PDA

View Full Version : Amazing/Entertaining Journal

-Animal
07-03-2010, 19:59
I’ve been researching for my 2011 AT thru hike a while now. I’ve read countless journals. Sifting through the sands of advice and experiences I found a diamond. So far this is the king of entertaining journals. The best. If this has been said before, I’m saying it again... if you want a good read, then read Datto's 2000 Appalachian Trail Journal!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5030

Thank you Datto.

Anyone else find an amazing/entertaining journal?

And hello everyone on whiteblaze.

John B
07-03-2010, 20:30
Red Dane, 2006. She was an international student from the Netherlands. Started in January. She never had a bad day. Never complained or whined.

Old Hiker
07-03-2010, 20:39
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=260708

Bison has a great journal - also helped me with questions on MREs, etc.

Big Dawg
07-03-2010, 22:42
I’ve been researching for my 2011 AT thru hike a while now. I’ve read countless journals. Sifting through the sands of advice and experiences I found a diamond. So far this is the king of entertaining journals. The best. If this has been said before, I’m saying it again... if you want a good read, then read Datto's 2000 Appalachian Trail Journal!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5030

Thank you Datto.

Anyone else find an amazing/entertaining journal?

And hello everyone on whiteblaze.

Hello!!

good stuff... loved this paragraph on his last page.....

"This is what life is about -- rather than penance and toil then frenzied accumulation, it's about joy and happiness and thrill of discovery. Of kindness and generosity and reaching into the unknown. And friendship among those who've tackled challenges, of adventure, of facing fears while learning to look forward to what's up ahead, around this corner, over that hilltop. The preciousness of experience and appreciation of the moment and the spirit to embrace the future...whatever it may be. It's something that blossoms over time, as peace envelops."

sorry,,, no trailjournal suggestion of my own.

fiddlehead
07-03-2010, 23:07
"This is what life is about -- rather than penance and toil then frenzied accumulation, it's about joy and happiness and thrill of discovery. Of kindness and generosity and reaching into the unknown. And friendship among those who've tackled challenges, of adventure, of facing fears while learning to look forward to what's up ahead, around this corner, over that hilltop. The preciousness of experience and appreciation of the moment and the spirit to embrace the future...whatever it may be. It's something that blossoms over time, as peace envelops."

I think he took the words right out of Lone Wolf's mouth.

Or, in other words: "It's just walkin!" :)

rambunny
07-04-2010, 12:06
Aswah 2000 is both eloquent and entertaining.

bulldog49
07-04-2010, 16:50
Red Dane, 2006. She was an international student from the Netherlands. Started in January. She never had a bad day. Never complained or whined.

Agree, her's was the best journal I've read.

Tipi Walter
07-04-2010, 18:11
Here's my favorite Datto quote from his 2000 AT thruhike:

"June 8 - US 42, Virginia ... in Central Virginia
Milepoint 657.0, 60 days since start of hike, averaging 10.9 miles per dayPigeon Forge, Tenn. (AP) - Country singer Dolly Parton had mixed feelings at the groundbreaking ceremony for her $20 million water park expansion planned next to her Dollywood theme park.
Razing of the 35-acre site in Parton's hometown began Friday, uprooting many trees more than a century old.
Parton acknowledged that progress came at a price, but that she was trying to be sensitive to the environment.
"You always hate to tear up land," Parton said. "But in order to progress and provide things for people to do, you kind of have to sacrifice."
Oh yeah. Just what Pigeon Forge really needs. Less hundred year old trees and more Dollywood 'progress'.

God was not happy." ALL QUOTES FROM DATTO 2000 AT TRAIL JOURNAL.

In order for people to have things to do, you kind of have to sacrifice??

solstice
07-04-2010, 19:21
Here's my favorite Datto quote from his 2000 AT thruhike:

"June 8 - US 42, Virginia ... in Central Virginia
Milepoint 657.0, 60 days since start of hike, averaging 10.9 miles per dayPigeon Forge, Tenn. (AP) - Country singer Dolly Parton had mixed feelings at the groundbreaking ceremony for her $20 million water park expansion planned next to her Dollywood theme park.
Razing of the 35-acre site in Parton's hometown began Friday, uprooting many trees more than a century old.
Parton acknowledged that progress came at a price, but that she was trying to be sensitive to the environment.
"You always hate to tear up land," Parton said. "But in order to progress and provide things for people to do, you kind of have to sacrifice."
Oh yeah. Just what Pigeon Forge really needs. Less hundred year old trees and more Dollywood 'progress'.

God was not happy." ALL QUOTES FROM DATTO 2000 AT TRAIL JOURNAL.

In order for people to have things to do, you kind of have to sacrifice??

When I read mind-bendingly idiotic things such as that which was regurgitated from the dark bowels of Dolly Parton's peroxide-saturated grey matter, I can feel my IQ drop as I sit here, disgusted, staring at my computer like it is a colony of sewe-dwelling Tubifex worms; a quivering mass of filth and pestilence spewed forth into a world where celebrity-worshiping masses happily lap it up and ask for more.

What?

solstice
07-04-2010, 19:22
Aw. All that and I left the 'R' off of 'sewer.' I shall immediately drive to Dollywood to live out the remainder of my days.

Jester2000
07-06-2010, 02:11
Datto is a great writer and a spectacular human being.

-Animal
07-26-2010, 07:44
Thanks for the suggestions! I read them all and about forty others I found. All the Journals have something that can help a new hiker, even if the journalist makes a few mistakes you can learn from them. But more then learning things, the journals make me want to go hike the AT so bad I can taste it.

Are there more good journal sites out there?