PDA

View Full Version : Hiking poles?....I have just started using them...

nawlunz
07-04-2010, 11:02
after years of just using a walking stick...but, wanted to get feedback on the proper "instructions"...I found that using the pole to push off on the leg that is being lifted and set down for uphill, that is Right pole used for right leg lift, left leg pole for left leg lift, and likewise for downhill works best....but, I see where others are suggesting something different...

Is there any "right" way to use the poles?

Again, my ole trusty walking stick is still available :)

Hikes in Rain
07-04-2010, 12:37
Mine's not. I switched to poles when my old faithful piece of laurel cracked while preventing a fall. Rather than risk breaking it, I retired it with honors.

No right way, just the way that works for you. I developed the opposite method: right pole, left leg. Seemed natural to me, but your way is probably just as natural for you.

Luddite
07-04-2010, 12:44
I never even knew there was a right or wrong way. Either way you use them you'e still going to have extra support and less stress on your knees.

Strategic
07-04-2010, 12:52
only the way that's right for you. I know that sounds a bit flip, but it's true nonetheless.

I did the same thing a few years ago when I switched from a staff to trekking poles. I did it because my faithful staff failed me in a critical situation and I ended up with a broken shoulder and a mile-and-a-half hike out (down the Agony Grind, no less.) It took a bit for me to get into the swing of them (so to speak) but now I wouldn't trade them for anything.

What it comes down to is that using poles is about as personal as every other part of actually hiking; we each have our own "style" and what works for some makes others feel awkward or worse. Still, I'll try to give you an idea of what I've done and seen others do as a kind of rough outline of the subject.

I tend to use them with much the same rhythm that I did my staff, usually setting alternate poles forward on the strike of my left foot, but also using them as purposefully planted supports with either foot (usually the same side, i.e. left pole/left foot) for extra support on really rough or uneven terrain. Others I've observed use them in a variety of ways: some as though they were another set of feet, planting the pole with every opposite foot strike (a faster rhythm than I use), some entirely independent of their foot strikes at all, some even in two or three step patterns that I can't even describe properly in writing (or do in reality either) but seem entirely natural for the people who do them.

The gist of this is that the only way to get comfortable with poles is to use them, especially on both flat and rough ground, until you find the natural rhythm that your body wants to use with them, just as you did with your staff. Like me, you've probably been using a staff for years, so it will all seem unnatural at first, since you're retraining you body away from a familiar rhythm and into another, different one using the same set of body parts and basic motions. So I'm afraid you'll need to "suffer through" some practice hikes to find what works for you.;)

Big Dawg
07-04-2010, 13:32
no right or wrong way,,, just whatever feels comfy w/ your stride.

beware the anti-polers,, they'll be making their mark on this thread soon enough, telling you why you don't need no stinking poles. i've learned to ignore em.

nawlunz
07-04-2010, 13:40
First, I can't imagine why I haven't used them before....my knees are thanking me. Secondly, I seem to use the opposite pole/leg (Right pole/left leg) on straight aways when I am gliding. On hills, I find more support for each leg when the pole supports that leg..

I know this was a silly question, and what ever works and comes naturally is the most appropriate answer, I was just a litte confused by an instructional video where they were showing me the "correct way"...

THANKS

Mrs Baggins
07-04-2010, 13:57
Love mine love mine love mine! Did a 4 mile day hike last week and decided to leave them home - we were just going for a quick, short hike afterall. It was getting very hot and humid, we had a lot of other things to get done, so we were moving fast on the way back. Going downhill, my right ankle started to roll over and down I went, whacking my left knee hard onto rocks and bruising the heels of my hands where I tried to stop the fall. Had I had my poles with me, that fall would not have happened. I'd have caught myself with them and stayed upright. You'll hear from the anti-pole people that you're just letting your joints and muscles get weak. Nonsense. My husband had extremely painful knees every time he had to go downhill. Not now that he uses poles. The painful knees went on for 30 years. They never got stronger by not using poles. Started using poles 5 years ago - no more pain. He'll opt for the "weak" appearance and no pain, thank you. As for me, I never have swollen hands/fingers from my hands hanging down at my sides because they're always up with my poles. I've stopped countless falls and slips in creeks with them.

dmax
07-04-2010, 15:23
If they are lekis or simular brand, run your hand up into the strap from the bottom of the pole side. If that makes any sence.

Big Dawg
07-04-2010, 16:24
I know this was a silly question,

not so,,,, :D

Franco
07-04-2010, 18:23
Not the "right way" (because people don't like to be told they do something wrong...) but maybe a "better way " :
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm
Franco

LeafAndStar
07-04-2010, 22:10
I've only used a single pole so far, but I've been thinking of switching to two since everyone seems to love them so much. I've always just thought of trekking poles as lightweight adjustable replacements for the bit of stick I used to use. Willing to give it a try on my next outing though.

Lyle
07-05-2010, 07:25
Do yourself a HUGE favor and try out PacerPoles. I've used the others, switched to PacerPoles based on Brian Frankel's recommendation, will never go back. They are more comfortable, more efficient, not need to mess with straps, more effective (especially down-hill).

I've never figured out the resistance to these great devices. I've actually met folks who flat-out refused to even place them in their hand. That's usually all it takes to convince folks of their superior design.

http://pacerpoles.com/

Mrs Baggins
07-05-2010, 07:57
Do yourself a HUGE favor and try out PacerPoles. I've used the others, switched to PacerPoles based on Brian Frankel's recommendation, will never go back. They are more comfortable, more efficient, not need to mess with straps, more effective (especially down-hill).

I've never figured out the resistance to these great devices. I've actually met folks who flat-out refused to even place them in their hand. That's usually all it takes to convince folks of their superior design.

I'd still want the straps. I can stop anytime, never have to find something to lean the poles against, or drop them on the ground or try to hold them both in one hand while I try to get a water bottle with the other hand. I just let the straps slip onto my wrist, and both of my hands are free while my poles stay right with me. Or I just let the straps slip onto my wrists while I keep right on moving, getting water or wiping sweat off my face or whatever, let the poles drag alongside me until I'm done, and then grab the handles right up again. I've never found the straps to be something to "mess with."

Strategic
07-05-2010, 08:00

It may have something to do with the fact that plenty of us (me included) know exactly how our wrists would react to working at the angle pacer poles demand. Most uncomfortable things I've had in my hands in quite a while. I'm afraid that you're confusing what works for some with the perfect device for all. I'm glad that these are the first type for you, but it's a forlorn hope that they (or any other device) will ever be the second.

Blue Jay
07-05-2010, 08:40
They keep the stinging nettles from my legs. Plus for some strange reason I want to celibrate a type of gear.

Rocketman
07-05-2010, 09:28

I remember a Johnny Carson TV show from the 1970's. It featured a guy who had discovered that straight tool handles were convenient to make, but inconvenient and inefficient to use.

So, he patented a 15 degree offset from a straight handle for all kinds of tools. He had Carson use the tools on camera and Johnny was amazed and claimed that someday, all tools would be made to be ergonomically efficient like this.

My friend, who saw the show with me was all hot about his revolutionary idea. We had a big argument about it.

I never heard of these "new tools" with 15 degree offset handles again.

I was foolish enough to buy a pair of boots which featured "asymmetric lacing" and a couple more "asymmetric" features that were better because "our feet aren't symmetric". This meant that the boots were "more natural".

I managed to get my money back from that purchase.

I haven't bought any "rounded bottom" "more natural" shoes. Not the new ones on sale now. And not the "rounded bottom" shoes sold in the 1970's.

I'd only buy the Pacerpoles with an absolute money back guarantee. Or after I had borrowed a pair and used them. Probably not from advertising and probably not from a claim from somebody I didn't actually know.

I am sure that they benefit at least some of the people who buy them.

I have concluded that backpacking businesses can be just plain old American businesses, not pure-hearted idealistic enterprises.

Cookerhiker
07-05-2010, 09:31
after years of just using a walking stick...but, wanted to get feedback on the proper "instructions"...I found that using the pole to push off on the leg that is being lifted and set down for uphill, that is Right pole used for right leg lift, left leg pole for left leg lift, and likewise for downhill works best....but, I see where others are suggesting something different...

Is there any "right" way to use the poles?

Again, my ole trusty walking stick is still available :)

FYI there are plenty of existing WB threads on trekking poles which you can find using the "Search" feature. Here's one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55784&highlight=poles) for your perusal.

Lyle
07-05-2010, 10:07
I'd still want the straps. I can stop anytime, never have to find something to lean the poles against, or drop them on the ground or try to hold them both in one hand while I try to get a water bottle with the other hand. I just let the straps slip onto my wrist, and both of my hands are free while my poles stay right with me. Or I just let the straps slip onto my wrists while I keep right on moving, getting water or wiping sweat off my face or whatever, let the poles drag alongside me until I'm done, and then grab the handles right up again. I've never found the straps to be something to "mess with."

PacerPoles have retainer cords the you can use for exactly these purposes, but they are not used to get optimal benefit from the poles. They are strictly for convenience. No worries about HOW you place your hands through the cord. In general use, they are just there, with no strain on them.

Again, resistance without actually looking at them. Don't understand. :D

Lyle
07-05-2010, 10:13
It may have something to do with the fact that plenty of us (me included) know exactly how our wrists would react to working at the angle pacer poles demand. Most uncomfortable things I've had in my hands in quite a while. I'm afraid that you're confusing what works for some with the perfect device for all. I'm glad that these are the first type for you, but it's a forlorn hope that they (or any other device) will ever be the second.

Actually, PacerPoles keep your wrist in the natural, position of function. Straight poles require the contortions of the wrist, particularly when you are pushing against them in a climb, when the most stress is on them.

Oh well, I'm not going to belabour the point here. Those with an open mind, give 'em a try. Never heard from anyone who had tried them that weren't impressed.

earlyriser26
07-05-2010, 14:05
I switched from my trusty walking stick (broom stick) about 15 years ago. I made fun of hikers with those silly ski poles. Now I wouldn't go without them. Being older and much fatter I need the support. Right way? As everyone has said, just do what feels right. They have saved me from many a nasty fall.

Jester2000
07-05-2010, 15:34
They keep the stinging nettles from my legs. Plus for some strange reason I want to celibrate a type of gear.

Way to get sucked in by the pants marketing machine. You don't need pants to hike.

Strategic
07-05-2010, 20:18
Actually, PacerPoles keep your wrist in the natural, position of function. Straight poles require the contortions of the wrist, particularly when you are pushing against them in a climb, when the most stress is on them.

Oh well, I'm not going to belabour the point here. Those with an open mind, give 'em a try. Never heard from anyone who had tried them that weren't impressed.

You're not hearing what I'm saying here Lyle: that is not a true statement for me, period. I have tried Pacer Poles and they put my wrist in an un-natural position that tends to leave my hands numb inside of about fifteen minutes. Nothing is "natural" in an ergonomic sense for all people. I'm glad these things are so for you, but they are not for me, based on the empirical evidence I trust most, my own experiments with them.

Jester2000
07-05-2010, 22:09
You're not hearing what I'm saying here Lyle: that is not a true statement for me, period. I have tried Pacer Poles and they put my wrist in an un-natural position that tends to leave my hands numb inside of about fifteen minutes. Nothing is "natural" in an ergonomic sense for all people. I'm glad these things are so for you, but they are not for me, based on the empirical evidence I trust most, my own experiments with them.

If he continues to not hear you, he can continue to say, "never heard from anyone who had tried them that weren't [sic] impressed."

sbhikes
07-07-2010, 14:43
I usually carry two poles in one hand until I need the poles, either using the two poles as if they were a single one, or just holding them and not using them. Going up I plant the two at one time and pull myself up. Going down I plant one or two at a time for stability. For creeks it all depends on the creek.

Franco
07-07-2010, 19:40
No offence, but that is the perfect description on how not to use poles efficiently...
Franco