PDA

View Full Version : Can you follow this trail

10-K
07-04-2010, 06:00
Is the MST a trail you can follow pretty easily or is it a "head scratcher" where you spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out which way to go?

I'm looking for my next hike and this looks promising - especially since I'm in Wilmington, NC (on the coast) and am moving an hour north of Asheville this month.....

modiyooch
07-04-2010, 08:02
We just hiked 278 miles of it last month from Clingsman's Dome to Blowing Rock. Absolutely beautiful because it mainly follows the blue ridge parkway and hits the highlights. I am within one hour from many of these jewels and never knew they were there. Other spots introduced to me where .3 - 2 miles from a given overlook.
It's not the AT, and at times it's not conducive to thru hiking mainly because the trail traverses long stretches of the parkway with no camping. EX. section 2 & 3 from 441 to 23 and also Blowing Rock. We got off the parkway at 19 to camp in Maggie Valley. Also, within those 278 miles the only logical resupply points were Asheville (135 miles), Marion, and Blowing Rock.
My complaint is that there isn't much information out there. It's not even on our state maps or atlas' and its a state trail. It's on most of the National Geographic maps as long as it's the same general area as the AT, and the maps have been updated recently. One of those maps dated 2002 only included the part of the trail that was completed at that point in time. That being said, the National Geographic map ended for us in Linville.
Once you reach the parkway at Beacon Heights in Linville, the MST follows the complete
Tanawha Trial for 13 miles. The it picks up the Boone Fork trail in Price Park
and then the Rich MT trail at Moses Cone. You don't need maps for this area other that what is in the BRP Outdoor Guide.
Get Taba's book (Scot Ward). I'm grateful for his contribuiton and support.
Again, the trail is not the AT. I'm thinking it is more along the lines of an activity trail with backpacking in western nc, and then converting to a bicycle/horse trail in the Piedmont. Can't really comment on that due to stopping at Blowing Rock.
We didn't see anyone for 6 days, until we joined trails like Art Loeb. This included day two in the Smokies on Memorial day. The trail in the National Forests are nice, and the old carriage roads are great, but there is alot of trail that's not in these areas and is overgrown with nettles.
Hope this helps. I really enjoyed hiking in NC again.
Taba is very, very helpful.

modiyooch
07-04-2010, 08:09
also, we got misdirected twice. once in the smokies because it was raining and we didn't have our maps out/memorized at a junction and for some reason the trail wasn't marked for the turn. And in Marion where they relocated the trail but didn't remove the old markers. Actually, I'm the only one that misdirected in Marion because I was following the markers, my daughter had Taba's guide and at that point was following his mindset.

Big Dawg
07-04-2010, 08:42
Is the MST a trail you can follow pretty easily or is it a "head scratcher" where you spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out which way to go?

I'm looking for my next hike and this looks promising - especially since I'm in Wilmington, NC (on the coast) and am moving an hour north of Asheville this month.....

Taba, here on WB, yoyo'd last year,,, he could give you tons of info about the MST. He was just signed on earlier this morn b4 you posted. Maybe he'll be back soon to give some insight, or PM him.

See Bee
07-04-2010, 13:29
I highly recommend buying Taba's guidebook. REI in Asheville sells it. It has highly detailed data describing landmarks, and water on the trail.

Taba
07-04-2010, 14:00

The MST can be confusing in some areas and is very well marked in others. I wrote the manual to help relieve the stress about where the trail goes and where your resources are. The Manual is the most up-to-date set of directions for the MST. The trail does change a little every year so keep checking the www.ncmst.org (http://www.ncmst.org) website for the new re-routes. I will include those re-routes in a future release of the Manual. For now you can see more about it on my website: www.thru-hiker.us (http://www.thru-hiker.us)

If you have any questions about the trail and for getting ready for the adventure, continue to post here and I will try to answer all questions.

10-K
08-22-2010, 19:36
Ok, I ordered Taba's guide and am going to do this in pieces - first up is the section through GSMNP.

I'm assuming that this is probably a well marked/blazed section that'll be relatively easy to follow - sound right?

Smoky Scout
08-23-2010, 12:53
I've used Scot's book to hike from Clingman's Dome up to Linville Gorge plus a couple of Piedmont sections so far and it's a must-have. I also highly recommend Walt Weber's Trail Profiles and Maps: From the Great Smokies to Mount Mitchell and Beyond. I am a visual person and these profile maps of this chunk of the MST were invaluable. I have had to wean myself off of them! You can find Weber's book at several outfitters in the Asheville area, including Diamond Brand, or from the Carolina Mountain Club website, www.carolinamtnclub.com (http://www.carolinamtnclub.com).

Smoky Scout
08-23-2010, 12:57
Also, my hiking partner and I hiked an alternate route through the Smokies that has been proposed by the GSMNP (not yet approved) and is supported by the Carolina Mountain Club. It adds miles of trail overall, but cuts out the first dozen miles of Blue Ridge Parkway walking, including five tunnels. The alternate route roughly picks up the Benton MacKaye Trail and goes over and through the Cataloochee area of the Smokies so if you time it right you can see the elk in the morning or evening. Also plenty of camping options. Then it loops back out to Heintooga Ridge Road and back to the BRP.

Graywolf
08-24-2010, 07:12
My complaint is that there isn't much information out there. It's not even on our state maps or atlas' and its a state trail. It's on most of the National Geographic maps as long as it's the same general area as the AT, and the maps have been updated recently.

Contact NCDOT, They have a map that shows all the backpacking and hiking routes of the state, and yes, the Mountains to Sea Trail is on there. Its is actually a wonderfull map, as it also shows what trails connects to the trails in Virgina and South Carolina as well, and there is a lot out there..

Graywolf

gunner76
08-24-2010, 21:39
Contact NCDOT, They have a map that shows all the backpacking and hiking routes of the state,

I was just on the NC DOT web site and did not see any maps related to hiking/ect. Do you have a link ?

10-K
08-24-2010, 21:55
I was just on the NC DOT web site and did not see any maps related to hiking/ect. Do you have a link ?

same here.. I looked and couldn't find it either.

10-K
08-25-2010, 09:43
I sent an email to the NC DOT about a trail map and this was their response:

Dear Mr. Bradford:

The NCDOT does not produce such maps, but if you go to a section of our Bike & Pedestrian website at www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/travelingfoot, and scroll to the Where to Walk section, you will find a link for Where to Walk. That will take you to a page with a number of links on the right hand side where you should find access to hiking maps.

Tennessee Viking
08-25-2010, 10:45
10-K,

I might have the sources you will need. There are two books Taba's Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina (edition 2010). He has descriptions for going east-bound and west-bound.

Then there is Allen deHart's book "Hiking North Carolina's Mountains to Sea Trail."

You can also get info from the FMST site: http://www.ncmst.org/the-trail/plan-your-hike-2/guidebooks-maps/

I would go with Taba's book. He is very detailed on the route after walking it 3 times and its bit more up-to-date. He has maps for towns and resupply points. And has info and phone numbers for hiker support, trail angels, and tenting locations.

As for maps, there is Art Kelley's Maps http://artshikingmaps.info/. He is trying to get them re-edited and updated, so not all maps are available. There is Parkay Maps http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/ but they are not fully up-to-date. There are the Boone NC area trail map. I have seen it at Mast and REI. There is also the Wilson Creek trail map. Then the NatGeo maps of the Smokies, Nantalhalas, Pisgah Ranger District, and Linville Gorge. The state parks that the trails run through have maps online and at their offices.

Most of the mountain route follows the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Smokies to Devils Garden Overlook. It does travel off the parkway to Mt Mitchell and into the Pisgah National Forest around Linville Gorge and Wilson Creek areas. Sauratown Trail map.

After coming off the mountains into Stone Mountain State Park, you will have a wide variety of road routes to take to Sauratown Trail/Hanging Rock State Park. Then more road routes to Greensboro and to Falls Lake. Then Falls Lake to the Croatan, and out to the Outer Banks.

The road routes will vary from hiker to hiker. Some pick the more direct route others will follow the original route by Allen deHart. While others will follow the more scenic route hitting all major sites. Some will even bike it. Ex. There is the Sauratown Trail that goes from Pilot Mtn to Hanging Rock. It is built and its a bit more wood, but requires to jump down from NC 268 to Pilot Mtn Park. Where as some thru-hikers kept following the NC 268 which is more direct.

Just be aware, a lot of new trail is being built at the moment. There are some new and about to open relos in the works. Especially along the northern Parkway section and Falls Lake.

I can definitely help with most of the route from the Smokies to Falls Lake.

10-K
08-25-2010, 21:36
Thanks - I've ordered Taba's guide and I've got the Nat Geo map of GSMNP and ordered the other maps today. I've also got a map of the Sauratown Trail but it'll be a while before I get that far west.

I'm waiting primarily on Taba's guide before I make any final decisions but I'm thinking my first section will just be to hike the trail until it hits the southern end of the BRP.

This is going to be a weird question, but do you really have to walk down the side of a highway for miles at a time? I mean, I know what "roadwalk" means - it just seems odd that you'd be expected to walk 13 or more miles down a road which doubtless could be unsafe at times.

Graywolf
08-26-2010, 04:38
Here is the NCDOT link. Its a big stite and lots of information. You just have to click around in it. This link has a link to order a Mmountains to Sea map. Yes, NCDOT does make maps, you just have to look.

www.ncdot.gov/travel/mappubs/bikemaps/ (http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/mappubs/bikemaps/)

Hope this helps..I got my maps from the same site..

Graywolf

Kate Dixon
08-27-2010, 14:16
NCDOT has a designated road bike route that they call the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. That route is all on-road and is different than the MST hiking route.

The previous posts provided info about all the hiking guides and maps that I'm aware of. If you check out the website of Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail (www.ncmst.org (http://www.ncmst.org)), we also have a page for each of the 38 trail sections which provide more detailed information about a particular section if any is available.

I hope you'll hike the trail. It's an extraordinary way to explore all of North Carolina!

Kate Dixon
Executive Director
Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail

10-K
08-27-2010, 20:29
Taba's guide to the MST came today - very nicely done! I think with the guide and the Nat Geo trail maps I ordered this week I should be able to figure out how to get around well enough.

One thing that looks a bit worrisome on first read is resupply but I haven't really sat down and tried to figure it out yet.

And do you really have to walk down the shoulder of the BRP for miles at a stretch?

Taba
08-28-2010, 00:05
Yes, you do walk the shoulder but you get better views than any of the drivers. It's an enjoyable walk through a park. More people should get out of their cars and walk the parkway. The cars on the parkway usually aren't going very fast. The speed limit is 45 an usually everybodys riding their brakes to get views. Walk against traffic unless you feel in some turns or tunnels, it would be safer going with traffic

resupply: from Clingman's dome,
3-3 1/2 days to Cherokee,
3 days to Waynesville,
6-7 days to Arden but plan to have a cheeseburger at the Pisgah Inn,
3 miles to Skyland,
7 miles to Black Mountain (off trail 10+ miles but is a great town),
1 mile to Oteen (great resupply location 1/2 mile off trail)... last one before long stretch over Mt. Mitchell

This should get you started on about a 10 mile a day pace. Adjust accordingly. You may have to carry an extra dinner or 2 with you in the longer stretches of wilderness but you can use places like the concession stand on Mt. Mitchell to resupply on candy bars, granola and other snack items including soda. It may take some planning but you'll do fine.

Locomotive Breath
08-29-2010, 20:16
Here is a link to free maps of the MST. I have a complete set of maps but they've not all been posted yet. If you need a section that's not yet posted, let me know. My email address is at the site.

http://artshikingmaps.info/mst/mstsections.shtml

restless
08-29-2010, 20:38
Two thoughts-first, I fully agree with TABA about the cheeseburger at Pisgah Inn. It was a great burger and not as pricey as you might expect. Also, I found that if I planned my walks along the BRP for early morning, I pretty much had the parkway to myself as well as the cool of the morning to enjoy. I have also done some nighthiking along the parkway and found this just as enjoyable.

10-K
08-29-2010, 20:45
Well, I've got enough info that I feel confident enough to make it from Clingman's Dome to Mt. Mitchell.

I'm looking at the first week of November tentatively.

Thanks for the maps LB!

Taba
08-29-2010, 23:43
Well, I've got enough info that I feel confident enough to make it from Clingman's Dome to Mt. Mitchell.

I'm looking at the first week of November tentatively.

Thanks for the maps LB!

Unless you like the challenges of high mountains covered in snow my suggestion would be to start earlier if you can. There are several mountains that are over 6,000 ft. in between Clingman's and Mitchell. Watch the weather, listen to the weatherband and be smart. I ended on October 18th on top of Clingman's in 3 inches of snow and below 30 degree temps. Just be careful in November. The storms can have some dangers invovled at those elevations.

10-K
08-30-2010, 06:04
Unless you like the challenges of high mountains covered in snow my suggestion would be to start earlier if you can. There are several mountains that are over 6,000 ft. in between Clingman's and Mitchell. Watch the weather, listen to the weatherband and be smart. I ended on October 18th on top of Clingman's in 3 inches of snow and below 30 degree temps. Just be careful in November. The storms can have some dangers invovled at those elevations.

Good point - I can play with the dates a bit. We'll see - I want to do this section this year.

Taba
09-03-2010, 11:54
10-K, keep in touch with me throughout the planning process and during the hike. I have a lot of friends in North Carolina that live near the trail so if you get into some bad weather or need assistnce in any other way I will try to pull my resources and see if I can help you succeed. My cell phone number is in the Manual. Feel free to call with questions at anytime. Good luck!

10-K
09-03-2010, 12:52
Thanks Taba - I'm trying to figure out a way to hike the section in GSMNP in a few weeks now.

Then I could go back with my daypack and knock out the next 2 BRP roadwalks (26 miles?) in one day rather than hike them with a full pack.

Then start backpacking again on section 4.....

Taba
09-03-2010, 15:27
The Smokies to the BRP will probably take you 3 days to get to. There are still some good climbs on the BRP even though it's road, the climbs can be long. However you may pick up speed on the downhills. 26 miles might be a stretch. If you don't mind hiking at night you could get it done. Unless you are normally a marathon runner. Then it would take you a couple of hours. Watch the elevation column in the Manual. There will be 2 major climbs and 2 excellent downhills with maybe a couple of shorter ones near the top of the ridge.

10-K
09-03-2010, 15:32
The Smokies to the BRP will probably take you 3 days to get to..

27 miles? nah... day and a half tops.. :)