PDA

View Full Version : Night Hiking, Just Curious...

Point Man Chef
07-03-2010, 08:51
I'll be doing the GA section soon and was wondering is there any part of that section that lends itself to night hiking as far as being easier than another part. I'm curious about night hiking in general. I guess one would do it for many reasons. But I would think if it was personal preference then that preference over rides the preference to see the scenery as one hikes? Cooler temps I would assume would be another reason to hike at night too. Anyway, just curious to see if any do night hike and what your reasons are for doing so.

Phreak
07-03-2010, 09:32
I night hike from time to time. Its a different trail experience than hiking during the daytime.

You can comfortably hike the majority of the GA AT at night.

garlic08
07-03-2010, 09:39
I can't say much for GA specifically--only hiked there a couple of times. I think you're right about personal preference. I think everyone should try it, because you do see different things at night and it is cooler. Some really enjoy it. I usually don't, but some of my most memorable hikes have been after sunset and before sunrise. I've never hiked all night.

There is a slightly elevated risk of wandering off trail, injury from tripping, or disturbing a hunting rattlesnake (when in hunt mode at night, they don't rattle as readily).

From what I remember of the AT in GA, it could be good night hiking terrain. With lots of tree cover, the moon won't be much help.

Panzer1
07-03-2010, 10:34
I've had to hike at night on occasion but I never liked it. Always afraid of wandering off the trail in the dark and getting lost. You should at least have a nice bright hand held flash light.

Panzer

JEBjr
07-03-2010, 12:02
From my experience, I tend to get more cuts and bruises when hiking at night. I seem to cover much less distance and my over all rest is better during the night rather than trying to sleep during the day.

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."
— President Lyndon B. Johnson, on the signing of the Wilderness Act of 1964

Big Dawg
07-03-2010, 13:58
I'll be doing the GA section soon and was wondering is there any part of that section that lends itself to night hiking as far as being easier than another part.

The Blue Ridge Swag. Pretty flat w/ minimal rocks/roots, from what I remember.

I love night hiking,,, done it a half dozen times or so. Mostly in situations where we were shuttled after dark and had to make it to camp. Most on clear moon-filled nights, so we didn't have to use headlamps.

pic of hiking south from Allen Gap, NC/TN......

wcgornto
07-03-2010, 16:49
The only night hiking I did on the AT was a couple of times early in the morning when it was still dark. I enjoyed it very much, but I was glad that it was only thirty minutes or so.

I enjoyed hearing the night sounds (owls, crickets) fading away and the day sounds coming to life (cars, machinery). It was an interesting contrast between the "wilderness" of the trail and its closeness with civilization.

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2010, 16:52
I'll be doing the GA section soon and was wondering is there any part of that section that lends itself to night hiking as far as being easier than another part. I'm curious about night hiking in general. I guess one would do it for many reasons. But I would think if it was personal preference then that preference over rides the preference to see the scenery as one hikes? Cooler temps I would assume would be another reason to hike at night too. Anyway, just curious to see if any do night hike and what your reasons are for doing so.

Night hiking is cool- if you can see the city lights, it looks like fireworks in the distance. I like hiking very early in the morning- like 4am, and then hiking while the sun comes up. But, the spider webs are EVERYWHERE.

sbhikes
07-03-2010, 17:08
Night hiking can be fun. There are some places that are just made for hiking by the light of the moon. I usually avoid night hiking, however, but those few times when I've done it have always been a lot of fun. I have trouble sleeping if I hike too close to bed time, though.

gunner76
07-03-2010, 17:24
Best if you can do it by a full moon so you do not have to use a flashlight.

Also you need to hike at a slower pace as those tree roots and rocks like to sneak up on you at night.

Don't know why but it always seems like your destination is further away and takes longer to hike to when hiking at night than in the daytime.

10-K
07-03-2010, 17:28
My "night" hiking is usually done in the pre-dawn hours (3 AM or so) rather than after it gets dark in the evening.

There's something really rewarding about having 15-20 miles in before lunch and those 3-4 hours of hiking before dawn go by really fast for me.

Wise Old Owl
07-03-2010, 21:32
I like hiking in the dark, but led headlamps do not send enough definition in rocky terrain and that can cause some tripping. Been giving it some thought latley.

fiddlehead
07-03-2010, 22:59
It is my opinion that the best time is half moon (waxing)
Then the moon is at it's height in the sky at dusk.

I say this because I believe dusk is the best time to hike and when the moon is up, you can continue the hike longer.

Full moon is ok if you are going to hike all night long.

As far as hiking all night long, it's not for me although I've done it.
Also, I've done some ultra runs of 100 miles and that 1-4 AM part is the hardest mentally.

But dusk and dawn and an hour after and before, are just awesome times to be in the woods and walking. The animals are out and active. They live out there and know the best times.
The colors are greatest at sunrise and sunset of course also.

But nighthiking on a moonless or cloudy, rainy night where it is just black as coal, well, you might as well go out in your backyard and walk around in circles. What's the point?

Shutterbug
07-04-2010, 15:15

I can't speak specifically about the GA section, but night hiking can be fun when there is a reason. Last week, I did a rim to rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon. It was so hot during the day that it was dangerous to be on the trial. My wife and I decided to hike out during the cooler night hours. We left the bottom (Phantom Ranch) a little before 2 a.m. and were in the dark until we reached Indian Garden.

Some of the positive aspects of hiking at night:

1. cooler
2. no crowds on the trail.
3. different sights and sounds

This week, it was really interesting to listen as the birds began to sing just before dawn. Over the period of about 30 minutes, the sounds changed from silence to a chorus of birds singing.

I encourage you to give it a try.

Tailwinder
07-04-2010, 17:07
Hogpen Gap to Rocky Knob is a wonderful section for day or night hiking--lots of fairly wide, fairly rock- and root-free walking... Good luck!

Sierra Echo
07-10-2010, 22:21
I will pass on the whole night hiking thing. I would probably walk off a mountain.

Point Man Chef
07-10-2010, 22:48
I will pass on the whole night hiking thing. I would probably walk off a mountain.

Yeah I thought about that myself. Only time I have hiked at night was on flat land and out of necessity, not on purpose. One of those "damn, wished we had stopped back there" times and back there was a few miles away! But the idea is interesting for the experience on the AT and also practical for heat related reasons. We're heading out next Thursday to do the GA section so... hence the question. I do appreciate everyone's comments on their experience and such.

jesse
07-10-2010, 23:48
I hiked a few hours at night, in GA, in Winter when the days are short. Don't particularly like it.

on_the_GOEZ
07-11-2010, 03:47
Night hiking is cool- if you can see the city lights, it looks like fireworks in the distance. I like hiking very early in the morning- like 4am, and then hiking while the sun comes up. But, the spider webs are EVERYWHERE.
This was the worst part of my night-hiking experience! I was with a friend and insisted he go in front (only until he realized the reason). I can relate to the fear of getting lost but If one has a bright headlamp, its usually not too bad. Just take your time.
Hiking in the warm sun feels much better because if one is sweaty when they get to camp in the dead of night, its gets cold..QUICK. But, that makes the sleeping bag feel that much better, of course.. :)
Id say everyone should try in at least once, especially if scheduled to arrive at a summit around sunrise... mmhmm!

TIDE-HSV
07-11-2010, 14:23

That's tough, Shlep. My buddy Krewzer (AT thru 2000) go put off the PCT by the same infection...

Tinker
07-11-2010, 14:33
In 2008 I hiked up the north side of Mt. Greylock to meet Wrongway08 and Peanut entirely by headlamp. I'd done the section in daylight, so it wasn't much of a mystery as to where I needed to turn off to the shelter to hang my hammock.
The biggest surprise was the large volume of the big Luna moths that felt it necessary to fly into the lens on my headlamp.
I like night hiking, and don't mind setting up camp by headlamp, but I'm not fond of cooking after dark.
As for the Ga. AT, the only places I remember footing being sketchy were the descent of Blood Mt. and the approach to Blue Mt. (from the south) where there is a small scree field that the trail crosses.

nighthiker
10-09-2010, 13:13
one thing which works well for me while nighthiking is having 2 headlamps with strong lumen output. Keeping one of the headlamps on spotlight mode and the other on flood light mode, this giving you a greater field of preception of the trail.

also, when you have a road, its good that one of the hradlamps has the red light beam function so you can have the red light on on the back of your head and the other spot light lamp on front to shin onto oncoming traffic....thats my take and input

other then that, night time is the right time to hike

TheYoungOne
10-09-2010, 20:01
I ocassionally get insomnia. One night, I was real restless in my tent, so I decided to break camp at 9:30 and hike from the Windsor Furnace shelter back to my car at Port Clinton. To get there during the day it took 6 hours to hike the 6 miles, but on the way back it only took 4. The advantage is it was more downhill on the way back, and I skipped the site seeing, and the lunch break. The rock field was especially hairy, and a pair of deer gave me a scare. I had my petzel on full white light, and it worked perfectly.

The funny thing is in the dark the blazes are easier to find, but in certain section you lose the trail for a second

Atl chef
10-10-2010, 11:59
Night hiking is fun and also neccesary at times. I hiked 300-400 miles of my thru hike at night. Sometimes to avoid the heat other times to do the miles. If on the AT you will not go off trail frequently, it is blazed well and the paint somewhat reflects to yhe light of a headlamp. I would suggest a headlamp not a flashlight( I did not see a single person use one my whole hike).

As far as hiking in Georgia, the terrain is very easy and lends itself to night hiking. Enjoy.