PDA

View Full Version : Is it stupid

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 00:39
to carry a Thermo-Lite 2.0 bivy sack as my main sleep system(sleeping bag) on my July hike in Connecticut?

This will be in addition to a balaclava, rain jacket.

fiddlehead
07-02-2010, 00:43
It's been done.
I'd say it depends on your experience level and how cold a sleeper you are.
do you know the hot water bottle trick?

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 00:51
I know the hot water bottle trick but I am relatively inexperienced in comparison to the others on this forum. I tend to sweat my ass off if its above 70(have slept with a ceiling fan my whole life). I just dont wanna freeze to death out there. I checked the weather averages for the area and it was in the 50"s range which i think I can handle with that gear. It will save me around 2Lbs if I take it instead of my lightest sleeping bag. Since I weigh in at around 130 I wanna be as UL as possible.

Mountain Wildman
07-02-2010, 00:58
It is unlikely you will encounter really cold temps in Connecticut in July, The days are typically from 75 to 95 and the nights are not much cooler, July and August are the hottest months in Connecticut, Within the past two weeks up here we hit around 82, In Connecticut it was in the mid to high 90's.

fiddlehead
07-02-2010, 00:59
Up to you of course.
Personally (i'm skinny too) I would want the sleeping bag.
The weight you save by taking the bivy instead is minimal IMO (My Hummingbird by FF weighs in at 2 lbs and I believe a bivy weights at least 1.)

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 01:11
The bivy weighs in at 6.8 ounces, a little less then half a pound. With an additional safety blanket its still around 10 ounces. Like I said just dont wana die. I appreciate all the responses.

Mountain Wildman
07-02-2010, 01:37
The bivy weighs in at 6.8 ounces, a little less then half a pound. With an additional safety blanket its still around 10 ounces. Like I said just dont wana die. I appreciate all the responses.

I certainly would not want to be responsible for you dying due to exposure, I grew up in southern Connecticut and lived in several parts of Ct. for 45 years. I usually didn't even carry a jacket for night time in July or August. Under normal conditions, You should be fine with your bivy, blanket and clothing, If necessary you could always build a fire, Very unlikely that you would have to unless you were hypothermic from falling into a mountain lake or water in a cave, The highest elevation in Ct. is 2380, I never summited Mt. Frissell so I can't be sure of night time temps up there, I don't ever recall hearing of anyone dying from exposure in the summer month's. You should be fine, Too warm if anything.:sun

The Long Walk
07-02-2010, 03:32
Thanks for the reassurance.

fredmugs
07-02-2010, 08:42
Get a hammock and sleep at the lower elevations.

garlic08
07-02-2010, 09:05
I have used my AMK bivy as my only shelter a few times, but never with absolutely no insulation. I would at least carry a mid-weight jersey (< 8 oz) in addition to the rain jacket. I had a cool July night in the East once, unexpected, where I had to get up in the night and start walking because I didn't have enough insulation. I've never had it out in pounding rain, but I imagine that could get real cold and would conduct a lot of heat away from you.

Be sure to try out the bivy a few times, at least once in rain, if you haven't, before you commit to the trip. It may be too moist for you in there especially if you sweat a lot.