PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again! Another shelter roof....

shelterbuilder
07-03-2010, 14:17
BMECC is moving on to shelter #2! :banana
On Saturday and Sunday, July 10 and 11, we will start replacing the roof on the Eagle's Nest Shelter, between Rts. 183 and 61 in Pa. This time, the new shingles will be going in (and the old ones going out) via wheelbarrow on the old construction-trail. The shelter, the toilet, and the compost storage-platform roofs will all have to be replaced, so if we don't finish during the first weekend, we'll be going back on the weekend of July 17-18.
This massive-log shelter was flown (75% complete) in to the site under a CH-54 military helicopter and finished on-site in 1988, and featured the first batch-composting toilet on the trail in Pa. So, if you'd like to help re-furbish a piece of trail history, plan to meet us at the SHARTLESVILLE Game Lands parking lot around 8:20 on Saturday morning...or hike in to the shelter on Friday night and spend the night there, and we'll join you in the morning!

shelterbuilder
07-12-2010, 20:45
The rain on Saturday kept most folks away, but one of my principal roofers and I went in, repaired the roof on the compost storage platform and cut down a couple of "junk" trees that were overhanging the shelter roof (better to have them fall onto an old roof than on a new one!). I went back to the club's property and constructed and painted a couple of false bottoms for the platform, which were installed on Sunday. (The latest inspection of this part of the toilet system revealed that the platform is probably a "goner" within the next 3 to 5 years, so instead of putting a good roof on a bad structure, we'll make repairs that will allow us to use the platform for another few years, then we'll build a new one.)

On Sunday, my other principal roofer showed up, so we also replaced the roof on the toilet. But with only 2 people on the crew that day, it was pointless to try to do anything with the shelter's roof - THAT will have to wait until (hopefully) this coming weekend.

They're calling for isolated T-storms on Saturday and hot, sunny weather on Sunday - if you're in the neighborhood, come on out and pitch a few shingles up to us! PM me for details if you're interested....