PDA

View Full Version : Florida to GSMNP

JimmyC
07-01-2010, 13:07
Hi everyone. I am planning on coming up to the Smoky Mountain National Park by bus from Florida in a few weeks. I am a hiker and plan to hike inside GSMNP during my stay.

I have been reading this forum for information.

It looks to me like Asheville, NC has the closest Greyhound Bus stop to the Park. Is this true?

Iam looking to find information on perhaps a shuttle that runs from Asheville to the park, or do people just walk from Asheville into the park?

Thanks for the info:cool:

Grinder
07-01-2010, 13:15
there is a company called
cherokee Transportation 828-497-5296 which runs between Cherokee and Gatlinberg. I wouldn't be surprised if they cover Ashville too.

Call and see. You would want to get to Newfound Gap. the AT crosses 441 there.

Doctari
07-01-2010, 17:41
CALL Greyhound, some of their stops / services aren't on the web site. The booking person may be able to get you closer. IF you can get to Pigeon Forge, there are (in season) hourly shuttles from / to Gatlinburg. From light #10 in Gatlinburg, it's a short walk to Sugarlands visitor ctr on a running trail. Ask at the Happy Hiker near light #10 (if they have re opened, see thread.) for directions. There is at least one other trail with a trailhead near the visitors ctr.

Praha4
07-01-2010, 17:53
Asheville is closest Greyhound terminal to Cherokee and the NC side of the Park. Knoxville is closest to the TN side. I caught the Greyhound in Johnson City, TN, the closest terminal to Erwin, TN, and the bus came thru Knoxville and Asheville on the way back to FL.

JimmyC
07-02-2010, 17:53
Thanks for the information everyone. I am researching the suggestions and information above.

I found Waynesville, NC on the Greyhound Bus schedule.

Waynesville looks very close- within 15 miles awayo the GSMNP. Anyone use that bus stop and get to the park from there?

Here is the map of the Waynesville Bus Stop

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS258US258&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=waynesville,+north+carolina+greyhound+bus&fb=1&gl=us&hq=greyhound+bus&hnear=Waynesville,+NC&cid=0,0,8236503294919894845&ei=QV8uTMinDMP78Aaam6yUAw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQnwIwAA

Thanks, Jimmy