PDA

View Full Version : Weather in the Whites

KVKV
07-03-2010, 19:59
Hi,I am currently thru hiking northbound and I'll be at Bear Mountain on this Monday to continue my hike, to finish on Katahdin around 20 August. I have a 32 degree WM sleeping bag and thermal top and bottom and a thermal hat as my current sleeping system (although I don't use the thermal bottom nor hat). I wanted to check whether I should change the sleeping bag for a 20 degree one. I started in Georgia with a 20 degree one but started in May so didn't really need it. I seem to see from this forum that the temperatures in the Whites can really get quite low and I do get cold when I sleep. So could you please let me know whether I should switch out the bag and I assume Hanover is the place to do it (from my research). Thanks a lotKVKV

Sierra Echo
07-03-2010, 20:02
When you got online and checked out the forecast, what did the forecast predict??

Feral Bill
07-03-2010, 20:15
Get the warmer bag. You may not need it, but if you do you may need it badly.

BigFoot2002
07-03-2010, 20:20
I'd suggest you swap out the bag, and mail anything else you need, to Glencliff NH. The post office is right across from a very nice hostel.

KVKV
07-03-2010, 21:15
Sierra Echo: Looking at the forecast, the average lows would be in the 40s which would theoretically make my summer bag ok as it is a 32. However I have my doubts and as I've never hiked in the US before, I thought I'd ask the experts!Thanks Bill and Bigfoot. That was my feeling. Would be great to keep the lighter bag but I suppose I should not risk it especially given that I get cold at night.

10-K
07-03-2010, 21:30
I just hiked through the Whites with a 55* Mont Bell down bag and a liner. I slept in the huts every night from Glencliff to Gorham but there were other times when I tented that it got into the 40's at night in other places and I slept with my (Mont Bell Thermowrap) jacket and toboggan on and was plenty warm.

kayak karl
07-03-2010, 21:59
i hate the huts. only stayed at Madison. OK, but not for me. hammock had 40 degree quilts and i was OK. last year the rain in July was a killer. a lot got off trail to wait it out.

Slo-go'en
07-04-2010, 11:24
The 32 degree bag you have now should be more than enough for NH and Maine in July and August. If it were September/October, I'd go with the warmer bag.

On July 1st it was snowing hard enough and long enough on Mt Washington to shut down the auto road for the day. So, you never know, but on average, July and August are pretty warm months. 60's days/40 nights at the higher elevations.

fredmugs
07-06-2010, 13:02
Way too early to even start this thread for you. I am starting a 225 mile section hike on Sat part of which will be going thru the Whites. On July 1st the high was 37 degrees. Today it is supposed to be 67 and next week in the 70s. When you get there it could be back in the 30s.

Mountain Wildman
07-06-2010, 15:31
I just spent the weekend camping at Dolly Copp Campground on Route 16, Same road as the Mount Washington Auto Road access, I slept in my Nemo Meta 2P tent, On my NeoAir with a 40 Degree Synthetic Bag and sweatpants and short sleeve T-Shirt and was not the least bit cold. Friday night was cool enough to wear a long sleeve shirt over a T-Shirt but Saturday and Sunday were a little warmer at night and a T-Shirt and Sweatpants were adaequate. Not sure about the temps at night at elevation though. My site neighbors hiked up Mount Washington during the day with shorts and a t-shirt and no backpacks and although there was still some snow up there they did not indicate that they were cold at all.