PDA

View Full Version : New member

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 00:07
I am brand new to this site. Have been lurking for about a year.:banana I was planning a hike on the A.T. for July 1st with 2 friends, we had been planning it for about 6 months. Both of my friends backed out on me in the last 3 or 4 days, and what I want to know is if its a good idea to go do it alone. I really want to make this happen. Plz let me know what ppl think.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2010, 00:10
hell yeah go it alone!

Gray Blazer
07-02-2010, 00:10
The Long Walk is a good story. Where are you planning to hike? I used to go alone all the time. My dog goes with me now. I think the AT is relatively safe.

Gray Blazer
07-02-2010, 00:12
hell yeah go it alone!

That's what I really meant to say.

RGB
07-02-2010, 00:14
I am brand new to this site. Have been lurking for about a year.:banana I was planning a hike on the A.T. for July 1st with 2 friends, we had been planning it for about 6 months. Both of my friends backed out on me in the last 3 or 4 days, and what I want to know is if its a good idea to go do it alone. I really want to make this happen. Plz let me know what ppl think.

DO IT. You will not be sorry. My first section was similar, I had a buddy going with me and he backed out at the last second. I took a leap and went anyway, and I know now that I'm doing a thru after graduation whether my two buddies want to or not. You will meet people along the way. I'm generally anti-social but it's very easy to make close friends on the trail. Being out there alone is good for taking long, hard looks at yourself and you'll probably learn something new about yourself, even being out there for just a week or two.

Judging by the name...fellow Stephen King fan?

Mountain Wildman
07-02-2010, 00:15
It's been said that the things in life we truly regret are the things we didn't do and the chances we didn't take.
Go for it, The idea to hike the A.T. was brought up to me over 20 years ago by my best friend, I am going next year, God willing, And my B.F. is not.
You can be sure, not thru-hiking the A.T. is one regret I will not have!!

Mountain Wildman
07-02-2010, 00:17
Stephen King Rocks!!!

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 00:21
Thanks for the reply Lone Wolf. Always been a fan of your posts on trailplace and whiteblaze. The suppport means alot to me everyone. Im heading for Connecticut for around 3 weeks and am extremely excited about it. I leave on the 5th and hope to make it to Katahdin before close.

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 00:25
Is my name the name of a Stephen King book? Im not familiar with it but I'll check it out. Im a huge fan of fantasy books. (real dorky).

RGB
07-02-2010, 00:29
Yesss. The Long Walk is under his psuedonym Richard Bachman I think. Very good book. You can read it on the trail!

I took my name from The Stand.

Mountain Wildman
07-02-2010, 01:01
Yesss. The Long Walk is under his psuedonym Richard Bachman I think. Very good book. You can read it on the trail!

I took my name from The Stand.

Who was the walkin dude in the stand?

RGB
07-02-2010, 03:36
Who was the walkin dude in the stand?

Randall Flagg, haha. I don't consider myself an agent of the devil, it just sounded hiking related. :D

Cookerhiker
07-02-2010, 06:14
Welcome to WB and have a good hike!

Jeff
07-02-2010, 06:21
Yes .... go for a hike. On the AT you are rarely alone. Most actually find the interaction between hikers to be just about perfect. Otherwise, they would be hiking some other, less social trail.

berkshirebirder
07-02-2010, 07:16
Im heading for Connecticut for around 3 weeks --LongWalk

LongWalk, you have three weeks to hike starting from CT?

solstice
07-02-2010, 09:25

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

You'll be so glad you did. You'll meet new people along the way. At least they backed out now, instead of when the going got tough, and you'd be more inclined to be persuaded to back out with them.

Just go. And make sure you run a trail journal! We want updates! Photos! Pictures of your nasty feet after the 100-mile Wilderness!

To put it in a more sane perspective, five years from now, you will regret not doing it. But you will not regret actually getting out there and hiking the AT.

Happy hiking!

10-K
07-02-2010, 09:46
I'm not averse to people but I prefer hiking solo. It makes the decision making process much, much simpler.

Old Hiker
07-02-2010, 09:51
Go - go - go - go!!!! And think happy thoughts about us mere mortals who can't get up there to hike until August!

Old Hiker
07-02-2010, 09:51
Forgot - welcome to White Blaze!

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 10:54
LongWalk, you have three weeks to hike starting from CT?

Yea, starting in southern CT and heading north for 3 weeks.

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 10:55
Thanks for the support from everyone, Im feeling much more reassured now.

berkshirebirder
07-02-2010, 11:41
Longwalk, It's 700-some miles from CT to Katahdin. There's a link to the A. T. Database (mileages, resupply info, etc) on the WhiteBlaze homepage.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=340867

If you want to get to Katahdin this year, check to see where you could start in New Hampshire or Maine.

innermountain
07-02-2010, 12:15
I agree - go! go! go! You'll likely meet people easily and end up with some new friends. Enjoy!

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 12:39
Sry for the misunderstanding. I know I wont make it to Katahdin in 3 weeks, but if I want to continue hiking when the 3 weeks are up I will have that ability. 3 weeks is what I will 100% do, but I would like to continue and see the end if all goes well.

berkshirebirder
07-02-2010, 12:58
Good luck on your hike, Long Walk--hope you have a great time.