PDA

View Full Version : Frying pan and making bread/ biscuits

English Stu
07-03-2010, 05:46
Going to Maine and into the 100 MW where resupply is short and plenty of food needed.
I usually do this by adding to my meals by warming up Tortillas/cheese and making pancakes,biscuits. Need a very light non stick pan. In the past have used my 5oz cut down pan (cut down the sides and removed handle) and my 2oz Titanium bowl ( soon gets hot.) I also have a very small egg pan but that is no good for tortillas.
Anything better out there?
Have also tried to bake bread/american biscuits on the trail;any body got a good recipe or good way of doing this? Tried some ideas for making small oven out of Titan kettle and foil cups, would this work better with steel pot?

Hikes in Rain
07-03-2010, 07:57
Breads can be baked on hot rocks next to the fire. The dough can be rolled into a long thin cylindar and wrapped around a stick, then held over coals to bake. If it falls off the stick, fish it out and call it an ash cake. ("Never give the thing a name until you serve it." Horace Kephart. Very wise man) You can also just glom a wad of dough on the end of a stick; the hole is great to fill with butter and jam.

On the rare times I take a skillet, I use the one from my ancient Boy Scout kit. Why not, I'm still using the pot.

For recipes, there's not much to a good biscuit or pancake mix. Handful of flour (I prefer whole wheat), four finger pinch of sugar, one finger pinch of salt, two finger pinch of baking powder. Add a glob of butter, margarine or olive oil, and just enough water to make the consistency you want. Milk powder helps it along, as well. Mixing in a plastic bag helps with the messiness.

Takes a bit of time, but the results are worth it. And there are a lot worse ways to spend your time than baking bread while nursing a little fire.

Old Hiker
07-03-2010, 09:14
Our local Wal-Mart (UP WALLY!) has some IMUSA pans that do pretty well. I saw the brand on another thread and checked them out. I was looking for the 6.3 inch egg pan, but wound up with a 9.5 inch, very low - 1/4 inch high or so side walls, removeable handle fry pan. This is going to be perfect for tortillas. I had to make some small divots in the bottom for my Pocket Rocket legs to go into to keep it from sliding off. One divot turned into a small hole through the pan - I'll just have to keep an eye on where I put liquidy stuff! Both pans are non-stick. I've used the 9.5 one for the pancake batter over bacon trick and can make 2 at once. The smaller one looks like it will take the small round breads to make bread, egg and bacon sandwiches. I'm playing with that this weekend. The larger pan is NOT that heavy to me. The smaller pan actually comes with a lid as well!

garlic08
07-03-2010, 09:51
You might want to avoid titanium except for boiling water. It's a poor conductor of heat and develops hot spots, a nuisance when frying. There's a reason the best frying pans are thick and heavy, and copper is best.

soulrebel
07-03-2010, 10:25
For 40 years, aluminum Open Country 2liter with bail handle on top. Similar to the one in the video, but has a much lighter wire bail handle. Ash cakes cooked in the fire work w/ less mess by mixing the dough in a bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AXYqy5zFLE

LIhikers
07-05-2010, 20:39
I've thought of getting a plate like this (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82028) to use as a pan.

sbhikes
07-06-2010, 13:32
You can resort to dumplings. Mmmm. Dumplings.