PDA

View Full Version : Best tasting instant coffee?.....I listened to...

nawlunz
07-04-2010, 18:12
the suggestions from the Spring Backpacker issue. They raved about the Starbuck's Via coffee...I decided to try them. I was not impressed and didn't care for the taste. I know everybody has a certain preference, but I am used to excellent New Orleans coffee and on short trips, I bring the Community coffee bags!! Excellent.

However, I am trying to avoid packing out coffee bags, so I tried the Starbuck's..Not a Starbuck's fan for regular coffee, and the instant coffee (Via) tastes as burned and strong as the regular.

Anybody have luck with other instant coffees they want to share?

daddytwosticks
07-04-2010, 18:30
Tried Java Juice. These are packets of coffee concentrate in single-serving size. These are my favorite method of making coffee on a hike. Expensive. There are so many ways of getting coffee on the trail...you just have to experiment. I do use the Starbuck's Via as backup when I can't get the Java Juice. :)

10-K
07-04-2010, 18:33
Likewise, at the huts in the Whites they were selling Java Juice and I wasn't impressed with that either.

So far, Folgers singles are about the best/closest to real coffee that I've found.

FritztheCat
07-04-2010, 18:47
I have a one cup coffee steeper I picked up from REI a while back. Works great! I take a ziplock of my favorite coffee grinds, put them in the little container and stir it in a cup of boiling water. I can't do the instant stuff. I know people rave about the Starbucks brand but like the OP, I don't care for any of their coffee.

budforester
07-04-2010, 18:57
the suggestions from the Spring Backpacker issue. They raved about the Starbuck's Via coffee...I decided to try them. I was not impressed and didn't care for the taste. I know everybody has a certain preference, but I am used to excellent New Orleans coffee and on short trips, I bring the Community coffee bags!! Excellent.

However, I am trying to avoid packing out coffee bags, so I tried the Starbuck's..Not a Starbuck's fan for regular coffee, and the instant coffee (Via) tastes as burned and strong as the regular.

Anybody have luck with other instant coffees they want to share?
Lots of coffee discussions on WB. I'm packing single serve packets of Taster's Choice 100% Columbian or Nescafe Clasico. (and my taste buds are attuned to Community Dark Roast)

Nawlunz... hmmm... I don't know of any with chickory.

Hikes in Rain
07-04-2010, 19:34
I've never found anything better than cowboy coffee. One (or two!) tablespoons of ground coffee (preferably fresh ground) per cup, one more for the pot. Not quite boiling water, five minutes of steeping. Ambrosia.

Rain Man
07-04-2010, 20:21
I have some of the Java Juice and it just doesn't impress me. Have tried several varieties and alternatives for coffee on the trail. So far, for a match or balance of ease and quality, I like Nescafe 'Taster's Choice' in the little sleeves. It comes in several varieties. Just fine for my purposes, but then I'm no coffee nut. Usually I'm just as fine with tea or hot chocolate.

Rain:sunMan

Lemni Skate
07-04-2010, 20:32
Oh, good gracious! Why don't you hire a porter to hike with a portable coffee bean grinder and a solar powered espresso maker?

You're backpacking, not cruising on the Love Boat!

Just joking, I get pretty picky about certain things out there, too.

Hikes in Rain
07-04-2010, 22:29
Well, sometimes I do carry a little backpacking coffee grinder. No porter, though. :sun

Toolshed
07-04-2010, 22:30
Instant = Nescafe Tubes 2 tubes per 12 oz mug - These have served me well for about 2 years.

Reg'lar = my favorite roast with either a fully packed coughlins 1 cup filter (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___29570)
or
My favorite roast with my MSR mugmate (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=mugmate). I started with the coughlinsin the late 80's and the mugmate in the earll-mid-90's. I really like all 3 methods.. I usually just rotate through them, sometimes depending on time of year and such.

Mrs Baggins
07-04-2010, 23:16
Java Juice. I don't need my coffee to strip paint, so I can easily get two cups out of one packet. At 50 cents a cup....how is that "expensive"? It's pure percolated coffee condensed. I've tried the "tea" bags, the pods, instant, cowboy coffee......Java Juice beats them all.

10-K
07-05-2010, 06:08
Java Juice. I don't need my coffee to strip paint, so I can easily get two cups out of one packet. At 50 cents a cup....how is that "expensive"? It's pure percolated coffee condensed. I've tried the "tea" bags, the pods, instant, cowboy coffee......Java Juice beats them all.

How do you seal the packet between cups?

One of the gripes I have with JJ is that there's no way to get every drop out of the packet and that concentrated coffee stains anything it happens to drip on and it is sticky as all get out too.

Mrs Baggins
07-05-2010, 06:35
How do you seal the packet between cups?

One of the gripes I have with JJ is that there's no way to get every drop out of the packet and that concentrated coffee stains anything it happens to drip on and it is sticky as all get out too.

I drink both cups in the same morning. Just carefully stand the packet up against something until I'm ready for the 2nd cup. I just give the packet a good "smoosh" all the way down to get it all out, then I drop it in my zip lock bag that's used for trash. No problem.

njordan2
07-05-2010, 08:24
I like the Starbucks Via instant coffee, but I like Starbucks coffee. It is amazing how close via is to fresh brewed. I can not tell the difference.

I guess I should clarify. I have never had a bad cup of coffee. So that gives you some perspective on what level of coffee epicurean I am. For the most part the majority of the coffee I drink comes from an instant coffee machine on the shop floor of a steel forging factory.

Tasters choice in the little foil packs is probably the best if Via is too burnt tasting for you.

With all that said, I never drink coffee while on the trail. I have tried before and I crash so hard a couple hours later that I am done hiking for the day.

HeartFire
07-05-2010, 10:22
I have some of the Java Juice and it just doesn't impress me. Have tried several varieties and alternatives for coffee on the trail. So far, for a match or balance of ease and quality, I like Nescafe 'Taster's Choice' in the little sleeves. It comes in several varieties. Just fine for my purposes, but then I'm no coffee nut. Usually I'm just as fine with tea or hot chocolate.

RainMan,
Where do you get these little packets? I assume they must be cheaper than the Strabucks coffees (which I don't like all that much either)

Judy

Deadeye
07-05-2010, 11:08
RainMan,
Where do you get these little packets? I assume they must be cheaper than the Strabucks coffees (which I don't like all that much either)

Judy

http://www.minimus.biz/

has all sorts of personal sized stuff, including coffee packets (which you can get at lots of grocery stores,too)

Rick500
07-05-2010, 12:35
I do like Starbucks Via best, but it's expensive. The Nescafe packets are my second choice, and much cheaper.

Luddite
07-05-2010, 13:27
I have to agree with Rain Man on the Taster's Choice in the single serving packets. Its not bad and you wouldn't have to pack out soggy coffee bags.

Never tried the Java Juice but it seems like a good idea.

ken209
07-05-2010, 14:01
Heartfire wally world has nescafe clasico in the tubes.

Rain Man
07-05-2010, 18:06
RainMan, Where do you get these little packets? I assume they must be cheaper than the Strabucks coffees (which I don't like all that much either) Judy

I get them at several local grocery stores: Kroger, Harris-Teeter, Publix. At least, I think all those have the Nescafe "tubes."

Uncle Cranky
07-05-2010, 23:14
Two cups of instant swill is just fine for me in the morning.
The first to wake up my left eye and the second for my right eye.
General Foods International Coffee.
No need to pack sugar or cream neither 'cause its all conveniently mixed together.
It's GREAT to wake up in America!!!

Liv2Ride
07-06-2010, 07:45
Depends on what I'm feeling while I pack for a trip and whether it's backpacking, car camping or motorcycle camping and for how long. I've used the Nescafe packets, the Coghlans one cup filters, Snow Peak drip and the Jetboil french press. The Nescafe packets, Coghlan filters and the Snow Peak drip mean I have more trash to pack out . For semi lighter weight and definately no residual trash from filters or aluminum packets I prefer the Jetboil french press. I don't have a Jetboil and probably never will but for those that don't know, the french press fits perfectly in a Snow Peak 700 pot and if you're careful when plunging it you will end up with a perfect cup of brew. No, I don't pack out the grounds.

Bilko
07-06-2010, 09:04
Swiss Miss now makes instant coffee. Not bad, I had my first cups at Frank Sutton's Place in Manchester, VA a couple of weeks ago.

Spogatz
07-06-2010, 12:22
I love a cup of fresh brew but when I am on the trail I take an 8oz plastic coke bottle and put any cheap instant I can find in it. I guess I'm just not that picky.

SerenitySeeker
07-06-2010, 12:27
Tasters choice instant for me...it just hits my taste buds, i like the taste of decaf best but i like the cafeine too much,,,and swiss miss has a capacinno flavor hot chocolate i like as well

mister krabs
07-06-2010, 15:31
Mid City Represent!

http://www.coolbrew.com/index.html

I like this stuff with some milk. I bet it would be OK with NIDO and a little sugar.

mister krabs
07-06-2010, 15:32
oh yeah, and you can get it at Dorignacs or Robért.

medicjimr
07-06-2010, 17:42
Tasters choice Columbian in the little sleeves and I am a picky coffee drinker

daddytwosticks
07-06-2010, 18:06
I picked up my Java Juice at Mountain Crossings. I think they were about $1.50 to $2.00 each. Yes, I'm cheap...I think this is kind of expensive for instant coffee on the trail. :)

brotheral
07-06-2010, 19:38
I'm not a coffee gourmet, but sure enjoy a few cups to get things going & ease into each day.
I've been using Taster's Choice Original or Columbian (when it's on the shelves) for many years. I just pour some in a small plastic bottle sized for my needs. It works just great for me whether I'm backpacking or car camping. My girlfriend likes fresh brewed coffee when she "camps" with me. I bought a nice 9 cup stainless steel percolator from Campmor. :banana

Appalachian Tater
07-06-2010, 19:44
If the coffee is that important to you brew it fresh. There is some instant coffee that is decent with milk and sugar but even the best stuff is not so good black or with sugar only. Cowboy coffee works great or you can use some kind of permanent filter if you have a strong aversion to coffee grinds. You have to heat up the water anyway, so why not have real coffee?

Wise Old Owl
07-06-2010, 21:07
just discovered the value of 5 hour energy... better than two cups of coffee.

Liv2Ride
07-06-2010, 21:43
Mid City Represent!

http://www.coolbrew.com/index.html

I like this stuff with some milk. I bet it would be OK with NIDO and a little sugar.

Humm...interesting. I doubt that I would want to carry the liquid since regular ground and instant would weight so much less. But...the 500ml container that it comes in has my interest. I bet it would work well for fuel for an alky stove if you needed to carry a bunch and, it has the measuring piece built in. Could even use it as a flask. That is if you don't mind the taste of plastic mixed in with your Jack. Personally I'll keep using my stainless steel flask but it's certainly an idea for someone out there. :D

Liv2Ride
07-06-2010, 21:45

In a pinch, how right your are!! However, I still prefer the peace and relaxation that sipping a good cup of jo provides.

Bucherm
07-07-2010, 05:50

I see what you are saying, but even in this heat I prefer to make a cup of coffee when I get up at oh-dark-hundred.

on_the_GOEZ
07-07-2010, 06:35
Humm...interesting. I doubt that I would want to carry the liquid since regular ground and instant would weight so much less. But...the 500ml container that it comes in has my interest. I bet it would work well for fuel for an alky stove if you needed to carry a bunch and, it has the measuring piece built in. Could even use it as a flask. That is if you don't mind the taste of plastic mixed in with your Jack. Personally I'll keep using my stainless steel flask but it's certainly an idea for someone out there. :D
Ive been searching threads (and stores) for a while now and cant seem to find one of these self-measuring bottles. I saw someone with one on the LT last year using it for their alcohol stove and thought it was a great idea. Anyone know where to look?

10-K
07-07-2010, 07:17

Those are $2-$3 a pop aren't they?

Liv2Ride
07-07-2010, 07:29
Ive been searching threads (and stores) for a while now and cant seem to find one of these self-measuring bottles. I saw someone with one on the LT last year using it for their alcohol stove and thought it was a great idea. Anyone know where to look?

I don't know where to pick one up that's empty but you can always just click on the link and buy the coffee and keep the container when the coffee runs out. So far, that's my plan since I'd like to try that super charged, super concentrated coffee anyway :-?

mister krabs
07-07-2010, 08:26
I don't know where to pick one up that's empty but you can always just click on the link and buy the coffee and keep the container when the coffee runs out. So far, that's my plan since I'd like to try that super charged, super concentrated coffee anyway :-?

I bought an empty one at the liquor store, it was called "squeeze a shot" (http://www.google.com/search?q=squeeze+a+shot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Mrs Baggins
07-07-2010, 10:09
I picked up my Java Juice at Mountain Crossings. I think they were about $1.50 to $2.00 each. Yes, I'm cheap...I think this is kind of expensive for instant coffee on the trail. :)

I buy it like this....not even 50 cents each. I don't pay shipping because I have Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Java-Juice-Single-Flavor-Bag/dp/B002PC1KM8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1278511679&sr=8-2

When I've bought it in stores, usually REI, I've paid not much over a $1 each - so 50 cents per cup because I can get two cups from each pack. Buying it in bulk gets it down to 25 cents per cup. And it's real perked coffee.

***Just double-checked the listing*** This item is no longer eligible for Amazon Prime. Still, even with shipping, it's pretty cheap.

sly dog
07-07-2010, 12:42
I also like the starbucks Via packs. I always used the coffee bags in the past and they lacked flavor for me plus the garbage and time to let the bag soak. With the Via packs there is no wait and little garbage. The reason it is strong is that it is not instant but instead micro ground beans. I do like strong coffee but i also choose whiskey instead of wine coolers :D

mad4scrapping
07-07-2010, 22:31
I like strong coffee, so I use Cafe Bustelo. It's an instant cuban expresso. I get it at Food Lion. It's not too expensive. I buy the jar and measure out what I need into a zip loc snack size bag.

Khike
10-03-2010, 21:47
Had to put my 2 cents in... I like the Via. I use 2 cups of water for a packit, though. Much too strong in a regular size cup but good with 2 cups water. Never tried JavaJuice but I might now that I've heard about it. The Bustello guy has "perked" my interest. I am thinking that you do that like cowboy coffee?? Kevin

JAK
10-03-2010, 22:19
"Coffee is a popular brewed drink prepared from roasted seeds, commonly called coffee beans, of the coffee plant."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee

J5man
10-03-2010, 22:26
Check out your local oriental store, they have an instant "Vietnamese coffee" that comes in individual packs. Coffee, cream and sugar all in one pack. They come in a gold bag of 25 for something like $3.99. One of the best instant coffees I have had plus the price is a lot cheaper than the Starbucks ones which are a buck a piece.

SassyWindsor
10-04-2010, 02:25
Beaumont instant coffee from Aldi's Grocery. I find it to be not only the best, for my taste, INSTANT coffee, but the cheapest. My brewed coffee of choice, and I've drank a lot of different coffee's, is pure KONA, and probably one of the most expensive per pound. I will occasionally skimp and buy the blended beans, which I'm sure is 1 KONA bean per 1000 of something else.

Forever North
10-04-2010, 03:24
I need coffee in my hike. My morrning is'nt the same with out it. I boil water throw real coffee into the boiling water then useing a straner :-? I pour the coffee through the straner and into a cup. Then I add REAL sugar (Yes, I carry real sugar) then I add some dry milk and I am in heaven:sun. The only thing that can make it any better is if I have another hiker stop by for a morrning cup of coffee with me.:welcome
Life is great,
It's humans who make it complcated (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS381US382&&sa=X&ei=5ICpTKjwMoOdlgeO1e34DQ&ved=0CBEQvgUoAA&q=It%27s+humans+who+make+it+complcated&nfpr=1)

Hikes in Rain
10-04-2010, 06:35
Oh my god! Real coffee, real sugar! Oh, the humanity!

What sort of strainer? I make cowboy coffee, too, but object (just a little) to the grounds in my cup.

Khike
10-04-2010, 07:03
I carry BOTH!!! 6 ounces of EACH! For a nine day hike. It just makes it better!!!! Kevin

daddytwosticks
10-04-2010, 07:23
I'm a real sugar and cremora type of guy myself...on short overnighters, I've been known to take those ultra-pasturized, shelf-stable little tubs of half and half every now and then. :)

4eyedbuzzard
10-04-2010, 08:54
I've been known to take those ultra-pasturized, shelf-stable little tubs of half and half every now and then. :)

Yep. Nothin' like real cream (okay nuclear 1/2 & 1/2) - and sugar.

Rick500
10-04-2010, 09:58
Anyone use Nido in their coffee? It just occurred to me that I probably don't need to carry creamer powder and Nido, both.

4eyedbuzzard
10-04-2010, 10:01
Anyone use Nido in their coffee? It just occurred to me that I probably don't need to carry creamer powder and Nido, both.
Hard to find in stores (at least here in NH). I've been looking to try it. I used to carry whole (not non-fat) dry milk for coffee and pudding and such but it's gotten harder to find it lately in regular grocers.

Hikes in Rain
10-04-2010, 12:10
I use NIDO in mine, unless, like daddytwosticks, I take the little tubs of half and half. I worried a bit about them, though. Can you imagine the mess if one ruptured in the food bag?

I started using honey in my coffee back in the early '70's, because "it's healthier". Then I learned to calculate amounts of trace minierals and how few I was actually getting in that spoonful, but by that time, I was hooked on the taste. Still use it today.

amac
10-04-2010, 12:47
Hard to find in stores (at least here in NH).
4eyedbuzzard, Not sure if you have any Super WalMarts near you, but I can find Nido at the Walmart in Amherst, NH any time I need it.

mad4scrapping
10-04-2010, 13:20
The Food Lions in Richmond carry Nido. In fact, they have a nice selection of hispanic foods.

sbhikes
10-04-2010, 13:47
I did a taste test with Starbucks Via and Nescafe instant and preferred the Nescafe by a mile.

Farr Away
10-04-2010, 17:25

Absolutely can. I prefer the little half n half containers, but Nido works pretty well.

If it gets old, it can be visually unappealing (looks curdled) after you stir it into hot coffee. So store it in the freezer after opening to extend shelf life; or use it quicker.

-FA

Farr Away
10-04-2010, 17:29

What sort of strainer? I make cowboy coffee, too, but object (just a little) to the grounds in my cup.

I use a coffee filter in one of those little drain screens. Didn't think about making cowboy coffee then just screening out the grounds. I've been using my setup like a drip coffee maker, but it takes a while and can turn out a little weak or cool off too fast.

This could work out MUCH better! :cool:

-FA

brotheral
10-04-2010, 17:46
I did a taste test with Starbucks Via and Nescafe instant and preferred the Nescafe by a mile.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur, but I've found that Nescafe Taster's Choice satisfies me just fine. I carry this, some sugar, and powdered creamer in small plastic bottles... Carry the same stuff in larger containers when car camping along with some additional flavored (cinnamon) creamers....:)

Forever North
10-04-2010, 17:52
Oh my god! Real coffee, real sugar! Oh, the humanity!

A metal one that fit's in the cup. I may look heavy as a tank with my pack but baby I got coffee and sugar.

Cherokee Bill
11-09-2010, 18:42
:-? Thanks for all the info on coffee! Great opinions/ideas :rolleyes:

Doc Mike
11-09-2010, 20:55
I ordered a case of tasters choice from amazon. Very handy to have but like other posters I'm not real picky and usually while hiking I'm mixing it with hot chocolate for breakfast. I drink the Via also and find it ok but not worth the price. Now that i have said that if I could find a way to power the keurig so i could have a K-cup of anything on the trail that would be great. Maybe the previously mentioned porter could carry it and the K-cup carosel for a selection.

Doc Mike

Namaste
11-09-2010, 21:26
I prefer cowboy coffee but decided to take along the free samples of the Starbucks Via on my trip last week. I usually don't like Starbucks because of the burnt taste but I enjoyed the Via. Hey, the temps were freezing down in VA, hot ANYTHING was better than nothing. I did mix some hot chocolate with one of the packets and that was really tasty.

Rick500
11-09-2010, 21:37
...if I could find a way to power the keurig so i could have a K-cup of anything on the trail that would be great...

Love my Keurig too... I confess to missing my Coffee People Black Tiger when I'm away.

mkmangold
11-09-2010, 23:28
Depends on what I'm feeling while I pack for a trip and whether it's backpacking, car camping or motorcycle camping and for how long. I've used the Nescafe packets, the Coghlans one cup filters, Snow Peak drip and the Jetboil french press....

I ditched the plunger that comes with the Jetboil french press, plugged up the center hole it screws into, and just use a tent stake to depress it. When not using the french press, my coffee of choice is whatever free samples I can get. As for sugar and milk (or "non-dairy creamer"), why ruin the great taste of a cup of coffee with that junk? Also saves weight.

sheepdog
11-10-2010, 03:07
All instant coffee is nasty

it had to be said

Farr Away
11-10-2010, 10:55
I don't know if I'd say instant coffee is nasty, but it's definitely not coffee.

-FA

Lyle
11-10-2010, 13:04
RainMan,

Judy

I get the Taster's Choice packets at Dollar General. They aren't the best coffee, but I use either these or coffee bags. They are convenient, but need to use two packets per cup.

Where did manufacturers get the idea that a cup of coffee/hot chocolate/cider/etc. was 6 oz? :-?

jerseydave
11-11-2010, 08:32
I'm new to al of this so please excuse me if this sounds foolish for any reason........

I was simply going to mix a couple of teaspoons of Folgers instant along with a packet or 2 of art. sweetener into tiny ziploc baggies (2in x 2in) and toss as many as needed (overnighters) into a larger ziplock. If anyone wished, they could add powdered creamer to the bags as well.........

Heat a cup of water, dump a baggie, drink.......

Bad thinking?

Dave

Liv2Ride
11-12-2010, 17:15
....Bad thinking?Dave

Nope. It's a great idea. Sounds like you've been around long enough to know a good idea when you think of one....

english
11-21-2010, 15:49
I use my daughters baby bottles and fill them with Nescafe "Tasters Choice", coffemate & sugar. Works great even down 26' F! When you come to a view worthy of a cup of joe, you need good coffee to compliment the view IMO

Doc Mike
11-22-2010, 11:55
I use my daughters baby bottles and fill them with Nescafe "Tasters Choice", coffemate & sugar. Works great even down 26' F! When you come to a view worthy of a cup of joe, you need good coffee to compliment the view IMO

Do people then accuse you of nursing your drink......lol

english
11-23-2010, 00:34
Doc Mike - only when I add a nip of Baileys! ;)

WI_Mike
01-13-2011, 15:24
Just so people know as I didn't notice anyone mention it (I may be wrong though), there are a bunch of different kinds of VIA and now they have flavored VIA too. Just mentioning it as I like strong coffee but I don't like a dark ("charred") roast. So if you didn't like one of them you might want to try another roast and see if you like it better. In my case I think one for me would be Columbian, which is also what I drink every morning.

(No I don't work for Starbucks and they aren't my favorite coffee, but they are pretty reliable)

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/via

hikerboy57
01-13-2011, 15:29
I brought a coffee press with me on a 2 wk section hike thru the whites year before last.Although the taste was great,I found it close to impossible to clean properly, switched to Starbucks Via last year, not as good but pre packed and no mess.

JaxHiker
01-14-2011, 22:32
That's been my concern. I had the coffee press for my JetBoil when I used that and it was a pain. I asked for a MSR Mugmate but have never used it for fear of the same cleaning problems. I just use Taster's Choice instant.

sarman
02-07-2011, 21:37
Nescafe tubes with swiss miss. It just doesn't get any better watching the sun rise.

LDog
02-07-2011, 23:59
I brought a coffee press with me on a 2 wk section hike thru the whites year before last.Although the taste was great,I found it close to impossible to clean properly, switched to Starbucks Via last year, not as good but pre packed and no mess.

Properly made cowboy coffee is very similar to french press, and the cleanup is a whole lot easier.

Get your water boiling, turn the heat off, add in the grounds, stir, cover, wait 4-5 minutes, stir again to get the grounds to sink. Pour into cups thru a tea strainer. Nirvana!

Gipsy
02-08-2011, 02:31
Lots of coffee discussions on WB. I'm packing single serve packets of Taster's Choice 100% Columbian or Nescafe Clasico. (and my taste buds are attuned to Community Dark Roast)

Nawlunz... hmmm... I don't know of any with chickory.

Community coffee has instant on their website ...... with chickory (New Orleans Blend)

TheChop
02-08-2011, 02:48
I really should try the Nescafe packets. I've been using the Via. In real life I like to get a great cup of coffee from our local roasters with just a little skim milk to sweeten it. On the trail when I'm tired, cold and just woke up I kind of like getting kicked in the nuts by my coffee and the Via does that well.

RGB
02-08-2011, 02:58
Via is great when my budget allows for it. It's better than Starbuck's normal overpriced *****ty coffee.

Papa D
02-08-2011, 08:19
Ok - you folks are in my orbit - I have done the Starbucks Via thing for quite a bit - I end to ended the Long Trail with a zip-lock of about 30 of the things and they are pretty good - for the last month I've been working on 2 jars of medagliadoro instant espresso - this stuff is amazing - it has a creamy taste and needs no cream - i've done it with a little sugar and without - it's so good either way. Mine came from Earth Fare Grocery Store but I've got a link for you cats here: www.medagliadoro.com/
Enjoy!

zeus307
02-08-2011, 13:02
I have to agree Taster's Choice has my vote. Easy to find in stores and tastes good. That is what my girlfriend and I drink when we go out on any trail!! Coffee a must have!!!!
Good place to find it is at a Dollar General store. 7 tubes in a box for a $1

mikec
02-08-2011, 13:47
I found some packets of coffee-cream-sugar or coffee-cream at some dollar stores that I often take backpacking. It's nice to have to just empty one packet into a cup, then add hot water.

58starter
02-08-2011, 14:44
Tasters Choice, good and very affordable, Target has it on sale from time to time and I get several 10 and 20 packs.

RGB
02-08-2011, 15:05
If I could get some Yemeni coffee out there, that would be a dream.

Skidsteer
02-08-2011, 15:45
What's stopping you?

OldStormcrow
02-09-2011, 22:37

Anybody have luck with other instant coffees they want to share?I carried some of the new Starbucks instant coffee packs last fall and found them to be pretty good, although outrageously priced. I find it hard to pay $3.99 for three cups of instant coffee, no matter what fancy yuppie brand is on it. I also tried one with Bushmill's Irish whiskey......not bad at all. I still prefer to carry my old press-pot/cup and put some freshly ground Kenyan in it. If you can't be good to yourself, who else will?

Woodhawk
02-24-2011, 22:49
try blending coffees and/or flavors (if you want) and you can make batch amounts and keep it folded in filters ready to go whenever

sbhikes
02-24-2011, 23:28
I like to get some of that Cafe Vienna (those square tins) and mix in some instant Nescafe to make it stronger and more coffee-flavored. Carry it in a baggie.

LDog
03-05-2011, 22:49

Here's what I use for cowboy coffee. Got it at World Market.

http://webpages.charter.net/bghouse/Chilly/Photos/P1010322.jpg

300winmag
07-20-2011, 22:04
VIA seems too strong tasting. I like similar "tubes" of Taster's Choice. Sometimes I fine grind my beans and put a heaping tablespoon in a sealable tea bag. I got a box of 'em at a kitchen store at THE GROVE in LA.

Eric

caffeine
08-29-2011, 02:07
Hey there. Java Juice is coming back to Amazon and you can get it from there
warehouse. I know lots of folks are on a budget, but this stuff is from high
end beans and was made for the gourmand hiker. It's not instant. It's brewed extract from
fair trade Arabica beans, and for my money 1.50 for organic brew in the am is wayyyyyy cheaper than a 4.00 latte at a corp coffee house. Yes. I've been a fan of their field coffee since I discovered it at Cumberland Gap. Yes, I have scoured the globe looking for something I could really enjoy on the trail...and Yes, I am one of those coffee snobs. But I've had the same tent and gear for 20 years and counting. Java Juice is my outdoor splurge. I like Filson too.

caffeine
08-29-2011, 02:12
Hey there. Java Juice is coming back to Amazon and you can get it from there<br>warehouse. I know lots of folks are on a budget, but this stuff is from high<br>end beans and was made for the gourmand hiker. It's not instant. It's brewed extract from <br>fair trade Arabica beans, and for my money 1.50 for organic brew in the am is wayyyyyy cheaper than a 4.00 latte at a corp coffee house. Yes. I've been a fan of their field coffee since I discovered it at Cumberland Gap. Yes, I have scoured the globe looking for something I could really enjoy on the trail...and Yes, I am one of those coffee snobs. But I've had the same tent and gear for 20 years and counting. Java Juice is my outdoor splurge. I like Filson too.<br>

jeramie75
09-23-2011, 22:23
The best tasting product I found is Mazel. Coffee, creamer and sugar all in one.

oldnevada
09-23-2011, 23:21
A very nice signature, Rain Man. Thanks for the reference.

Rain Man
09-25-2011, 22:36
A very nice signature, Rain Man. Thanks for the reference.

You are very welcome, ON.

winnowedsoul
09-26-2011, 02:08
I am by far a Turkish coffee fan, yes I take sugar, though it takes time to make(Imena more than boil and dump), it's rich, delicious, packs a punch and no need to strain as you just let the grounds settle

PSST
those that don't know it's a fine ground coffee with cardamon, often drank in small cups like espresso but the sugar is boiled in before the grounds are added

Bridget11
12-07-2011, 07:27
I personally prefer Nescafe Blend 37. It is good in taste and very aromatic. Also it is excellent and usually affordable.

rocketsocks
12-07-2011, 08:53
Not sure where to post this coffee/ramen.:-?One time (not,at band camp)I was fixin' some ramen under the Kurig and forgot to remove the pod from a earlier cup of coffee,:oand got ramen noodles with chicken broth flavored coffee.:eek:I drank/eat it.......and it was none to good,so don't do that .Not unless your pressed for time at breakfast,2fer.:D

Connie
04-10-2012, 14:47
I like Nescafe Clasico or Nescafe Suave.
These two are the only instant coffee I like.
They are low-acid but flavorful.
There are individual packets, but I have only seen full box of packets sold online.
It isn't so difficult carrying the freeze-dry coffee or the liquid creamer.
I boild the water two or three seconds at a full roiling boil, not more, or too much oxygen leaves the water. (It becomes stale water, losing it's fresh flavor.) I add three 1/4 teaspoon coffee to 8 oz water. Stir.
I add Coffee Mate Cafe Latte for breakfast or Baileys Original Irish Cream for after dinner.

dgm
08-02-2012, 09:09
Is there any instant coffee that has the creme and sugar included. I lugged around coffee hounds along with dry creamer and sugar for me and the wife all through the Nat. Nat Forrest. Looking for lighter alternative.

Farr Away
08-02-2012, 11:12
Nescafe has a product called Cafe con Leche. I've found it in WalMart in the Mexican food section. I don't know if it would be any lighter than just carrying instant coffee, dry creamer, & sugar separately though.

You could also just mix your own. (Especially if you thought you might end up carrying too much of one of the components "just in case".)

Lyle
08-02-2012, 15:39
Nescafe Classico in a Ziploc, creamer in a Ziploc. Light, convenient, not bad tasting. Even drink it at home occasionally. Obviously, I'm not a coffee snob.

Maddog
08-02-2012, 16:27
Not sure where to post this coffee/ramen.:-?One time (not,at band camp)I was fixin' some ramen under the Kurig and forgot to remove the pod from a earlier cup of coffee,:oand got ramen noodles with chicken broth flavored coffee.:eek:I drank/eat it.......and it was none to good,so don't do that .Not unless your pressed for time at breakfast,2fer.:D
LMAO!!! I stay away from the Keurig! That thing is the Devil! Maddog:)

Maddog
08-02-2012, 16:33
Btw...I use the Folger's singles! It works for me! Maddog:)

coolness
12-20-2012, 14:17
I've tried Taster's Choice from the jar and their singles. I've also tried the Starbucks VIA tubes. They're OK but I wanted a "brewed coffee". On my first hike, a 35 miler, I brought along a small coffee pot - a thru-hiker saw it and hence my trail name........ Well, I bought the MSR Mugmate and it makes a pretty good cup o'joe. :cool: I think I paid $15 for it. Good coffee with a Little Debbie pie for dessert.......

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 14:47
Im not picky, Via works for me. Its not great,but its OK. I might have to give some others a try.
I drink coffee straight black, so I dont need fluff.
I can never find the type Im looking for though, Walmart seems to have mostly decaf most of the time.
Used to have a gas station near me that had them on the counter for $0.60 each, cheaper than walmart.

Valley Girl
11-11-2013, 11:32
I am a huge fan of Aroma Coffee Turkish.

Namtrag
11-11-2013, 12:40
Is there any instant coffee that has the creme and sugar included. I lugged around coffee hounds along with dry creamer and sugar for me and the wife all through the Nat. Nat Forrest. Looking for lighter alternative.

Trader Joe's sells them in a box of 10...doesn't taste great unless you use two packets per cup, but it's pretty good to me when I do that. Pretty cheap too, I believe we pay 1.99 or 2.99 for the box of 10.

aficion
11-11-2013, 12:47
If you can acquire a taste for black coffee, Cafe Bustello has excellent flavor at a bargain price. While not instant, its quick enough. Boil a tablespoon or two in a cup of water or two. Turn it off and let it sit a couple of minutes. Drink from the pot (the grounds will be on the bottom at this point.) Heavenly.

Namtrag
11-11-2013, 13:41
If you can acquire a taste for black coffee, Cafe Bustello has excellent flavor at a bargain price. While not instant, its quick enough. Boil a tablespoon or two in a cup of water or two. Turn it off and let it sit a couple of minutes. Drink from the pot (the grounds will be on the bottom at this point.) Heavenly.

BEST COFFEE EVER!!! Never thought to take it on the trail! Would need creamer though, as I still can't take black coffee, even at 52 years of age.

OCDave
11-11-2013, 14:49
At home, I have a fresh ground, small batch, dark roasted coffee ritual. I like good black coffee.

On the trail KAVA instant coffee is a suitable subsitute. For me, FAR SUPERIOR to Starbucks' instant product.

http://www.kavacoffee.com/home.asp

Tipi Walter
11-11-2013, 15:02

Nido works good in coffee when backpacking. I'm off Nido now and use dried goat milk---even better, see below fotog.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Test-Gallery-For-Trip-150/i-SvVP3K5/0/M/TRIP%20150%20006-M.jpg
This is Via coffee with powered goat milk slowly dissolving.

Just so people know as I didn't notice anyone mention it (I may be wrong though), there are a bunch of different kinds of VIA and now they have flavored VIA too. Just mentioning it as I like strong coffee but I don't like a dark ("charred") roast. So if you didn't like one of them you might want to try another roast and see if you like it better. In my case I think one for me would be Columbian, which is also what I drink every morning.

(No I don't work for Starbucks and they aren't my favorite coffee, but they are pretty reliable)

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/via

Yes, everyone mentions Via but there are at least 6 different types of Via. They pack well for backpacking and I've been on a Via Veranda blend kick for the last couple months. Before that it was Colombian Via.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/TRIP-137/i-3Ccg7qn/0/M/TRIP%20137%20084-M.jpg
My Via packet taken during a backpacking trip and placed on my trip journal paper.

Ok - you folks are in my orbit - I have done the Starbucks Via thing for quite a bit - I end to ended the Long Trail with a zip-lock of about 30 of the things and they are pretty good - for the last month I've been working on 2 jars of medagliadoro instant espresso - this stuff is amazing - it has a creamy taste and needs no cream - i've done it with a little sugar and without - it's so good either way. Mine came from Earth Fare Grocery Store but I've got a link for you cats here: www.medagliadoro.com/ (http://www.medagliadoro.com/)
Enjoy!

I went thru my D'oro phase and it's good too. Presently I'm heavily into my Mt Hagen organic instant coffee phase.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Test-Gallery-For-Trip-150/i-98JwWNH/0/M/TRIP%20150%20330-M.jpg
This is what Mt Hagen organic coffee does just as it starts to get hot---with nothing else in it. Marbled. My morning coffee fix includes Hagen instant, some honey and the goat milk. Excellent cold beverage too for on-the-trail sippage.

Dogwood
11-11-2013, 15:15
Starbucks Via micro ground(not freeze dried) single serve packets don't have to be expensive! I went into a Fourbucks near closing time, I guess when Via was first being introduced. There was a basket on the counter to take for free for me samples. I asked the frazzled overworked wanting to go home barrista if I could take three packets, one of each kind of Via in the basket. He said, "take all of it if you want AND I have more under the counter if you want that too." "Uhh, yeah" was my reply. Total score 255 Via packets!

My free(well almost free) Starbucks Via individual packets scoring spree doesn't end there. As I was walking down the strip in Reno(on a PCT section hike, and TRT hike) homeless folks kept trying to sell me big bundles of Via packets(wrapped in rubber bans, in plastic and brown bags, etc). It was a shady area and I know other things that weren't legal were being sold on the streets. But, I found out it was legit. A few of the local homeless shelters were handing out the VIA individual packets to those in "coffee need." I uhh wanted to support the homeless so I was buying upto 40 individual Via packets at a time for about $2. After I amassed several hundred packets I closed up shop. Spent $2.20 mailing those packets home for after my hiking trip. Took me almost two yrs to drink all that Via coffee. It's greatly convenient when you're a coffee guzzling traveler wanting to be a tightwad.

If you like Starbucks Via(again micro ground, not freeze dried) you do not need to pay full retail by buying it at a Fourbucks store. For example, Wally World sells 8 packs of Via for about $7-8 and larger individual packet dispensers in bulk that significantly lower the cost per unit in the single serving packets. But like others are saying there are many alternatives, possibly being more convenient and possibly less expensive, to enjoying a cup a joe trailside.

Dogwood
11-11-2013, 15:39
Tip for Tipi. I too take dried Meyenberg Goat milk on hikes(a number of advantages IMHO with dried goats milk compared to dried cow's milk). Goats milk is more readily digestible compared to cow's milk and often doesn't contain the antibiotics, hormones, blood and puss that's in cow's milk. You're not going to hear what I just said from the dairy industry though. And, even if you do they'll dismiss the significance of it. I'm noticing Meyenberg Goats Milk(in both liquid and dried packets/cans) more and more in main stream conventional grocery stores. It would definitely change the taste of coffee though but I suppose that can be said about cow's milk and sweeteners as well. Goats milk takes some getting used to just as low fat/no fat cows milk takes some getting used to.

Anyhow, Tipi warm the water/liquid before you start slowly mixing in the powdered goats milk(or cows milks) and you'll have less caking(cottage cheesy like chunks) and a quicker mixing in of the powdered milk. What I see in your pot is what my goat's milk added to liquids USED TO RESEMBLE.

max patch
11-11-2013, 16:07
A few of the local homeless shelters were handing out the VIA individual packets to those in "coffee need." I uhh wanted to support the homeless so I was buying upto 40 individual Via packets at a time for about $2. After I amassed several hundred packets I closed up shop.

If I was going to do business with the homeless I certainly wouldn't take advantage of them.

Tipi Walter
11-11-2013, 16:22
Tip for Tipi. I too take dried Meyenberg Goat milk on hikes(a number of advantages IMHO with dried goats milk compared to dried cow's milk). Goats milk is more readily digestible compared to cow's milk and often doesn't contain the antibiotics, hormones, blood and puss that's in cow's milk. You're not going to hear what I just said from the dairy industry though. And, even if you do they'll dismiss the significance of it. I'm noticing Meyenberg Goats Milk(in both liquid and dried packets/cans) more and more in main stream conventional grocery stores. It would definitely change the taste of coffee though but I suppose that can be said about cow's milk and sweeteners as well. Goats milk takes some getting used to just as low fat/no fat cows milk takes some getting used to.

Anyhow, Tipi warm the water/liquid before you start slowly mixing in the powdered goats milk(or cows milks) and you'll have less caking(cottage cheesy like chunks) and a quicker mixing in of the powdered milk. What I see in your pot is what my goat's milk added to liquids USED TO RESEMBLE.

Thanks for the tip. I usually add the goat powder right after the coffee starts to boil and I shut off the stove and add honey and then the milk. It clots. I'm thinking to add it now when the coffee water is cold. One system I use at home is to have a mix jar and add hot coffee to the mix jar and add the goat milk and put on the lid and shake vigorously. Pour back into the coffee. This works very well but the glass jar is too heavy to hump.

yerbyray
06-24-2014, 00:02
Properly made cowboy coffee is very similar to french press, and the cleanup is a whole lot easier.

Get your water boiling, turn the heat off, add in the grounds, stir, cover, wait 4-5 minutes, stir again to get the grounds to sink. Pour into cups thru a tea strainer. Nirvana!

The way I was taught to make it was get water to boil, add grounds, cover and wait 4-5 minutes and then add a touch of cold water, makes the grounds sink to bottom of pan and pour. I have done it a hundred times in Revolutionary War reenacting camps without complaint.

rocketsocks
06-24-2014, 02:41

The way I was taught to make it was get water to boil, add grounds, cover and wait 4-5 minutes and then add a touch of cold water, makes the grounds sink to bottom of pan and pour. I have done it a hundred times in Revolutionary War reenacting camps without complaint.the way I was taught was to....

Get my buddy to boil, add grounds, cover and wait 4-5 minutes and then add a touch of cold water, makes the grounds sink to bottom of pan and pour. :D...while I kick back and put my feet up.

Damn Yankee
06-24-2014, 08:04
Likewise, at the huts in the Whites they were selling Java Juice and I wasn't impressed with that either.

So far, Folgers singles are about the best/closest to real coffee that I've found.

I love the Folgers Black Silk.

Another Kevin
06-24-2014, 09:17
I'd do the cowboy-coffee method (dash in a little cold water to settle the grounds) but today's grinders, be they the ones that pregrind beans in the store or the little ones that sit on your countertop, seem to grind differently and the grounds don't settle properly. (My grandmother's grinder with the crank on the top did a fine job.) I'd gather the grounds by throwing the white and shell of an egg into the pot, but that requires having an egg. So I actually bring an old-fashioned pour-over coffee filter as one of a few luxury items in my bag.

A pill envelope from CVS holds a single serving of ground coffee nicely. I'll usually brew my coffee (and a second cup, as well) into a Nalgene with a cozy made of Reflectix and flue tape. It's nice, sipping a second cup as I'm walking out of camp in the morning.

Venchka
06-24-2014, 12:05
Mrs. Wayne thinks that I should carry one of these on the trail. I am almost on her side.

In the meantime, I am in the midst of a long term test between Starbuck's Italian Roast Via and Medaglio d'Oro instant espresso. Starbuck's Via wins on packaging. I suppose the instant espresso would travel ok in a Ziplock bag.

Wayne

Rolls Kanardly
06-24-2014, 14:41
So far, for a match or balance of ease and quality, I like Nescafe 'Taster's Choice' in the little sleeves.

Now this is way too funny. This is my stash at work. I only have one and when everyone else is running around complaining about someone forgot to buy coffee, I have my Taster's Choice.
Rolls

magneto
06-24-2014, 15:14
Just take your favorite coffee and grind it ultra fine, as if for espresso. It will dissolve in hot water and the "mud" will sink to the bottom of the cup.

We call this "Turkish/Armenian/Arabic/Greek coffee" because that is how they drink it in those parts of the world.

It will be good and strong - you don't need much. Add a dash of sugar. Very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Kevin
06-24-2014, 17:54
How do you make good Levantine coffee without a cezve (an ibrik, or whatever you call it)?

JumpMaster Blaster
06-24-2014, 18:26
http://www.minimus.biz/

has all sorts of personal sized stuff, including coffee packets (which you can get at lots of grocery stores,too)

Why have I not heard of this company before? Exactly what I need.

Hikes in Rain
06-25-2014, 06:52
..... So I actually bring an old-fashioned pour-over coffee filter as one of a few luxury items in my bag.....

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mMp4vjmW4FuGionvI1aj20g.jpg

Found a little set of three of these in our grocery store. The middle size seems to fit over my old Sierra cup best. Does a pretty good job of filtering out the non settling grounds. Also doubles as a strainer to keep the floaties out of my water bottle. Just hold it in the flame from my alcohol stove to sterilize.

Starchild
06-25-2014, 07:52

Now this is way too funny. This is my stash at work. I only have one and when everyone else is running around complaining about someone forgot to buy coffee, I have my Taster's Choice.
Rolls

The columbian Taster's Choice IMHO is the second best instant next to Via.

perdidochas
06-25-2014, 09:41
I love the Folgers Black Silk.

It is pretty good. It's my second choice, after starbucks via, based on taste. It's my first choice for best value--combo between taste and price.

NomadVenture
06-29-2014, 14:58
I do a two in one. I do my meal with my coffee, RAW protein or Raw Meal (a powdered meal option) and contains coffee from Marley Coffee who may have some instant options.

Venchka
06-29-2014, 16:31
It is pretty good. It's my second choice, after starbucks via, based on taste. It's my first choice for best value--combo between taste and price.

Which flavor of VIA do you all like? I have only tried the Italian. I like it. Curious to know what others think.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2014, 18:07
Oh, good gracious! Why don't you hire a porter to hike with a portable coffee bean grinder and a solar powered espresso maker?

You're backpacking, not cruising on the Love Boat!

Just joking, I get pretty picky about certain things out there, too.

whats a Love Boat? isn't that for old people?:eek: