.... you most likely wouldn't make it to Indian Grave Gap to camp.

But there are some incredibly good campsites (if you tent) a few miles on either side of Beauty Spot which you might get close to in 1 day.

cdbrizzle
07-01-2010, 11:42
what about hiking the balds until we need to stop and tent off the trail, if we make it to overmountain then great!?

10-K
07-01-2010, 11:52
I guess the biggest factor would be the weather... I wouldn't want to be tenting on a bald during a thunderstorm.

Carver's Gap to the Overmountain shelter is around 5 miles. You could hike Carver's Gap to 19E - about 15 or so miles.

Tennessee Viking
07-01-2010, 11:53
Hey guys. I am taking my brother for his first "backpacking" trip next week to Roan Mountain, just a one nighter. I had planned on parking at Carvers Gap and hiking to Roan High Knob and camping for the night. The next day we would hike out and towards Jane/Grassy Bald.
However, I am beginning to think that the Friday hike would be to short. Should I hike the balds instead and camp on the balds? What's a good one nighter at Roan?

Thanks!I agree with 10-K. That area has been hit by lightning and thunderstorms recently. So check your weather.

The traditional one nighter on Roan is Carvers to 19E. Usually camping at the barn or near Bradley Gap. You can call Mtn Harbor Inn for a shuttle and parking.

If you want to camp on the balds, go up to Grassy Ridge Bald. Continue past the Peake rock memorial at the summit. There is a small campsite before the trail disappears into the rodos. Reports say there is a small spring there, or you can head back to the AT and water up the sidehill springs after the trail splits.

Right now there are a few things going on at Roan.
-The Gardens and Cloudland will be closing after the 7th for renovations.
-The Baa-tany Project is going on Jane Bald/Grassy Ridge split. Most of the area beside the trail has been fenced off for the goats.
-There will probably be a crowd of people at the barn on the July 4th weekend. A lot people will be tented from the barn to the Humps to get views of the area fireworks.
-Konnarock Crew will be camping at the barn on July 8-12. So its going to be tent city there for the weekend.

cdbrizzle
07-01-2010, 12:04
thanks viking, i assume I could make an out and back trip to Grassy Ridge, hiking back to the car the next day. thanks for the info on the crowd.

Tennessee Viking
07-01-2010, 16:27
thanks viking, i assume I could make an out and back trip to Grassy Ridge, hiking back to the car the next day. thanks for the info on the crowd.
Also want to add...there is a very overgrown trail past the campsite on Grassy Ridge. You really have to push through the rodos, laurels, and some briars. I recommend wear some long pants. At the very end is a set of cliffs. The view is worth the bushwhack.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26055&catid=member&imageuser=12416

The cliff is at the very left.

waywardfool
07-01-2010, 18:04
The traditional one nighter on Roan is Carvers to 19E. Usually camping at the barn or near Bradley Gap. You can call Mtn Harbor Inn for a shuttle and parking.

x2....great easy weekend hike, with the best views.

bus
07-02-2010, 12:56
I vote the Carvers to 19E hike. Stay at the Barn, or if not, the woods just before Bradley Gap proper. If you make it to Bradley Gap you may as well walk over Big Hump and on to 19E.

The trail between Big Hump and Doll Flats can be rocky in places. So take that into consideration if it is rainy. It was slippery for us a few weeks back. Mountain Harbour can shuttle you back. And ask them for directions to the $10 unlimited topping pizza place.

You mentioned that it is his first trip. So take your time and do the side trip to Grassy Ridge. Trust me and TN Viking on this. Also, a good hike could be start on top of Raons, hike to the barn and backout the next day-making sure to do the side trail mentioned above.

The Konnarock Crew were there when we were there. If anything it was a bonus to the trip.

Uncle Cranky
07-05-2010, 22:56
I did this hike a few years back with my two older sons (23 & 19 at the time). The vistas alone make this a great way to introduce someone to backpacking as long as you carry light and don't attempt to make it a death march.
My boys and I did this as an overnighter in 24 hours, Starting at 3pm and ending at 3pm the next day but I must say we were averaging about 2 1/4 miles/hr your speed might be different.
The easiest direction, with the least elevation gain, is from south to north. We parked a return car at 19E and were dropped off at the parking lot on Roan Mountain at the end of toll road #130 (up the hill west of Carvers Gap). Then hiked down the mountain into Carvers Gap. The bald areas are the two miles east of Carvers Gap and 3 miles or so over the Humps on the west end of the hike before descending the 4 or so miles to 19E.
Because of our late start we made a dry camp on the ridge about a 1/2 mile east of the Stan Murray Shelter (the water at Stan Murray Shelter is a ways down the steep ridge on the right side of the trail to the front of the shelter).
There is a very good water source on the trail to the Overmountain Shelter, and a really nice grassy camping spot with great valley views just before reaching the shelter.
Be advised:
If you do an out and back from Carvers Gap to the Overmountain Shelter you will face a 1200'+ elevation gain in about 1.5 miles to reach the Grassy Ridge summit on your return.
If you attempt this hike going north to south you will be climbing a steep and rocky 2500'+ elevation gain in the first 5.5 miles...challenging but not the best way to introduce someone to backpacking unless they have a death wish.
On the plus side, if the weather is clear, you'll have great views for the next 3 miles!

bflorac
07-05-2010, 23:22
Or start at 19E and take the short but steep hike up to Dolls flats. Nice place to camp and makes the first day easier. Then start early and hike a longer distance over the balds to Carvers Gap taking in views in the afternoon (and hope for no storms)

bus
07-06-2010, 12:07
I can't wait to go back and hike this area. Stan had it right. This section is awesome!

Tipi Walter
07-06-2010, 12:38
Here's a fotog you guys might enjoy from Roan Mt back in '89. It shows my backpacking companion Lindal Newbius atop Roan. Check out how I put the tentpoles in and missed a sleeve. Distracted by a beautiful woman. The tent? A nice NF Westwind.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b401C2NJk-Y/SX74W2M7EYI/AAAAAAAAAIQ/zi2Te3kLHdo/4444444.jpg

10-K
07-06-2010, 13:44
Tipi, I think that's the first picture I've seen you put up that didn't have snow or ice in it... :)

Tipi Walter
07-06-2010, 13:56
Tipi, I think that's the first picture I've seen you put up that didn't have snow or ice in it... :)

Dang it, I think you're right.