PDA

View Full Version : How hot does it get in the Grand Canyon?

Shutterbug
07-04-2010, 15:23
How hot does it get in the Grand Canyon? I guess we will never know because the thermometer at Bright Angel Campground only goes to 140 degrees!!

At the Bright Angel Campground in the bottom of the Grand Canyon there are two thermometers. The "official" temperature is taken in the shade, but there is another thermometer that is intentionally placed out in the sun to demonstrate how much difference there is.

When we were there this week, the thermometer in the shade showed 110 degrees, but the one in the sun went well past the last number. It was hot!!!

modiyooch
07-04-2010, 21:15
When I was there it went from 95 degrees [plus to below freezing within 36 hours. It was May. We started out in the heat, woke to rain, and it was snowing when we returned to the top.

fiddlehead
07-04-2010, 21:22
I've been there many times but never in the summer.
When we kayaked it in '99, (22 days) we saw anywhere from 33 degrees (snow line was above us) to 80's and that was in March.
I can't imagine going there in July or August.

Reid
07-04-2010, 23:46
It's hotter in the bottom than the top. It sounds funny but it is. Hiking is great, but if you wanna get wowed hop in a helicopter.

Jim Lemire
07-05-2010, 07:11
It is desert at the bottom. 108 when I was there one July. Normal for mid summer.

Jim Lemire