PDA

View Full Version : TarpTent Contrail

pattydivins
07-04-2010, 13:52
Why should I purchase this tent?

I am looking for a lightweight and practical tent. I like how it seems as though you can fiddle around with the tent to change its set-up for different conditions.

I am 6'1", do you think the size will be an issue?

Hello and thanks :)

Bags4266
07-04-2010, 14:46
I own and love my Contrail, but! If I were to do it again I get the Moment. Side entry, providing a better view and ventilation. Also it uses only two stakes as opposed to me bringing 6 for my contrail. 2 cents

garlic08
07-05-2010, 09:11
I have well over 5000 trail miles on my Contrail and I hope it goes 5000 more. It looks like it might. It's the best shelter I've ever had. You'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

I'm also interested in the Moment, but if I needed to replace the Contrail today I'd probably get another Contrail. The only reason is the Moment has a long hoop pole and I haven't had the best reliability from hoop poles. The beauty of the Contrail, to me, is its utter simplicity. Nothing has ever broken or gone wrong, even the zippers.

I'm only 5'-9", but my 6'-7" friend (The Two-Meter Man) does fine in his.

pyroman53
07-05-2010, 10:11
6 feet three inches...plenty of room...room to spare.

pattydivins
07-05-2010, 13:19
I ordered it! I had to get the optional front pole because I do not currently hike with hiking poles. Any experience with this pole?

I am so pumped I can't wait to sleep in my backyard in it.

mark schofield
07-05-2010, 16:59
I'm 6'6" and fit OK. Had it a few years with no problems. Take your time when you seam seal it. A good purchase.

Quoddy
07-05-2010, 17:21
I've had several different TarpTents from Henry and the Contrail is still my favorite. So fast to put up (around a minute), good protection, excellent ventilation, and lightweight. No real downside to this one... except, perhaps, if left unattended in winter snows.

Country Roads
07-05-2010, 19:48
Have had mine since 2007; Love it much! It should be more than long enough for a 6+ footer. I am trying to think of anything I don't like about it; only thing I can think of is that it takes up a lot of space, so might be tight for really small sites. You can set it up higher than normal setup for mild weather or really crank everything down for really bad stuff and still have enough room. Just remember to tighten the guy lines after the rain starts or it will sag, but this is common to all tarp/tents made of nylon. I think you will like it!

Bear Cables
07-06-2010, 20:50
You will love this tent. I know I do!

wrongway_08
07-06-2010, 21:55
Just use your hiking pole, no need to buy that pole.

Sorry missed the fact you didnt have poles.... my bad.

Don't know of anyone using the front pole. Is it adjustable? Just wondering.

Love mine.

pattydivins
07-07-2010, 01:48
I do not think it is adjustable. I have never owned hiking poles. I am going to buy a cheap wal-mart pair and give them a try on my next shake-down hike. I suppose it would be nice to adjust the height of the tent, and also it seems like it would be more stable.

English Stu
07-07-2010, 07:27
The Contrail is great had it for 3 years, it has more room than the Moment but I am moving to one of those; a bit more wind stable and Henry now does a roof liner for it, which will extend how long into the fall and winter you could use it. Side access is good.

The Contrail can flap in strong winds unless you can get the set up just right but thats not easy when its windy, although you can add extra side guys half way along the upper side seams to off set that. I have been in a heavy storm with no leakage.

Bags4266
07-07-2010, 10:46
I have the pole, its very light, you adjust it by angling it to the side. By doing this gives you better access to the tent.

Brass Rat
07-07-2010, 10:54
I am interested in knowing whether you can attach a cord from the Contrail's front peak pull-out, and angle it upward and away from the tent (to attach to a tree or to a tall hiking stick). Will it interfere with the front flap?

I don't, as of yet, do trekking poles.

Quoddy
07-07-2010, 20:42
I am interested in knowing whether you can attach a cord from the Contrail's front peak pull-out, and angle it upward and away from the tent (to attach to a tree or to a tall hiking stick). Will it interfere with the front flap?
There are a LOT of variations in pitching the Contrail. Here are a couple of the many I've tried.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/Quoddy1/BeakedContrail.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/Quoddy1/IMG_0574.jpg

Franco
07-09-2010, 00:58
Just had a look in this section for the first time in months..
So probably not relevant for the OP anymore but if anyone else wants to know...
"I am interested in knowing whether you can attach a cord from the Contrail's front peak pull-out, and angle it upward and away from the tent (to attach to a tree or to a tall hiking stick). Will it interfere with the front flap?"
Yes you can :
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-tree-hook-up.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-tree-hook-up-1.jpg
I carefully positioned the Contrail but still ended up with the guyline going sideways. It would sit a bit better if it was straight ahead.
( a mate of mine used this method when I lent him the Contrail thinking I had given him the Rainbow . He does not use trekking poles...)

I shot a few videos of the Contrail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n38trYmHBdk&feature
The other clips are there in my channel.
The stronger the front pole the stronger the set up is going to be. So don't try my bump test ( Contrail peg test...) with the Easton tent pole.
Franco

Brass Rat
07-09-2010, 08:58
Franco, that's awesome... thanks a lot! Exactly the info I was looking for.

pattydivins
07-13-2010, 15:05
I just got it today and set it up about a half hour ago, it is so cool and easy to set up. Just when I was finished setting up, the rain really started to come down. That was a nice feeling to climb inside the tent and see how well it performed in the rain, especially after tightening the guy lines to get rid of the sag.