PDA

View Full Version : Luxurylite external frame packs

Country Roads
07-04-2010, 20:08
Have any of you used a LuxuryLite external frame pack? I am rather short and small (5 footish). I have considered purchasing one for long AT section hikes. The price is kinda steep, so I was hoping for input from other women, before I make the leap. Any information or opinions, especially on fit, would be much appreciated.

moytoy
07-05-2010, 07:23
I personally have not used this pack, but I built my pack bags from pics of the LuxuryLite and mounted them on my 40 year old aluminum frame. Works for me! Go to http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4732 for a discusion about the LuxuryLite.

moytoy
07-05-2010, 07:36
Another thread about the pack where a lady or two chime in. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4690

skinewmexico
07-05-2010, 12:37
Some guys on BPL are big fans, not sure about women. You might seach there.

Country Roads
07-05-2010, 19:40
Thanks everyone for the quick response. Sounds like it might a good AT pack and just maybe I might someday make it to the PCT :-? Hmmm:-?.

Country Roads
07-06-2010, 20:40
Well, I pulled the trigger on a LuxuryLite pack. I like that they have a 30 day return policy. I will give it a whirl and let everyone know how it works out from a woman's perspective.

Knee High
07-07-2010, 19:11
I just joined whiteblaze today and saw your post regarding the Luxury Lite. Sounds like you already bought one?
I bought one at Trail Days in.....'03 think? I LOVE IT. Favorite pack. He has changed the hip belt since I bought mine...I believe the hip belt now is separate from the pack and has a little place on the hip belt for the pack to rest on?...but mine is the old style with the hip belt attached to the pack itself. I truly love this pack.

Country Roads
07-09-2010, 21:17
I should be getting mine around the end of next week, so I should be able to give an update by next weekend (unless I am hiking with my pards :)). Glad to hear that you like yours. I like that I can keep my wet stuff separate from my dry stuff and food separate from everything else. I should be able to give it a good work out this summer.

Knee High
07-10-2010, 10:47
The great thing about this pack is that there is no weight on the shoulders (as long as you carry the front bag, as it is what counter balances everything). It carries like a dream.
I've used mine for hundreds of miles and after the Whites and Southern Maine, I have a couple pin holes in the 'fabric' from dragging and scraping on rocks, but Bruce said to just cover those with a tiny piece of duct tape.

Country Roads
07-10-2010, 16:49
I am definitely hearing a lot of good stuff about this pack. I am getting kinda amped up to get mine so I can "drive" it around the local woods. It is to ship Monday, so will probably get it around Fridayish. I like externals, but a lot of them are heavy and clunky. It will be nice to be able take only the cylinders I need for a given trip. 1 for day hikes, 2 for Ultralite overnighters and 3 for long trips. If it works well, I might have to have a pack sale for some of my oldies, but goodies.

Country Roads
07-25-2010, 18:18
Okey dokey. Received pack this past Wednesday. I like how the pack belt fits and that it is not attached to pack because sometime I like my hip belts to ride high and sometimes low. I like the pack. It transfers 100% of the weight to the hip belt. The front pack seems like it should work well, at least on open trails. I have not had a chance to take it for a walk yet because I had to solve a small problem first: The top bar wacks me in the back of the head (it is He!! to be short). So, I solved the problem by wrapping a compression strap around the vertical bars so that it was shoulder high, then I "laminated" pieces of a closed cell foam pad together until thick enough (about 2 inches) so that the pads hit my shoulders first. This is leaving about 2 or so inches for my head. Problem hopefully solved. I did notice on the web site that they are having supply problems for the aluminum tubing and are out of the stackpack frames (I got lucky!).

Will post again after actually getting the pack out for a hike.