PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene versus White Gas

grrickar
11-08-2004, 23:29
Does anyone know which puts out more heat per ounce? My liquid fuel burns both, and I have been using only white gas. White gas is cleaner to burn, doesn't smell as bad when spilled (it evaporates, Kero is oily and smelly) but I think it lags behind kerosene as far as hear output. Maybe I was not using the right terms in my Google search; I couldn't find BTU info anywhere.

Hikerhead
11-09-2004, 01:53
Does anyone know which puts out more heat per ounce? My liquid fuel burns both, and I have been using only white gas. White gas is cleaner to burn, doesn't smell as bad when spilled (it evaporates, Kero is oily and smelly) but I think it lags behind kerosene as far as hear output. Maybe I was not using the right terms in my Google search; I couldn't find BTU info anywhere.

Kerosene is hotter by far. He lays down a line of smoke as he flys up the trail. He might get a little oily and smelly but I think that's limited to his feet.

Sorry, I couldn't lay off of that one. :p

SGT Rock
11-09-2004, 10:58
One gallon of gas has 125,000 BTUs and one gallon of kerosene has 135,000 BTUs.

Youngblood
11-09-2004, 11:04
One gallon of gas has 125,000 BTUs and one gallon of kerosene has 135,000 BTUs.

I did the math for you, kerosene has 8% more BTU's by volume. I wonder if there is a significant weight difference?

SGT Rock
11-09-2004, 11:26
Gasoline has a specific gravity of .713 and kerosene has a specific gravity of .820.
Water weighs 1.03 ounces per ounce, so kerosene weighs 13.51 ounces per gallon and gasoline weighs 11.75 ounces per gallon.

grrickar
11-09-2004, 15:22
Thanks for the info guys. I had seen a link once upon a time that a user said my stove worked best with kerosene, and with more BTUs per ounce I can see why. Since I don't have to swap the jet to try kerosene, and because Optimus states that kerosene does NOT gum up the stove any worse than any other fuel, I may give it a try.

Youngblood
11-09-2004, 17:13
Sarge, those weight numbers 'per gallon' for kerosene and gasoline don't look quite right... a gallon is 128 fluid ounces, right? But, from the specific gravity numbers and BTU numbers, doesn't gasoline contain more BTU's for the same weight of fuel? Anyhow, I think that as lightweight backpackers that is the comparison that we want to make.

Youngblood

Peaks
11-09-2004, 17:44
Sarge, those weight numbers 'per gallon' for kerosene and gasoline don't look quite right... a gallon is 128 fluid ounces, right? But, from the specific gravity numbers and BTU numbers, doesn't gasoline contain more BTU's for the same weight of fuel? Anyhow, I think that as lightweight backpackers that is the comparison that we want to make.

Youngblood

Sharp eyes. Looks like Sarg's weights are per pint (16 ounces), not gallon.