PDA

View Full Version : Sugarloaf Mountain-NC

Gray Blazer
07-01-2010, 22:31
From Devils Fork Gap to Sugarloaf Gap-Is there a trail to the summit of Sugarloaf? Is there a place to camp up there? Is there a view?

Thanks in advance. Peace Out .........GB

The Cleaner
07-01-2010, 22:41
Maybe an old hunter's trail the only view will be when the trees have no leaves as a previous guidebook refers to the summit as "wooded".

Tennessee Viking
07-01-2010, 23:27
Good question. I thought about climbing the summit one time, but I got kicked off the ridgeline by heavy lightning.

From what the topos say, there isn't any official trail. But for the Sugarloaf Knob, it looks like its pretty wooded and steep. Its about 500 foot climb in .2 miles. But it does look like there was a cleared path once cleared over to the knob.

I know there is an old road bed that crosses the AT at Sugarloaf that CMC probably uses for maintenance. And I have found a good camping area in between the Rock and the old orchard which was old trail on a wooded road.

I would keep an eye on the Rocky Fork valley area around Flint Gap. The plans are to create a backcountry area. And Konnarock is starting to build new graded trail over looking the valley.

10-K
07-02-2010, 05:02
I own some land that just about (within 100 yards or so) touches Sugarloaf Mt.

I haven't been all around it but I haven't seen a trail to the top though there may be one. There's plenty of water at the bottom and you should be able to find a decent place to put up a tent or hammock at the top if you decided to make your way up there.