PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian to NOC Data, Please.

Old Hiker
07-02-2010, 10:35
My Scout Troop (7 boys, 4 adults to date, might be a smaller group) is going from Standing Indian campgrounds to the NOC in 6 days, the first of August. We want to stay away from shelters, if at all possible. We will NOT be in a long conga line, but will be breaking up into about 3 groups depending on speed, getting back together in the evening at pre-determined spots.

We are taking 6 days, based on the speed of the slowest Scout and Leader.

Does anyone have any recent data on stealth camps, water supplies, etc?

Thanks for any and all information!

Phreak
07-02-2010, 11:33
Plenty of water from Standing Indian to Rock Gap. Not sure about the conditions north of this point.

solobip
07-02-2010, 13:21
Are you going around Albert Mtn? There was plenty of water all along the AT from Standing Indian to Glassmine Gap this last weekend. From Standing Indian campground at the Wilderness Info Center the Lower Rridge Trail was very overgrown halfway up. i did not use Kimmsey Trail but it is usally good. From Beech to Carter Gap Shelter there were several water stops. From Carter Gap to Big Spring Shelter also good water. Big Butt on to Albert not much availabel till glassmine gap and it is down the Long Branch Trail about .2 mile to a camp site. Have a blast, and watch out on Big Butt the trail drops off really far and is covered with overgrowth at the edge.

Uncle Cranky
07-05-2010, 21:49
Did this section two weeks ago in 14 hours of actual hiking time with a light pack.
It's mostly ridge hiking which makes for an easy hike...once you get up onto the ridges! Other hikers informed me it had rained heavily the day before I arrived so water was plentiful. I was averaging a little over 2 miles/hour and was hitting water sources about every hour and a half (about 3 miles on the ground). I only carried a 24 oz drinking bottle and a 16 oz back up. I found that I could get by only using the 24 oz bottle and remember having to use the 16 oz bottle twice to get me to the next water source. When I stopped at a source I'd camel up by drinking a bottle or two of the 24 oz then fill it for the trail. The longest break between water sources is about 5 miles between Wesser Shelter and Rufus Morgan Shelter which is a steep down hill that might slow you down some, so plan on spending more time on this section and carry a little more water. Rufus Morgan Shelter is only .7 miles of easy hiking into NOC. The temperature when I was hiking was a cool 75 degrees when the lowland temperature was in the low 90s at the time. Of course conditions, temperature, and your hiking speed will be different when you go in August so "be prepared".

Gray Blazer
07-05-2010, 23:18
Prolly room for 10 campers in some spots north of Rock Gap. If you start early you could make it to Siler Bald with plenty of room on top for tents. Not sure about hammocks.

Room for tents at Wayah Gap. Picnic tables there.

The whole trip should be an easy four days if you start at Rock Gap. You may want to start at Deep Gap (You can drive there or hike up from Standing Indian Canpground). If you do that it would add another day. Make sure you take the blue blaze up the short trail to Rocky Bald. Good picnic spot.

It is possible to drive near the base of Albert Mountain Tower which is a good place to start with a fine view of Franklin, Standing Indian and Wayah Bald.

You can set up in the picnic area on Wayah Bald or go a few more miles and have plenty of room at Burningtown Gap.

Room for a few tents at Wesser Bald . If the weather is good, a few of you may want to cowboy on the tower. There might be others there with the same idea.

Easy day down to NOC from Wesser.

jesse
07-05-2010, 23:37
I did this section May of this year. Plenty of water then.

Tented at Carter Gap Shelter. This is a good place for a group your size. Lots of space. Water.

Camped about mile 108.6. Good spot, enough room for your group. Water.

Tented near Cold Springs Shelter, just passed the shelter on the left down in a hole. OK. When we left the next morning I saw a sign, just passed where we camped, pointing to camp sites on the right side of the trail. I did not follow this trail, but I think it would be a better place to camp.

I don't recall many "stealth" areas. You should be ok if you plan on camping near any of the shelters.

BTW. a great section. Have fun. My wife, daughters, and grand kids met my son and I at NOC, and we rented kayaks and did the river. I would plan a river trip at the end. The boys will love it.

Bear Cables
07-06-2010, 20:47
Plenty of water from Standing Indian to Rock Gap. Not sure about the conditions north of this point.

Water at winding stair both from a piped stream at the road and then a mountain stream up the trail, water spring along the top of ridge somewhere past wayah bald, spring at cold spring and wesser shelter. Lots of good non shelter campsites between Rock gap and NOC

Old Hiker
07-14-2010, 18:00
Thanks to all for the replies! The data helps quite a bit. The boys and adults are getting excited and this will help.

daddytwosticks
07-15-2010, 07:39
Last Saturday (7-10) the water source at Big Springs Shelter was in bad shape. You can walk a few yards down the branch and dip/pump out of small puddles. There were two creeks flowing across the trail before Glassmine Gap (hiking north) and a piped spring here flowing water like a fire hydrant. Have a great hike. :)